Fiat Coupe Club UK

Different rear subframe and suspension?

Posted By: Ferrarist

Different rear subframe and suspension? - 07/05/2018 19:16

Sitting under car cover for 3 years, my Coupe recently told me that having two 20VT engines ready to be fitted, it's a crime if i did not fit him one, and drive it again.
OK, i said, but you're little bit too heavy and weighty car, and i'm eager to shave few kg's from your body.....and i will start from your rear end.
So - i'm planning to remove entire rear subframe, suspension, fuel tank, and fit one from Alfa 156.....
Pros - weight.....can save a lot...A LOT.....it's toe in-out and can be easily made to be camber adjustable.....
Cons - few cuts here and there, some welding as well, new alloy fuel tank, which is my last problem. Do the job by myself so no labor.
Anyone did something before?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 08/05/2018 17:02

Search in the tuning section for. Gtv rear subframe.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 08/05/2018 17:03

https://redcdn.net/hpimg15/pics/329288DSC02004.jpg

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 08/05/2018 18:14

Yeah, friend of mine did a similar project, it's a trackday car and i even drove few laps.....i may sound rude, but i don't like it....bit complicated, and still heavy.....
Posted By: sharman

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 09/05/2018 15:30

From what I've read the gtv rear suspension is superior for handling, being multi link it keeps the wheel base constant as the suspension compresses. But the penalty is As you say, it's complex and weighs more. Just my thoughts, with the 20v coupes being so front heavy to start with , would lightening the rear end even more be wise?
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 09/05/2018 18:13

Originally Posted By sharman
Just my thoughts, with the 20v coupes being so front heavy to start with , would lightening the rear end even more be wise?

That was my thought too. You'd have to lighten up the front too. Having done two track days, I noted that the rear can be twitchy. I'm not sure what the weight distribution is on the Coupe. Maybe 60:40 Front bias?
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 10/05/2018 10:24

20vt weight distribution is about 2/3 - 1/3, front to rear.

Taking weight from the rear end should only be a consideration after you’ve taken a fair bit off the front (imho, of course)

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 10/05/2018 14:13

Removing weight is always benefit, no matter front or rear balance affected. Overall laptime or 0-400 is better when weigh less. Since you select first gear and release clutch - less weight always better......
Handling will be affected, but can be corrected way too easy than hassle of removing weight.....2-3 cm wider rear tires is easiest way.....
Fiberglass front bonnet, battery moved and we can have 30kg lighter front end.
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 10/05/2018 15:33

Use this battery, and you'll save even more weight:

https://www.ev-power.eu/LiFeYPO4-batteries-12V-1-1/Lithium-Battery-LiFePO4-12V-20Ah.html

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

If you remove the plastic housing, the 4 individual cells can be rearranged to mount as low and flat as possible. LiFePO4 is a safe chemistry, not prone to explosive fires like their LiPo cousins.

I used one for more than a season without any complications, but managed to forget about it while the car stood for some time and so went tits up... now measures between 2 and 3 volts on my Fluke frown

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 10/05/2018 18:17

I'm already using this type batteries on my V6 engined trackday 156's, it can start 6 cyl engine many times with no problems, so 5 pot will be even easier......
click to enlarge
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Different rear subframe and suspension? - 12/06/2018 06:39

We (me and injekciona) have fiber glass mold for the front bonnet. The problem is that this thing is quite large and brittle for bulgarian dispatch "killers" like ECONT or SPEEDY -> not transport friendly smile If you have some kind of pick up truck you can take it wink
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK