Fiat Coupe Club UK

Wavetrac LSD

Posted By: Trappy

Wavetrac LSD - 26/07/2019 09:25

Does anyone know if Wavetrac do an LSD that could be fitted to a 20vT? They look to be a better than a Quaife ATB in a number of areas...
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Wavetrac LSD - 26/07/2019 19:59

It doesn't look like their application list covers Alfa / Fiat, so I think you're out of luck

I've had a read of the tech specs and I can see that Wavetrac has overcome the main ATB failing of zero drive if one wheel has zero traction. However, I've never suffered this since fitting my Quaife, so I'm not convinced its a worthwhile benefit. What other aspects do you see the Wavetrac being better than the Quiafe?

Re: Wavetrac LSD - 29/07/2019 07:39

Originally Posted by Nigel
It doesn't look like their application list covers Alfa / Fiat, so I think you're out of luck

That was my suspicion.

I've had a read of the tech specs and I can see that Wavetrac has overcome the main ATB failing of zero drive if one wheel has zero traction. However, I've never suffered this since fitting my Quaife, so I'm not convinced its a worthwhile benefit. What other aspects do you see the Wavetrac being better than the Quiafe?

2) During the transition from accel to decel, all gear diffs except WavetracŪ, do nothing.

Point 2 in the above article. If I'm honest, having never driven a car with an LSD I'm not even sure what this phenomenon would feel like but it does sound like another, perhaps minor issue, that they've overcome.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Wavetrac LSD - 29/07/2019 13:54

Whilst I'm sure that Wavetrac's claim is technically correct, I'm pretty sure that in anything road-based, the behaviour of the diff in the transition from deceleration to acceleration is going to completely unnoticeable. For a turbo'd car, there's no way you'll notice it, as the turbo lag will be massively more significant than the split-second delay of the diff transitioning from zero torque across the axles.

Its all a moot point though if you can't get a Wavetrac. You should drive a car with a Quaife - there are some definite disadvantages compared with Viscodrive (such as a fairly sudden transfer of drive from one side to the other if one tyre starts to lose traction). However, the benfits far outweigh the disadvantages - the way a Quaife'd car pulls out of corners while hard on the power is just spooky - very counter-intuitive until you get used to it.

Re: Wavetrac LSD - 30/07/2019 07:38

Whilst I'm sure that Wavetrac's claim is technically correct, I'm pretty sure that in anything road-based, the behaviour of the diff in the transition from deceleration to acceleration is going to completely unnoticeable. For a turbo'd car, there's no way you'll notice it, as the turbo lag will be massively more significant than the split-second delay of the diff transitioning from zero torque across the axles.

Its all a moot point though if you can't get a Wavetrac. You should drive a car with a Quaife - there are some definite disadvantages compared with Viscodrive (such as a fairly sudden transfer of drive from one side to the other if one tyre starts to lose traction). However, the benfits far outweigh the disadvantages - the way a Quaife'd car pulls out of corners while hard on the power is just spooky - very counter-intuitive until you get used to it.

It'll have to be a Quaife then laugh My brother has a 310bhp Astra VXR with one and he raves about it too - that's probably the only car I could have access to drive. I'm sold anyway to be fair. Those handling characteristics sound very much to my liking. Big plans for the coop smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wavetrac LSD - 31/07/2019 09:52

+1 for quaife - best mod on the kit car ever, and the most satisfying mod I've ever done apart from the single turbo conversion on the RX7.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK