Fiat Coupe Club UK

Another suspension question

Posted By: mrc

Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 09:00

Hi all, sorry it's been so long BUT I'm still here and the plus is still going strong, I just don't get much time to drive it! frown

I desperately need new suspension, I'm still running the original old shocks that have past their best! Seeing that Bilstein's and even standard shocks (fronts on back order) aren't even an option right now. I'm left with what the hell do I do. I don't track my car or don't really plan on doing so, so I don't think I really need coilovers.

I have read on other posts that people are buying these OSRAVs from Zagato Lancia, are these any good and do I still need standard top mounts and rubbers bearings etc?

Or what other options are out there, I really want to get this sorted ASAP as I want to enjoy driving my coupe!
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 09:13

I've ordered the OSRAVs via zagato as the Konis require hacking of the original front shocks which just feels wrong to me

Jamie
Posted By: carmine

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 11:37

Greetings.

I know it can't compete with the brands you described above, but I installed two years ago, the TRW front / rear shock absorbers in combination with lowered springs + 17 wheels,
I must say that they are not bad and the driving is not tough.

I recommend to always change the domes + more bearings and to ascertain in what state the upper rubbers are where the springs end, also check the bumsptop.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 13:41

Looks like there's still choice on ebay?

Dampers

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 13:59

When I entered vehicle details it said they didn’t fit a 20VT, albeit I think they do

Anyway good spot to use something closer to OE

Cheers Jamie

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 14:00

Decent advice thumb thumb
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 14:15

This question comes up quite often and there are threads regarding the subject and more often that not the question asks what type of driver you are and what do you expect from your suspension. Do you do track days, are you a fast driver or are you a normal driver that wants a comfortable ride. Personally I favour the comfort these days, Monroe shocks and lowering springs do the job for me. Of course there is more to the system like uprated torsion bars, drop links, suspension arms etc. worth checking these while you’re at it.

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 15:32

Originally Posted by Jamiepm
When I entered vehicle details it said they didn’t fit a 20VT, albeit I think they do

Anyway good spot to use something closer to OE

Cheers Jamie

From memory the 20VT and 16VT shocks are interchangeable, but as I recall the front camber setting is the difference and I'm sure there's probably differences in damping rates for OE parts. In the aftermarket world I'd bet there's not much real world difference

I'd also say try and find the part numbers for known parts that fit, and then search by those rather than say 'Fiat coupe shock'
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 15:56

Could Steve at AA help you out?

01484 865086

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 16:09

Standard (MONROE) front shocks from Steve are on back order!

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 17:06

With a little more help from Google:

https://m.autodoc.co.uk/trw/2198029
Posted By: wink

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 20:43

My experience is that the OSRAVs are a big improvement on the Monroes, no-brainer if you have the funds. They bolt straight on, keep your top mounts assuming they're ok.

Re: Another suspension question - 12/10/2022 21:26

I've ordered new top mounts to go with the osrav/eibach combo,as I want predictable handling
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Another suspension question - 13/10/2022 08:41

Could you find someone with a coupe with the BC racing coilovers and get them to set it to the softest setting and see what it is like? laugh

Re: Another suspension question - 13/10/2022 09:25

When are we going for a ride then? smile
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Another suspension question - 13/10/2022 09:38

You've got some time to wait on that one I'm afraid
Posted By: 386ka

Re: Another suspension question - 01/11/2022 18:04

Is there any information if the 16vt Monroe shocks are good for 20vt?
Posted By: wink

Re: Another suspension question - 01/11/2022 22:01

Personally I'm not impressed with Monroe but it's a case of what you can get or afford.
Posted By: paul

Re: Another suspension question - 18/11/2022 09:20

sorry missed the quote on this post rolleyes
Posted By: paul

Re: Another suspension question - 18/11/2022 09:22

Originally Posted by szkom
With a little more help from Google:

https://m.autodoc.co.uk/trw/2198029

I've used TRW stuff in the past and found it to be ok, but never used TRW shocks, has anybody else ever tried them ?
Posted By: carmine

Re: Another suspension question - 18/11/2022 12:10

hello, as I said above,
I installed them 2 h years ago in combination with hörmann short springs, I am happy with them.

Attached picture SmartSelect_20221118_130935_Gallery.jpg

Re: Another suspension question - 06/03/2023 19:18

So are the front shocks the same for the 16vt and 20vt or are they different? Still having a nightmare finding standard front shocks and now I have 2 coupes that need new suspension! 🤣
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Another suspension question - 06/03/2023 22:46

Originally Posted by mrc
So are the front shocks the same for the 16vt and 20vt or are they different? Still having a nightmare finding standard front shocks and now I have 2 coupes that need new suspension! 🤣

Post in Parts Wanted?

Re: Another suspension question - 03/06/2023 17:21

So I’ve got everything I need now via autodoc. But I’m now considering not fitting the eibach springs to my project car and keeping them for my main coupe. The question is, what standard springs should I order as I see autodoc offer different makes? I’m looking for all 4 springs!
Posted By: Alan_K

Re: Another suspension question - 03/06/2023 18:21

I bought off alternative autos thru eBay
Autodoc bit of guesswork involved

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16474603...r=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK