Fiat Coupe Club UK

Getting the suspension sorted

Posted By: aust_powers

Getting the suspension sorted - 11/05/2009 10:12

Hi all,

I have now covered 147,000 on what I imagine are still some original suspension components.

I know two years ago I had the front wishbones/Track rods/Droplinks replaced for an MOT (although how well the MOT garage did the job is questionable rolleyes )

I do limited milage at the moment but I am finding the ride has got very bumpy (particularly at slower speeds) where I'm sure it used to be more complient)

Tyre pressures are correct and although I am due more front tyres shortly, I'm fairly convinced that they wouln't cause this.

Does it sound like new shocks and springs may sort this?

Regards

Austin

Re: Getting the suspension sorted - 11/05/2009 16:12

bump smile
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Getting the suspension sorted - 11/05/2009 16:17

Yes I'd say so, as well as new wishbones and drop links as these now being 2 years old an won't be anything like new ones.

If you really want to sort the handling have a look at Billie shocks, eibachs springs and a top strut brace, makes a massive difference over the standard set up thumb

Re: Getting the suspension sorted - 11/05/2009 16:40

Are Billie shocks ok to be run on standard springs? I'm happy with the ride height.

Thanks

Austin
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Getting the suspension sorted - 11/05/2009 16:53

If you're happy with the ride height look at new standard shocks then, go for after market as they're just as good as the genuine Fiat unit and half the cost, also look at changing the rears.

Re: Getting the suspension sorted - 11/05/2009 19:26

I'll update the thread once I've got everything sorted, thanks.

Austin
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: Getting the suspension sorted - 12/05/2009 19:04

Originally Posted By: aust_powers
Are Billie shocks ok to be run on standard springs? I'm happy with the ride height.

Thanks

Austin

yes they are fine with standard springs

Re: Getting the suspension sorted - 14/05/2009 15:20

Well It looks like I won't be able to get the billies. I checked with AA and they have a full set for £539.35 inc vat(cash is short this month).

Standard Shocks all round work out to be £227.46 inc vat, which I believe are monroe shocks.

Are new standard ones really that bad?

Thanks

Austin
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Getting the suspension sorted - 14/05/2009 15:27

Replacement standard dampers are fine if your using them with a standard spring and after 147K miles a fresh set of dampers are going to feel great smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK