Fiat Coupe Club UK

Coupe shared Chassis?

Posted By: Anonymous

Coupe shared Chassis? - 25/04/2010 22:17

Does the Coupe have the same, if not similar chassis to the Fiat Tipo? I heard somewhere it's based on a Fiat Tipo anyway so a few Tipo bits are interchangeable?

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 25/04/2010 22:26

yes, i think its the same chassis as the tipo, also some parts are from the lancia integrale, well the track rod ends are, i like to think fiat took the best of their fleets to make the best car they could.
Posted By: MattM

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 25/04/2010 22:26

Yes it is a fiat tipo chassis
Posted By: Per

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 25/04/2010 23:19

I may be on thin ice here but isn't the newest Bravo STILL based on that floorpan..?
Modified, obviously, but it is based on Stilo and I'm pretty sure Stilo was based on the old Bravo/Brava. Which was based on Tipo.
So in that case - that floorpans had a looooong life! smile

Anyhow, we do know that it's also the base of Fiat Tempra, Marea, Lancia Delta (nuovo), Dedra, Lybra, Alfa Romeo 145,146,147,155,156,GT,GTV and Spider...
I'm sure I still forgot some.. smile

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 25/04/2010 23:28

just shows shes a tried and tested chassis
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 26/04/2010 06:24

The coupe doesn't have a chassis as such because it's a one piece body shell.
It does share the same floorpan as a tipo but this was added to with two completely different subframes front and rear. These gave the coupe it's extra body length and the mounting for the different suspension at the front, the rear suspension is the same as the tipo, just different shocks and springs.

http://www.fiatcoupehistory.com/e_bodengruppe.htm

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 26/04/2010 07:36

So is the front sus totally different on a Tipo then? Only reason I ask is a Tipo Sedici is being broken near me and it has Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs on it going very cheap and I wondered if they'd fit my car?

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 26/04/2010 08:51

Not sure if it's totally different, it runs different angles and mounting points

Remember the 20vt is different from a 16vt when it comes to dampers and I'm not sure what dampers the Sedici Tipo was running. Possibly the 16vt setup unless he'd gone for the brembo conversion then it would be a 20vt hub.
Ask him smile

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 26/04/2010 08:54

Maybe there is different in body length between Tipo & Coupe, but they still have the same wheel base.

As far as I know, they are the same front suspension mounts.
But with variation in A-arms & hubs depends on category. (16v, 16vt, 20v or 20vt)

So, these Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs will fit properly (if hubs are the same ) but rates need to be checked.
Posted By: mattB

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 26/04/2010 09:02

NA shocks wont fit to turbo hubs.

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 26/04/2010 09:10

At last, If they wont fit in yours, it will fit in mine wink yipee cool

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 26/04/2010 09:17

Ah ok well if they're useless to me that's not an issue as we can sell those on. ra_XOr you seem interested lol!
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 27/04/2010 13:24

Originally Posted By: Per
Anyhow, we do know that it's also the base of Fiat Tempra, Marea, Lancia Delta (nuovo), Dedra, Lybra, Alfa Romeo 145,146,147,155,156,GT,GTV and Spider...
I'm sure I still forgot some.. smile

I didn't think the 156 shared any common floorpan with the Tipo? I only say this, as you would be able to steal the double wishbone setup from the 156's
Posted By: Per

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 27/04/2010 13:52

As you say, it should be possible.. smile
The 155 front end + subframe is closely related (the OMP lower brace is, as you know, the same for 155 & 156). Just look under the bonnet, one can see the similaritys! smile
The rear suspension is different though, as on Lancia Lybra etc. too.

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 27/04/2010 16:49

It's a very similar looking subframe on the 156 with the addition of the mounting points for the little upper wishbones.

I'm not sure on the angles for the damper and the coupe top mount in the wing to mount a 156 subframe to a coupe.
I'm also not sure it's worth it, the 156 still suffers with understeer just like the coupe.

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 27/04/2010 22:46

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
The coupe doesn't have a chassis as such because it's a one piece body shell.
It does share the same floorpan as a tipo but this was added to with two completely different subframes front and rear. These gave the coupe it's extra body length and the mounting for the different suspension at the front, the rear suspension is the same as the tipo, just different shocks and springs.

http://www.fiatcoupehistory.com/e_bodengruppe.htm

What a load of tosh Jim i'd be telling who ever wrote that junk that they are wrong, sub frames are identical on the tipo, the front and rear are exactly the same. The coupe has a larger overhang but the wheels base is the same. Wishbones are narrower on the tipo then the coupe which is the same as the Alfa 145/6 155. The rear arms are nearly the same with a small increase in centre line to outboard mounting. Putting coupe arms and wishbones on the tipo widens it's track FandR thats what I did with Coupe 16v parts and shafts. Infact all Brava bravo tempra, dedra 155 146 145 delta HPE have the same main subfame and front frame, the 4wd versions of course are different. The mounting width etc are also the same. A floor pan includes the suspension mounting points, only alfa changed this with the 156 where you can see the original tipo design has extensions on the front turrets for the double wishbones, and the rear has the mcpherson set up with struts. No doubt dome drilling and cutting could get the 156 suspension onto the Tipo floor pan, and save some weight in the rear (steel tie rods weigh hugely less than the iron arms).

Didcoop if you use tipo parts you will end up with significant negative camber at the front due to the wider track, and the tipo spacing will only fit the 16v non turbo as the turbo has much larger bolt spacing on the upright. Rear shocks/springs would be no problem.

Re: Coupe shared Chassis? - 28/04/2010 07:30

Fair enough Rich, I was only stating what Fiat wrote in the coupe technical manuals but I guess they were trying to justify the £24k price tag for another Tipo ?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK