Fiat Coupe Club UK

Race Rubber...

Posted By: Anonymous

Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 12:44

now i know this may have been done to death, but what options are there for the track animals of the forum..

there is the usual's...

R888's
click to enlarge

Yokohama A048r

click to enlarge

what other options are there for people?

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 12:54

If for road use as well then hankook RS2's are worth a look. Otherwise those two are the ones to go for.

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 13:01

888's are great but suspect in standing water. Toyo will however send you details on how to re-cut a 888 to wet pattern.

Hankook's have very good reputaion as has the Kuhmo V70
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 13:13

AO48 have a very soft sidewall - great for very light cars and for drag racing, but they would be unsuitable for the front of a Coupe (I know - I've tried)

For the last three TOTB events, I ran Dunlop DZ02s on the front (much wider tread area and quite stiff sidewalls) and the AO48s on the rear

DZ02 have been superseded by DZ03 now

Never tried Toyo 888s
Posted By: Taffy20vt

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 14:04

I had the A048's on at Spa and they were fantastic. Not tried 888's so can't comment.

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 14:08

Nigel are these the ones?
click to enlarge

alfatim...
these ones?
click to enlarge

also, what other ones are there? im want to try to make a list of the best track rubber for the coupe!
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 14:53

My 888s have been outstanding. Hot or wet track. But caution with standing water as said before.
Last summer i believe i pushed them to the limit in very hot temp's. Very pleased with them.
I cant comment on the other's though.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 15:13

As an aside, I drove home on my trackday tyres from TOTB 2009 and it threw it down with rain

As long as I kept the speed down to about 60, they were OK, but any faster, or if there was a small puddle, I became a passenger.

Not a pleasant drive....

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 15:15

Originally Posted By: Marco20valveT
Nigel are these the ones?
click to enlarge

alfatim...
these ones?
click to enlarge

also, what other ones are there? im want to try to make a list of the best track rubber for the coupe!

Yup thats them. tbh I would like to try the Kuhmo next (used 888's for years) or the Dunlop, the Dunlops of old were just brilliant (I think Nigel must have a bigger tyre budget than me)

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 15:21

which ones are cheaper..

going to be a fun aftetrnoon for me! lol

(standard rim - 205 50/55 r16)

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 15:42

track tyer prices...
click to enlarge
R888's

click to enlarge AD08's

click to enlarge Hankook Z212

click to enlarge A084R

click to enlarge
i cant find the dunlop's price tag..
Nigel??

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 16:43

This was Joe (cc) group buy for 888s last year.
http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=988811#Post988811
Posted By: Per

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 17:08

Toyo R888 any day! smile
I doubt any tire could touch it on the track.

I have them on the std 16" wheels and never drive them in the streets. If you do they wear quickly, are very noisy and lousy in the wet. wink

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 17:16

2nd that.
Posted By: Ecrab

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 17:36

I've been looking at what to choose for my next set of tyres. Federal 595 RSR's seem to have good reputation. Anyone tried these on a Coupe
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 17:42

Toyo 888's for me too. Gone through 2 sets last year frown

Need another set soon, or always willing to try a cheaper alternative. Perhaps the Hankooks or the Kumhos I might give a go. Or just bite the bullet and buy the best (888's)

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 20:09

Link Toyo Proxes R1-R?

James

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 20:27

Originally Posted By: MiniMetaller
Link Toyo Proxes R1-R?

James

Mmm just emailed them for a price

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 20:29

we need another GB on some of these before Spa!!!
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 21:54

Would it be ok to drive from g the uk to spa on track tyres likely a stupid question

Re: Race Rubber... - 07/01/2011 22:28

Originally Posted By: coupedummy
Would it be ok to drive from g the uk to spa on track tyres likely a stupid question

i believe most "track" tyres are road legal, though not ideal for long journeys possibly? especially in the pouring rain! i certainly wont be buying 888's as i cant justify that money for going on track, gently, once a year - but some of the others i would if i could then use them on the road
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Race Rubber... - 08/01/2011 01:23

Originally Posted By: Taffy20vt
I had the A048's on at Spa and they were fantastic.

So did MCMike and yes, they were excellent tyres and held well, whether the track was dry, damp or wet.

Re: Race Rubber... - 08/01/2011 10:04

Did anyone get a price on the A048's ?

I imagine that a group buy from Camskill could be sorted on all the makes, ie a certain % off on whatever tyre you choose. It's worth looking into.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 10:33

You also have the MaxSport RB5
click to enlarge
Not that many sizes, the only 16" is a 205/50R16 and is priced at £68 a tyre

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 11:01

£68 per wheel!

thats my kinda cheap!!!

and they look good too!
any one tried these?

i only want them for Spa... and possibly a track day...

Oh found a link!
http://www.maxsport.uk.com/acatalog/Maxsport_RB5_Tyre.html

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 11:40

Originally Posted By: Begbie
You also have the MaxSport RB5
click to enlarge
Not that many sizes, the only 16" is a 205/50R16 and is priced at £68 a tyre

Are they road legal? E marked?

Look like they are ripe for recutting into an 'interesting' pattern!

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 11:43

Remoulds?

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 11:53

what patteren can you cut them into?

why would you need to?
they look fine, tried to call them with no luck, but im tempted to try these out!!

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 12:13

Marco, I absolutely agree with you on price, I squirm everytime I have to buy tyres!

The pattern on these are simular to the Colway, inter's. Not good in the wet (a quick look at tread pattern shows there is nowhere for the water to go). Would be better (imho) to cut them so the water had somewhere to go, ie; out from the edge of tyre.

Usually these type of tyres have a minimum 17% cut tread to comply with rally tyre regs.

Looking at the website is does mention difering 'casings' which would indicate they are remoulded, but Im happy to be corrected.

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 12:37

you know more than me mate!

how the hell do you cut them to do that??

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 12:57

Originally Posted By: Marco20valveT
you know more than me mate!

how the hell do you cut them to do that??

Cutting truck tyres is common place, car tyres a bit more tricky.
You need a car tyre cutter/regroover, a steady hand and some informed sensible guideline. Toyo do a specific guide to recutting the 888 into a wet tyre, but some common sense should prevail.
I know some race guys who buy the ex-touring car slicks (or clio's, Ginetta's etc) and they recut the slick into a simple inter. These are obviously not road legal, but much cheaper to play with on trackdays.
Posted By: gj88

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 12:58

Originally Posted By: magooagain
I imagine that a group buy from Camskill could be sorted on all the makes, ie a certain % off on whatever tyre you choose. It's worth looking into.

I tried to sort out a cheaper price on tyres for club members a while back with no luck.

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 13:22

lad here races fiestas, they buy tyres then cut/trim to their prefered pattern

in fact he describes it as "shaving" them

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 14:11

Er, 'shaving' is compeletly different (sorry)

Recutting is cutting new grooves into the tyre to make a nice new pretty pattern (or sometimes 'shaving' off scrap rubber that has picked up on tyre)
Shaving, is shaving down the existing tread to make more useable for purpose. ie; 6mm of tread on a hot day will result is a much poorer grip than 2.5mm tyre as the tread blocks move around less.

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 14:48

ah yes, i remember now - that's what he said the function of shaving was, cheers alfatim

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 15:28

Originally Posted By: alfatim

Recutting is cutting new grooves into the tyre to make a nice new pretty pattern (or sometimes 'shaving' off scrap rubber that has picked up on tyre)
Shaving, is shaving down the existing tread to make more useable for purpose. ie; 6mm of tread on a hot day will result is a much poorer grip than 2.5mm tyre as the tread blocks move around less.

I am interested in doing this,can i just get one thing clear. Is it cutting new tread or just making the existing tread deeper ?
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 16:28

New thread / extra thread / ...

You need a threading tool for it though, to make sure you don't cut too deep or uneven.

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 17:32

Originally Posted By: magooagain
Originally Posted By: alfatim

I am interested in doing this,can i just get one thing clear. Is it cutting new tread or just making the existing tread deeper ?

Cutting new grooves. I would not suggest ever cutting any deeper as this (especially on a car tread) would almost certainly result in going through to the wire cords.

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 17:35

You need one of these

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport...r/1657/0/134356
Posted By: Taffy20vt

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 17:48

I looked into the RB5's and read alot about people having blow outs at over 100mph (Pretty sure it was on the Scooby forum). I reckon a standard Coop could hit 120 - 130 down the straight at Spa.

It's a risk I wouldn't take.
Posted By: Ecrab

Re: Race Rubber... - 10/01/2011 19:29

I've looked into MaxSport, not suitable for track days. they are made for short rally stages where the tyre temperature doesn't get too high. Difficult to balance as well
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK