Fiat Coupe Club UK

20vt transplant project - discussion

Posted By: Anonymous

20vt transplant project - discussion - 04/09/2012 20:30

Id just like to add here, that without this forum and the truly amazingly helpful people on here, I would never of attempted the work I'm doing and my car would of probably been sold for scrap. So I'd like to say a huge thank you to those that so far have, and hopefully others will, as I continue with this project.

I'm not sure why my picture is coming up as a link on the project post confused

Re: 20vt transplant project - 04/09/2012 21:50

Originally Posted By: swin
said "F*** me I'm having this"

lol ive done that in the past when i bought my first turbo'd car an ERST S1 laugh paid 2.5k for it and left 500 deposit till end of week.

But on the other hand,sorry about the engine giving in mate. My bravo 20v did the same one night on way back from a meal with the missus,was gutted! I know its not a 20vt but i know how you feel as my bravo was my pride+ joy frown

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 05/09/2012 11:34

Aye it's pure devastation mate, no matter what car it is if it's your pride and joy. The amount of people I get at the door asking to sell it then asking "what is it?" rolleyes but there's no chance I will be selling even if it takes me another 5 years to get on the road laugh

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 05/09/2012 15:54

That's 1 reason why my bravo is still sat on the front smile
Can't come to turms with gettin rid. Even if I did,I wouldn't get much as there's no interest in them.....so it stays with me smile

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 06/09/2012 12:38

Good stuff!

It's nice to see effort going into this, it'll look brilliant once it's done.
Posted By: lost55

Re: 20vt transplant project - 15/09/2012 12:51

I think you deserve a medal for getting this far and sticking with it smile

Hopefully you're past the worst now. Keep us posted!
Posted By: Genic

Re: 20vt transplant project - 21/09/2012 20:15

looks good mate thumb

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 21/09/2012 21:09

Thanks, its going slower than I had anticipated, but then again I hadn't planned on doing anything other than just swap engines until I took the old one out, then I seen what others had done on here and thought may as well while its out.

My son asked why I was bothering as nobody would see it, to which I replied, "it's a coupe son, the bonnet will be often raised" laugh
Posted By: Punto16VT

Re: 20vt transplant project - 22/09/2012 01:39

Also as you can see, the engine mount is kaput but can I hell get the damn thing off confused smash

Heat the bejaysus out of it until it glows?

Re: 20vt transplant project - 22/09/2012 09:36

Which bit do I heat? The bolt that runs through the mount won't come out nor will the one that runs down through the casting.
Posted By: Punto16VT

Re: 20vt transplant project - 23/09/2012 07:18

The central bolt through the mount, as the mount's u/s anyway. You need to break the friction between it and the mounting arm by expansion and contraction, then twist the bolt until it rotates, then all you need to do is drift it out, if necessary. Copious soaking in WD40 or similar, overnight, will help I expect.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: 20vt transplant project - 03/04/2013 19:04

Doesn't it plug into the atmospheric pressure sensor on the bulkhead? I don't think it's for the fuel vapour recirc thingummy...
Posted By: Begbie

Re: 20vt transplant project - 02/05/2013 09:05

Don't forget the jubilee clip on the hose from the header tank to the rail. You could have also painted the gearbox mount hehe
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: 20vt transplant project - 02/05/2013 11:03

Great job!!

I have never seen anyone paint the exhaust manifold.
Let's see how long it's red laugh Maybe a day or two??

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 02/05/2013 14:29

Yep jubilee clip is on now, and the mount is just temporary until I get a new one so didn't bother painting it, I just wanted the engine in place so it looks like i'm making progress laugh

As for the manifold god knows how long it will last but it's VHT paint so hopefully i'll get a week out of it laugh

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 06/05/2013 22:00

Yes it's looking good, bet it makes some smoke on first start up! (All that paint on hot components)
Will check that connector for you, think its onto the plenum from memory but have it labelled so will check (car at my in laws)

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 07/05/2013 17:17

laugh aye probably a bit once it gets up to temp but I've used engine enamel on the bits that get hot so hopefully wont be to bad, but just used hammerite on the turbo except for the red bit then after I done it thought ah sh*t turbos get very hot loser laugh ah well who knows it might not be to bad laugh

I found where the connector goes, it's the EGR valve
http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.ph...762#Post1419762

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 28/05/2013 08:42

Originally Posted By: Freddan72
Great job!!

I have never seen anyone paint the exhaust manifold.
Let's see how long it's red laugh Maybe a day or two??

As for the manifold god knows how long it will last but it's VHT paint so hopefully i'll get a week out of it laugh

Try 10 minutes laugh it's now jet black and pete, there was quite a bit of smoke, I thought the engine had caught fire laugh and the fumes off the paint were pretty intense hippy
Posted By: samsite999

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 13/09/2013 07:51

Just wanted to say what a great job on the engine bay, that looks amazing

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 13/09/2013 08:42

Thanks, I've almost gave up a few times when things haven't gone to plan or broke, and when I discovered the screen had cracked, well, gutted wasn't the word.

Re: 20vt transplant project - discussion - 25/10/2013 04:19

Just read your "journey" with your Coupe, very impressed that you didn't give up. The engine bay looks lovely now! Well done on a lovely little car mate!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 20vt transplant project - 09/04/2014 06:34

Respect, Swinny: in our book we say 'don't do this - but if you must...' laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK