Fiat Coupe Club UK

Red Metallic - 20VT Plus - Discussion

Posted By: Brett_B

Red Metallic - 20VT Plus - Discussion - 05/05/2022 22:41

Discussion invited...
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Red Metallic - 20VT Plus - Discussion - 05/05/2022 22:46

Brett, you mention one of the bearings has gone, I guess it may be a rear as fronts tend to be much longer lasting?
SKF or FAG are worthy replacements for coupé bearings but avoid the Italian aftermarket Birth as they have given a lot of trouble in the past.
Unless you find a better deal, as a member you can get a modest discount from Alternative Autos in Huddersfield smile

Re: Red Metallic - 20VT Plus - Discussion - 06/05/2022 19:43

How stupid am I….I’ve bought loads of stuff from then and never realised I could get member discount frown

Yes bought the bearing from Alternative autos, although that bit is on hold until I fill in foot sized holes in rear arches!

Think I’m stripping the fuel tank and getting the subframe sorted as well, might as well do the lot.

Fun….

Re: Red Metallic - 20VT Plus - Discussion - 06/05/2022 19:52

Good idea, you may need new tank straps while you're at it.

Beware the two plastic pipe connections on top of the swirl pot get brittle with age so go softly when removing fuel hoses, support the plastic as best you can, they are easy to break off.

Re: Red Metallic - 20VT Plus - Discussion - 06/05/2022 22:03

I thought that about the tank straps but the ones on eBay seem a bit expensive £240. Any alternatives?

Hoping the compensator is ok, will need new
Subframe bush’s as well….never ending laugh

Re: Red Metallic - 20VT Plus - Discussion - 07/05/2022 07:56

Oof - robbery frown

Mine were replaced at FCSS, not sure if he has any sets left....

Re: Red Metallic - 20VT Plus - Discussion - 21/05/2022 20:09

Had a good 4hrs at it today, fuel tank removed, subframe off and actually surprised that apart from one small hole in the boot spare wheel area it’s not too bad.

Next job is to strip the rear subframe and rear arms for shot blasting and powder coating.

Quick question, can you buy the cups that the springs sit in on the subframe? Badly corroded so not sure they’ll survive shot blasting.

Done myself a bit of a shopping list (already have a new hub/wheel bearing, hoses to callipers, new exhaust etc)
Rear bump stop x2
Rear sub frame brake flexi x2
Wheel bearing rear x1
Rear brake callipers x2
Hand brake cables x2
Brake Compensator x1
Rear arm repair kit x2
Rear subframe bushes - set of 4
Brake pipes (various)
Selection of stainless bolts

Anything I’ve missed?

Also for the rear subframe bushes I’m assuming I’ll need to press them out?

All done with axle stands….living life on the edge smile

Cheers
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK