Fiat Coupe Club UK

Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion

Posted By: Jamjam12

Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 02/01/2024 15:11

Any recommendations on what to take from the donor cars and advise on working on these cars would be great.

And if anyone has any questions about the car, fire away!
Posted By: szkom

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 20/02/2024 19:38

Looks like you've found some decent tin worm inside that quarter! Perhaps it'd be worth taking some cuts from the shells to be scrapped? If nothing else it'd give you a pattern to work to prior to cutting into yours
Posted By: PaulL

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 20/02/2024 20:18

Jam, tell your dad that he ought to be grateful that you aren't doing a college course on slaughtering sheep, prior to a job in an abattoir.

Paul

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 20/02/2024 21:23

yeah its not too great is it, the Pininfarina badge was missing one of its pins and that left a hole to the outside for the water to get in and its just pooled in there and the previous owner protected one side but didn't protect the other :/, I'll certainly have a look in the other cars to see how bad they have it, but I have a feeling they will both be in similar condition, there is a possibility the 16v is alright and if it is ill cut it out along with the boot floor as I'm planning on cutting that out and putting it in my car as its got no rust on it whatsoever in the 16v (probably the only bit of that 16v that isn't just rust and holes ahah)

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 20/02/2024 21:34

aha yeah that would be quite the mess. My dad was no worse tbf, when I was younger my dad had a Tipo 16v, I've heard of and seen pictures of his coilovers in the kitchen spare wheels in the front room etc.

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 21/02/2024 07:07

There's a channel on YouTube called Yorkshire car restoration. Take a look at some of their videos. It always surprises me how much they make/save. Might give you some ideas about how to approach your car

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 22/02/2024 17:21

Hey, yeah I think I've seen some of their videos and stuff before but ill certainly watch some more.

And I'm in luck, the inside of the 20v quarter panel looks way better than mine so I think ill cut it out, I also noticed some bubbling coming through next to where the Pininfarina badge would be on my car too so I think just that whole general area will need to be cut out and replaced, which again the 20v looks very clean in that area.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 05/03/2024 21:58

Re your latest pics of the floor and the puddle on the driver's side are you certain that there is no leak from the heater matrix? Normally the water would have a bluish oily tinge to it from the antifreeze in the coolant (or orangey if that's what was used), but if only water had been used to refill last time you may not see that.

Another possibility is a screen leak; any idea if you still have the original?

Having said all that your door card does look rather wet!

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 06/03/2024 00:01

Now the heater I don't know, ill check that when I'm back at the car tomorrow

The windscreen might be original, and I need to replace it anyway as its got a decent sized chip directly in the line of vision in front of the driver, however I didn't notice any water streaks coming from around the windscreen area, the only dampness I found was on the door card and the main bit was at the area pictured

There was also what looked to be a bit of dampness and streaks at the bottom of the door seal so maybe its gone there?

Attached picture Screenshot_20240305_235832_Gallery.jpg

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 06/03/2024 00:03

Hopefully it hasn't done too much damage but it doesn't look too great, it all felt solid but ill give it a proper clean up and screwdriver test tomorrow

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 06/03/2024 08:11

It does look quite door-related indeed. The other thing to check is the condition of the shower-screen behind the door-card, rain coming down the window-glass needs directing away from the inside of the car.
Posted By: PaulL

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 06/03/2024 09:15

Morning Jam

I had a 'leak' on the passenger side foot well a few years ago.

I cleaned out the drain under where the wipers sit and it cured it.

Paul

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 06/03/2024 19:23

Well the car was dry today when I came to it and for the first time i got to the car and the windows wernt all fogged up, however it hasn't rained yet so that's probably why

I had a feel about where the water was pooling, the floor itself was fine and all solid, however along the edge with the sill was very bad, it was also very wet, I have a feeling its gonna need some new metal on the inner sill around that area

Hmm yeah never thought to check that one about the door shower screen

I'll check that one too Paul

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 06/03/2024 20:02

Originally Posted by Jamjam12

Hmm yeah never thought to check that one about the door shower screen

They are often torn/damaged after previous excursions inside there. The important thing is to ensure the flap is located properly at the bottom, there's a howto somewhere "Moisture barrier fix" I think

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 07/03/2024 21:03

What's peoples opinions, should I keep the patch in or make a new one?

Attached picture patch.jpg
Attached picture welds.jpg
Attached picture welds2.jpg
Attached picture seatmount welds.jpg
Attached picture welds3.jpg

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 07/03/2024 21:23

Get a cut from a solid floor. You might find a MK1 Bravo is similar enough to work. That patch isn't the right shape

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 07/03/2024 21:39

yep, I didn't like the look of it at all when I uncovered it, I don't think any of my donor Coupes have original floors either so ill have to have a look about for one, or get funky in the garage and make one, however I wont have anything to go off to make it as the other side is the exact same

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 12/03/2024 18:58

So the moisture on the floor seems to have come from the door seals as it's been raining but the car is still dry after I've taped up the door seals

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 18/03/2024 22:46

Tough truths there on your floor but at least you now know what you're dealing with, it's all repairable.

Re: Blitz Blue 16vt restoration - Discussion - 18/03/2024 23:02

I was expecting some holes and rust anyways since the rear floor pan has had some quite large patches put on in the past and the front has no patches, I think quite a lot of the drivers side floor will need replacing too due to the amount of water that was sitting there, annoyingly the floors in my donor coupes are really really rusty and full of holes so I cant cut from them for mine
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK