Fiat Coupe Club UK

Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer

Posted By: phil_20VT

Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 06/08/2014 11:35

I've come across a nice little app to add a bit more to a trackday.

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good source for decent phone mounts, in my case for the Galaxy S4.

I fear most I have seen online will be sub standard quality.

Cheers
Phil
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 06/08/2014 12:25

The phone mount will have to be mounted to a rollcage as most track days won't take mounts stuck to a window. Not sure what the thoughts are on mounts that attach to the head rest though.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 06/08/2014 12:59

Head rest mounts will be ok as long as they are sturdy clamps. It's just the sucker/stick-on ones that most TDOs won't allow.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 06/08/2014 13:15

Originally Posted By: Jonny
Head rest mounts will be ok as long as they are sturdy clamps. It's just the sucker/stick-on ones that most TDOs won't allow.

I got away with my sucker one at Castle Combe recently.... I guess they didn't look to closely.

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 06/08/2014 13:19

It was Javelin wasn't it? Surprised by that, they're usually hot on it. The last one I did at Mallory, they stopped one guy going out...

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 06/08/2014 15:07

I have a nice head rest mount but nowhere to attach them on my bucket seats.

I have seen quite a few people using sucker mounts. A recent Javelin one at Cadwell. Looks like it's at best a grey area then.
Posted By: NikAzwaa

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 06/08/2014 17:32

If you don't intend to use the video function, those aircon vent mounts could be of good use.

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 06/08/2014 22:57

I've not used Harrys but have used Trackmaster... with limited success. It's not an issue with the software, but with my phone's 1Hz GPS. A lot can happen in a second, and I found the results weren't that great. Upgrading to an external 5Hz or 10Hz would cure that... at extra cost.

The app is worth a try though, to see if it does what you want.

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 07/08/2014 07:35

How easy will it be though to get the engine telemetry to the phone as it is pre OBD!?

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 07/08/2014 09:34

Well....
I was probably going to be using this on a clio 182 so obd wouldn't be an issue.

Re: Phone Mount - Harry's GPS Lap Timer - 13/10/2014 13:24

A bit of an update

At a recent Javelin event they do not allow suction mounts. They were pretty keen on checking the cabin before leaving to go on track, even asking if your helmet was done up.

I also asked the question of the Mazda On Track director and he replied that yes they could be used if secure.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK