Fiat Coupe Club UK

Sprinting in 2019

Posted By: Fishy_Dave

Sprinting in 2019 - 06/02/2019 09:05

Hello,

I first started my motorsport journey 16 years ago, after a post here on FCCUK. I sprinted occasionally for a few years before starting racing. Well, I am still racing, but also making a return to sprinting this year and thought a Coupe or two might like to give it a try?
I have signed up to the Javelin Sprint Series for 2019 in the Corvette: Javelin Sprint Series

Their rules are easy, basically, if you can trackday it you can sprint, with no need for a harness, race seat, fireproof suit, Motorsport UK license etc.

What is Sprinting? (Taken from their website)
Sprinting is essentially a driver and car, competing against the clock, on a pre-practised course. Cars will start one at a time, from a standstill at 30 second intervals, so you won't encounter other vehicles to collide with. The average course is approx 1.7 miles long, which helps to keep stress on the car to a minimum. Normally you will be given a chance to walk the course, then drive it behind a pace car, before getting a practice run in the morning, followed by timed runs into the afternoon. Times are displayed after you cross the finish line and results are published throughout the day with an awards presentation once the runs have been completed.

Thanks to the format being one car at a time I have convinced my 65 year old Father (a former Coupe owner) to give it a try, so on the 31st March at Snetterton he makes his competitive debut, double driving the car with me.
The class breakdown looks good for my car, with class J6 for cars over 2000cc, 2WD (300 - 400bhp). So far it looks like I will be up against an Aston Martin DB7, Honda Integra R, Holden Monaro, probably a VX220 Turbo and more. There are some quite tasty machines in other classes including a pair of McLaren!

Let's see how the 200k mile beast does.

Regards, Dave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 06/02/2019 14:33

I may be up for this. Although I am willing to bet I will be very slow in my class if I am allowed in smile

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 06/02/2019 16:10

Would love to Dave - either in the RX7 or MK.... but I'm due to have surgery next week on my right elbow - 3-6 months recovery. frown

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 06/02/2019 20:07

Originally Posted By elder81
I may be up for this. Although I am willing to bet I will be very slow in my class if I am allowed in smile

Don't let that stop you, go for it. Which class would you be in?

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 06/02/2019 20:12

Originally Posted By suba
Would love to Dave - either in the RX7 or MK.... but I'm due to have surgery next week on my right elbow - 3-6 months recovery. frown

Cool, maybe something to aim for at the tail end of the season?

I meant to email you about a drift day at Oulton Park I'm doing in April (I let Nigel know already), it would be perfect practice for you in the RX7. Again, something to think about during the recovery mate. smile

As you're a rotary man, have you heard about the RX8 Trophy I've been arranging? smile

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 07/02/2019 17:20

yep - been trying to resist buying an RX8 also.... smile
Posted By: decoy133

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 10/03/2019 19:57

Hi Dave
I could be interested.

I would be in class j6 as the porto is a bit over 300bhp.

Where does one sign up, and what is the cost of a sprint day?

Best
Doug

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 27/03/2019 22:09

Hi Doug, sorry, only just noticed your post. You can follow the link in my first post to sign up and find out the prices (£189 for Snetterton). smile
Posted By: decoy133

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 23/05/2019 07:08

No worries. I will take a look. Thanks.

How are you getting on?

Re: Sprinting in 2019 - 31/03/2020 15:36

I was wondering, would there be a way to watch the races that happened at that event on youtube or on a group's facebook (or similar) page? Thanks in advance!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK