» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (dante giacosa, 1 invisible), 150 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,576
Posts1,340,874
Members1,797
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,545
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,737
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Forum power #1611645
16/11/2017 15:24
16/11/2017 15:24
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Essex
I've decided to modify my performance calculator to include downforce. I don't know how to.

I have collected data for a couple of cars where manufacturers have posted it up. For example:
"Our car produces 100kgs of downforce at 186mph"

What I would like to do is calculate how much downforce that means at all other speeds. Any ideas?

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Forum power [Re: Trappy] #1611650
16/11/2017 16:43
16/11/2017 16:43
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
You need to find some data that shows downforce at different speeds - you can then reverse-calculate to work out how downforce increases with speed

I'm going to guess that it correlates with drag (ie it squares with speed). However, I know that some cars (especially racing cars) can create downforce without creating drag (eg by flat floors), so I doubt its as simple as it looks

[Linked Image]
Re: Forum power [Re: Nigel] #1611705
17/11/2017 09:53
17/11/2017 09:53
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Essex
Originally Posted By Nigel
You need to find some data that shows downforce at different speeds - you can then reverse-calculate to work out how downforce increases with speed

This is surprisingly hard to find. The only car I ave found this for is the Koenigsegg One: 1 and the numbers... don't make sense... unless there is an element of diminishing returns with downforce?

610kgs @ 260kph
880kgs @ 440kph

I'm going to guess that it correlates with drag (ie it squares with speed). However, I know that some cars (especially racing cars) can create downforce without creating drag (eg by flat floors), so I doubt its as simple as it looks

I've got drag and frontal area sorted using CdA correctly, but I didn't want to get caught up mixing it with downforce. For the purpose of straight line acceleration, I'm going to treat it as an increase in the cars overall weight as it gets faster. Ideally, I want to predict downforce at any speed based off the one given force X at speed X.

Predicting performance of really fast cars is difficult because a lot of them produce downforce. Past 120mph they come out too fast...

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Forum power [Re: Trappy] #1611712
17/11/2017 12:46
17/11/2017 12:46
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
Originally Posted By Trappy
Predicting performance of really fast cars is difficult because a lot of them produce downforce. Past 120mph they come out too fast...

OK - so if you plot enough cars, you should be able to generate a delta of your calculator's error against the known performance stats - this should give you a starting point of the effects of downforce

Personally, I think you're opening a can of worms, as some cars (Coupe included, IIRC) have negative downforce at speed

You can't change your calculator to accommodate extra (or less) weight, as this isn't how downforce works. The actual weight of the car isn't changing, its only the rolling resistance, due the downforce.

If you try to fudge the calc by adding weight, you're going to screw the rate of acceleration.

Similarly, if you try to adapt drag, you're going down the wrong route, because drag doesn't increase with downforce (in fact potentially, drag could decrease with downforce, as the air under the car speeds up as the ground clearance decreases)

I think the answer is to incorporate the ability to include rolling resistance from tyres, which will increase as the contact patch area increases due to downforce - does the calculator have the ability to use different tyre pressures, or does it always assume a constant?

[Linked Image]
Re: Forum power [Re: Trappy] #1611722
17/11/2017 13:49
17/11/2017 13:49
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
To be honest, I doubt it... lift (which is what downforce is, only in the other direction) is proportional to the square of speed but is sensitive to wind direction, rain, air density, parasitic drag, form drag, and no doubt a handful of other things. Its position also moves around on a wing chord depending on speed and angle of attack.

On top of that, the same wing on two different cars will produce different amounts of downforce depending how and where it's fixed and the shape of the vehicle you're attaching it to.

And the car is generally a *lifting* body to some extent, too...

This is why car manufacturers spend time on supercomputers and build models in wind-tunnels - Mr Stokes and Mr Navier did not leave equations behind which were in any way easy to solve.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Forum power [Re: Trappy] #1611723
17/11/2017 13:51
17/11/2017 13:51
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
As a first and very rough approximation: you might try increasing the weight of the car over the rear axle scaled by the square root of the speed at which the downforce is specified.

[Linked Image]
Re: Forum power [Re: barnacle] #1611725
17/11/2017 14:02
17/11/2017 14:02
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
Originally Posted By barnacle
As a first and very rough approximation: you might try increasing the weight of the car over the rear axle scaled by the square root of the speed at which the downforce is specified.

Yes, but increasing the weight of the car (over either or both axles) will screw the calculations by affecting the rate of acceleration - the car isn't actually getting heavier, but the tyres (and suspension, obviously) are effected as though it was

[Linked Image]
Re: Forum power [Re: Nigel] #1611726
17/11/2017 14:08
17/11/2017 14:08
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Essex

OK - so if you plot enough cars, you should be able to generate a delta of your calculator's error against the known performance stats - this should give you a starting point of the effects of downforce

The issue I have with this approach, is that cars that actually produce positive downforce (at least where the manufacturer has published it) are so fast that road test magazines always don't measure performance at he top end. Stats up to 150mph for a car that gets there in 20 seconds but then does another 40-50mph don't really show the full picture. This is why I want to calculate downforce - it's this final part of the story I want to know. It they published the numbers I'd need to work it out, I wouldn't need to work it out! silly

Personally, I think you're opening a can of worms, as some cars (Coupe included, IIRC) have negative downforce at speed

Yeah, well aware of that frown but, my thinking is that once I have the downforce thing worked out, I should be able to use data for cars I have 0-top speed data for to work out how much lift they produce!

You can't change your calculator to accommodate extra (or less) weight, as this isn't how downforce works. The actual weight of the car isn't changing, its only the rolling resistance, due the downforce.

This is one of those rules that I struggle with. If a force is pushing a car down, then it must be harder to accelerate.

If I had to choose between two cars that were identical in every respect, save for downforce (i.e. drag was the same too - a more efficient system was in place), I'd have my money on the car producing less. If the answer is that it is faster, then where else but weight would this go in the calculator?

If you try to fudge the calc by adding weight, you're going to screw the rate of acceleration.

Similarly, if you try to adapt drag, you're going down the wrong route, because drag doesn't increase with downforce (in fact potentially, drag could decrease with downforce, as the air under the car speeds up as the ground clearance decreases)

The thing is, I've applied the rule to two cars so far. It's terrible and unrealistic I know, but I quickly chucked in a fixed rate of increase e.g. 100kgs @ 186mph = 50 @ 93mph laugh

However for the two cars, it corrected the performance data almost perfectly, both cars by 2 seconds to the speeds below.

Giulia Quadrifoglio
20s to 150mph vs actual 19.9
190.2mph top speed rather than 190.8 (some would call me pedantic...)

Koenigess Regera
20.5s to 249mph actual 20.9s

CD won't change much really though - if the springs moved that much from 450kgs at 250mph (spread over four wheels) imagine how much it would dive with four times as much weight on the front axle under hard braking!!

I think the answer is to incorporate the ability to include rolling resistance from tyres, which will increase as the contact patch area increases due to downforce - does the calculator have the ability to use different tyre pressures, or does it always assume a constant?

It doesn't include rolling resistance. Perhaps this has been offset by the natural lift of most cars so I've gotten away it to date?

And no, it doesn't factor in tyre pressure either. There are a few variables that I chose to keep out. It's more about road cars than anything else. Having read up on why a drag car can pull of the line faster than a 4WD car, I made the decision that that part can FRO! laugh Apparently, it allows the wheel to essentially push backwards against what may as well be a wall. Even my obsession doesn't go that far crazy

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Forum power [Re: Trappy] #1611731
17/11/2017 16:08
17/11/2017 16:08
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
Originally Posted By Trappy
This is one of those rules that I struggle with. If a force is pushing a car down, then it must be harder to accelerate.

Correct, but only because there is more rolling resistance and not because the car actually weighs any more (which obviously can't happen, as nothing is adding weight to it while it is moving)

The true weight of the car HAS to be static and therefore the effect of weight on the acceleration will be constant. If the car was actually gaining weight during acceleration, it would become more difficult to accelerate.

A heavier object takes more energy to accelerate than a lighter object, given the same force. In the case of a car's acceleration, the force (engine power) is the same, so an increase in weight means the car will accelerate less quickly.

As downforce broadly correlates with drag, I think you may be able to incorporate a variable drag value to account for the effect of downforce (ie allow Cd to increase slightly as speed increases)

[Linked Image]
Re: Forum power [Re: Trappy] #1611747
17/11/2017 19:01
17/11/2017 19:01
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
There is much scope for confusion.

There is no physical weight change, but there is a *significant* drag change; you *can't* get lift (in either direction) without drag. And the more lift, the more drag.

And it's that drag that needs modelling. I offer it merely as a first-level approximation since the drag isn't published, but the lift is and it tracks the drag.

Consider an F1 car with the flap open: it's suddenly 20 or 30kph faster, not because there is less weight on the back wheels but because there's suddenly less drag. They're not equal, but they're equivalent.

[Linked Image]