» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Gyury), 200 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,579
Posts1,340,911
Members1,797
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,545
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,750
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix #1612392
29/11/2017 20:31
29/11/2017 20:31
england
C
came2dance Offline OP
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
C

england
I'm just back from there. Thursday to Tuesday and I must say everything about it was absolutely brilliant. I've never really fancied visiting any of the Arab countries, just never appealed, however we decided we'd go and see a Grand Prix this year, (last went to Silverstone about ten years ago - I won't bother with a comparison smile ) We kicked a few ideas around, Monza, Singapore, but in the end decided on Abu Dhabi. I was hoping the championship would be fought out at the last race. crazy

The circuit looks amazing and the organisation and arrangements are outstanding. Electronic tag tickets let you into your own grandstand area which is separated into blocks, and into the general admission areas too. Each grandstand has it's own "Oasis which has a bar, food stalls and various entertainments. Your tag also gets you into Ferrari world which is a short walk away and the Du arena, an even shorter walk away. Hop on hop off buses can take you around the circuit and out to the Yas Mall which again is really only a short walk away. It's bloody perfect. We went and watched F1 free practice and one of the GP3 qualifiers on day one then went off to Ferrari world before coming back for Fi second practice.

Some top DJ was on that night so we gave that a miss and went back to the hotel and had room service since we din't know where anywhere was. Day two was much the same. Practice GP2 race Ferrari World, Yas Mall, practice, hotel and room service - room service food was reasonably priced and really good too, plus we had three litres of red to get through in our room laugh

Saturday F1 Quali was brilliant. We were in the North Stand where the hairpin is and Lewis was flying. You could tell his car as they came across the back of the circuit as he was noticeably faster than anyone else approaching this complex. You are so close to the cars too it is just fab smile think we did end up in Ferrari World again and we found somewhere to eat in the Mall before going to the Saturday night concert Mumford and Sons. They were a bit rubbish really. A DJ was on first and he was quite good. He went off at half eight and it was getting on for half nine before Mumford and sons too to the stage. Bear in mind they weren't playing to Mumford fans but an international crowd who were there for the racing. So they came on an hour late and started with some boring poem set to music as an intro. It was more fun standing round waiting for them. Once they got rocking after a few numbers they weren't too bad but I think they'd lost the audience by then.

Sunday.....yey dead exiting. Hotel breakfast and a coach transfer to the circuit. I couldn't wait. The race may have looked a snooze fest on telly but it was brilliant to be there. It was over in no time. We were right opposite where Ricciardo retired and Saints came off. You have a great view of the cars as they come through a chicane quite quickly then really slow around the hairpin before accelerating down the straight. I'm sure Lewis could have took Bottas out of that hair pin but I suppose they have the same speed so it was not to be.
Sunday night s concert was Pink and she kicked ass from the off. Kicked off with "I'm coming on so you better get this party started" finishing that first number in a burst of fireworks. She just got better and better throughout her act with fantastic lighting , dancers , effects, giant projections and a walkway out int o the audience (I hope Mumford and his sons were watching) Brilliant end to the weekend. I almost forgot, on Saturday and Sunday the Air Force put on a display and like everything else it was mind blowing. On Sunday the fighters were headed up by a Etihad passenger jet. They certainly know how to put on a show. I'm now big fan of Abu Dhabi smile If you've ever thought about going do it smile

[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk

Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [Re: came2dance] #1612395
29/11/2017 20:59
29/11/2017 20:59
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club Member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club Member 259
Forum is my life

In the coupe.
That sounds great Chris.

I think it was Lego that did a Porsche track expierience there.

I'm thinking of doing the same for a special birthday coming up.

Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [Re: came2dance] #1612398
29/11/2017 22:50
29/11/2017 22:50

L
Lego
Unregistered
Lego
Unregistered
L

Sounds brilliant Chris.
Having been to the Circuit and Ferrari world I can imagine that the Grand Prix would be a fantastic, well organised occasion. Thanks for the write-up. I wouldn't have any hesitation on going to F1 GP now based on your experience there.

@Joe

It was the Aston Martin Vantage GT4 experience I did. Epic driving Almost did it again back in October. Go for it Joe, you will absolutely love it. I challenge you to beat my speed on the straight laugh
I will definitely go back for another go.

Me in Aston GT4

Turn up the volume !

Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [Re: ] #1612400
29/11/2017 23:54
29/11/2017 23:54
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Awesome!

Off to Dubai to see family in February so will bear this in mind cool

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [Re: came2dance] #1612495
02/12/2017 08:05
02/12/2017 08:05
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
Welcome to United Arab Emirates Chris, I’m glad you enjoyed your time here, it’s difficult to compare this place to the rest of the Middle East but if you enjoyed Abu Dhabi then you’d love Dubai.

My friend has a boat in Yas Marina so I was able to get weekend tickets for the race, as you said, it is so well organised with shuttlebusses to take you wherever you want to go, I didn’t queue for more than 2 minutes in the whole weekend and I drove there from Dubai every day.

The speed of the cars around the circuit is just mind bending, you see the Mercedes SLS AMG being driven at 100% through the bends and think ‘wow, that’s quick” then the F1 cars come through at race pace which just seem to defy physics.

Great event, so well organised and hopefully next year they will have made the improvements to the track.

Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [Re: came2dance] #1612497
02/12/2017 09:49
02/12/2017 09:49
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
It’s a shame it’s such a poor circuit because it looks like a good place to go. It matters less when you’re spectating. At Silverstone, we always watch at Becketts - never any overtaking but the cars are mind blowing.

If the AMG is the safety car, it’s a GT rather than an SLS these days - that V8 does sound great though.

Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1612530
03/12/2017 11:56
03/12/2017 11:56
england
C
came2dance Offline OP
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
C

england
I always thought along those lines MS but it's certainly not a poor circuit when you are there. It was amazing. Heres some picture hopefully if this link works (I 'm not over keen on this FlickR thang!) FlickR Abu Dhabi GP cool

Cameras were not allowed into the aftershow concerts at all. They had to be handed in at a collection point. Because of this I just took a Canon compact camera and these are from my seating position so not bad I reckon smile

[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk