» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rosso), 177 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,579
Posts1,340,912
Members1,797
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,545
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,750
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Who here is overqualified to read this thread? #1617671
22/03/2018 19:18
22/03/2018 19:18
J
JKD Offline OP
Forum is my job
JKD  Offline OP
Forum is my job
J

I know in the eyes of recruiters a person can possibly be 'overqualified' or 'over-experienced' or 'too good' irked or whatever you want to call it, in terms of permanent jobs.

I can imagine the concerns recruiters may have (whether or not their concerns are actually well-founded is another matter all together. No they are not well-founded.) That essentially, they want someone who will stay with them for the long-term. But they are worried that the candidate in question may just be willing to accept any job until one that they really want comes up and that they may then leave the employer in the lurch after getting them to spend time and money training them up. (We all know how it's impossible for a person who is appropriately qualified for a job to quit if they find another job they are also appropriately qualified for. rolleyes )

But when it comes to short-term temp jobs, it's of course obviously expressed and understood by everyone that employment will only be short-term for X period of time. I'm not talking about the 'initially temporary position, may lead to permanent position' ones. I'm not even talking about temp jobs of up to a year. I mean the ones that are only for several months at most.

So if a candidate who is overqualified/over-experienced applies for a clearly defined short-term temp job and makes it clear that they want to do a temp job for however long this temp job is (in order to put the recruiter's mind at ease) shouldn't they then be the perfect person for the job? After all, that person is going to come, easily do the job, then leave after an agreed period of time. Or is it actually a case of because the employment length will be limited that they can't even slightly risk hiring someone who may leave them in this limited time because as far as they know, the candidate might just be bullshitting? Or is it a case of that this temp job is actually (known only by the recruiter and not stated in the job description) potentially going to develop into a permanent job......so their usual bullshit concerns apply and we're back to square one?

And why the fk are all job descriptions so long-winded? The ironic thing is that straightforward jobs are made to look extremely hard and then when a hard-working person applies for that job the recruiters suddenly start shitting themselves. Actually no, they don't start shitting themselves. But they do use the CV as toilet paper. With a smug smile. Probably.

You know if a person is overqualified for a job does that mean they are overqualified for other things too? Like could they tell their utility provider they are overqualified to pay their bills? Or tell the person at the supermarket checkout they are overqualified to pay for their weekly shopping? Do you think if you put in the word 'overqualified' as a promo code when you're doing online shopping you'll get everything for free? How about sky diving without a parachute because you're overqualified to need one? I know, next time I go for a drive I won't bother putting in any petrol and when my car comes to a halt I'll just sit there for 5 hours and try to explain to my car how it is overqualified to need fuel. rolleyes

Re: Who here is overqualified to read this thread? [Re: JKD] #1617690
23/03/2018 09:46
23/03/2018 09:46
Germany
neil_r Offline
Enjoying the ride
neil_r  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Germany
In contracting, overqualified seems to be an excuse often used when they think that they will easily get a cheaper person.

The other worry employers have is that somebody who knows a lot will spend time trying to tell them how to change everything rather than simply getting on with the listed tasks.

The last option is that our faces didn't fit somehow and they come up with some pseudo-positive excuse why it did not work out.

Good employers take the best people they can find and attempt make the most of their abilities. Good recruiters are hard to find.

1997 20V
2000 V6 manual S-Type and 2011 5.0 XKR
2016 Tucson 1.6T AWD
2018 Mazda2 GT
Re: Who here is overqualified to read this thread? [Re: JKD] #1617700
23/03/2018 13:27
23/03/2018 13:27
S
samsite999 Offline
I AM a Coop
samsite999  Offline
I AM a Coop
S

JKD, im going to assume you had a bad run in with a recruitment agency?

Re: Who here is overqualified to read this thread? [Re: JKD] #1617704
23/03/2018 15:11
23/03/2018 15:11
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my life

ation
Don't stress about it. Unconsciously, or otherwise, you'll project that at your next interview and lessen your chances.

It'll be their loss, not yours. In my opinion, short term contracts are rarely that. And it's the recruiters job to fill it as cheaply as possible. Experience isn't cheap.

Keep looking, I do know that the right jobs are out there.

Re: Who here is overqualified to read this thread? [Re: szkom] #1617717
23/03/2018 22:31
23/03/2018 22:31
J
JKD Offline OP
Forum is my job
JKD  Offline OP
Forum is my job
J

Once upon a time, a person could start a job on Monday, decide they didn't like it, quit it on Tuesday, find another job on Wednesday, go for an interview on Thursday, then start it on Friday. And live happily ever after.

Nowadays it takes a week just to perfectly tailor your CV and covering letter to a job. Only for the recruiter to have ran out of toilet paper.

Re: Who here is overqualified to read this thread? [Re: JKD] #1617759
24/03/2018 14:01
24/03/2018 14:01
Glos
Brilly1uk Offline
Club member 1034
Brilly1uk  Offline
Club member 1034
Competition Level

Glos
I deal with RAs in my capacity within financial services.
As a general perception, they are only really interested in "placing" someone for a fee and we have known recruited staff, then to be approached again (after a relatively short time), to try and "place" them elsewhere!
Thus it is preferable to find our own people without the "help" of RAs wherever possible!

Fiat Coupe 20VT
Alfa Romeo Spider
BMW X3