» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,441
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,522
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,296
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,662
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nigel lower brace - first impressions #1611146
07/11/2017 08:31
07/11/2017 08:31
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Essex
So ( tongue ), it’s been a few days since fitting the Nigel subframe brace and I’ve covered a few miles since (40 or so), so I feel I’m in a positon to offer some ‘early impressions’ feedback.

First off, before fitting it certainly looks the part and feels like a hefty bit of kit, just as I’d read in the few remaining posts on the subject from over the years. I can see why it got the better of objects it has struck so no issues on the design front!

To the fitting, then. I’ve got to be honest; I’ve been a bit lazy over the last few years so I decided to do this myself for a change (well, with the help of a friend who is good at this sort of thing anyway). The built in adjustment didn’t need adjusting as it had already been on another coop I guess! A good idea though so, again, full marks for the engineering / design thumb

When it comes to the drive – I’m not so sure here really. I know Nigel has never claimed that it transformed the car on its own – instead suggesting that it’s probably one of the later mods to complete, certainly after the rear ARB and front strut brace. I’m not sure what I was expecting but… I really haven’t noticed much difference?! I was hoping for a lot more precision and feel from the front end with slightly quicker turn-in response. I was worried that there might be a slight transition to an oversteer bias (like I had when I upped the front camber), but that isn’t the case either. Maybe I’m not pushing the car as hard as I need to really appreciate it yet?

Anyway, these are just my first impressions. I’ll update this when I’ve had a chance to try it out on some local country roads as it’s mostly been town driving so far; doing errands with a few blasts up local A-roads etc.

I’m starting to wonder if I may have fitted it incorrectly to be honest. Does anyone remember any issues and subsequent fixes around this area from the original threads on the subject? I took some pics at the time while trying to fit it in different positons so if anyone could have a look at these and offer any tips, I’d appreciate it thumb Apologies for the quality – my phone’s camera lens is cracked…

Click to reveal...

Outside area
I don’t have a shed (which is where most people on here seem to fit it) so I wondered of maybe keeping it outside would work?
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

Under the stairs
This is closest thing I have to a shed really. It’s used as a dumping ground for gardeny stuff. It didn't work – maybe it’s too warm in here?
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

Top of the wardrobe
I wondered if it had to be on a shelf in the shed – with no shed OR shelves in the whole house though, I only had my bedroom wardrobe to try… Maybe the teddies pu it off??
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

In the loft
An odd room I have in my house that I figured might serve the purpose? It too is a dumping ground - nope.
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

A shelf (to the loft room)
So I do have a shelf! Still didn’t work…
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

Back of the sofa
This was a bit of a random one if I’m honest. Maybe a bit ridiculous even, but my sofas have a largely unused area when the back is up so I thought I’d give it a try!?
click to enlarge

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Nigel lower brace - first impressions [Re: Trappy] #1611149
07/11/2017 10:19
07/11/2017 10:19
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club Member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club Member 259
Forum is my life

In the coupe.
I like the sofa one the best. So handy and accessible .

Re: Nigel lower brace - first impressions [Re: Trappy] #1611150
07/11/2017 10:22
07/11/2017 10:22
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club Member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club Member 259
Forum is my life

In the coupe.
I seem to remember that it fitted in two positions. One of them is wrong.