Fiat Coupe Club UK

Are we allowed to...

Posted By: Cappo

Are we allowed to... - 09/10/2017 20:35

…make posts along the lines of "What's my Coupe worth"? It's been a long time and I'm afraid I can't remember, and it doesn't seem to be covered in the "how to sell" post. Some fora don't allow it.

I'll say no more until I know the answer to this! Thanks.
Posted By: t0m0

Re: Are we allowed to... - 09/10/2017 20:56

I can't see why not, this is a forum and in the popularity of social media taking prominence with its (generally) shorter posts over this format its nice to give well discussed opinions a platform.

Be aware that you might not get the backing/point of view you want or worse persuaded to do the opposite that you intended wink
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Are we allowed to... - 09/10/2017 22:33

No, you're not sorry Cappo.

We tend to just guide people to the Coupes for sale section to get an idea of what Coupes are selling for.

If you think yours is worth more, then adjust the price and be prepared to reduce it a bit if it doesn't sell.

It's hard to put a price on something that some may or may not be willing to pay for and probably why forums like ours don't allow it.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 04:19

When was that rule introduced?

There have been loads of "what is my Coupe worth" threads over the years - I think it's a valid question, as long as it's not a blatant for sale thread

While prices were still falling, it was a sensible question, and now that prices are rising for good Coupes, it's even more important.

This forum and its members are here to help others, not to point them to a section and tell them to work it out for themselves

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 04:20

Cappo - feel free to PM me if you want an honest opinion on your car

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 06:45

Originally Posted By Theresa
No, you're not sorry Cappo.

We tend to just guide people to the Coupes for sale section to get an idea of what Coupes are selling for.

If you think yours is worth more, then adjust the price and be prepared to reduce it a bit if it doesn't sell.

It's hard to put a price on something that some may or may not be willing to pay for and probably why forums like ours don't allow it.

Rule accepted Theresa but I have to say, your final sentence above is pretty self-contradictory. That's exactly why I asked - I have a car which has several positive/desirable points in its favour and then a number of minuses, so it's quite difficult to value. Plus, I'd rather it went to someone here than just stick it on eBay for 99p and see what happens, but que sera.

I think that when people clog up a forum with "what's my 20 year old Corsa worth" threads, or camouflage it as a for sale post where they're not otherwise allowed to advertise, that's different, but with something as niche as our cars, for me it's a valid and useful (for everyone) discussion.

Thanks Nigel, will do.
Posted By: andyps

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 08:02

I understand both perspectives here but would come down on the side of allowing genuine discussions about what a car is worth. Maybe the same rules that allow people to post items for sale could be used to allow people to post in threads about value, or restrict it to club members only. Just a couple of thoughts.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 08:59

Just ask the question or indeed post anything you like - especially if you have taken the time to look at the rules?

If any of the moderators or admins decide it is not appropriate they will remove it.

Then they will help you to ask your question or post your opinion in a way that the forum can appropriately help with.

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 09:23

Thanks for the life lesson Blue Boy, I've probably been a member (and ex-mod) of this forum longer than you've been alive wink

I can't actually see a direct reference to my original question in the rules, hence asking it to start with.

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 09:44

I've just re-read the forum rules - there is no rule that forbids an owner seeking opinion on the value of his Coupe in order to decide whether or not to sell, or how much to ask.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 12:58

Originally Posted By Cappo
Thanks for the life lesson Blue Boy, I've probably been a member (and ex-mod) of this forum longer than you've been alive wink

I can't actually see a direct reference to my original question in the rules, hence asking it to start with.

The forum has not been around for as long as I have been alive and neither have any of our Coupes.

As for finding a direct reference - I could not find one either

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 14:46

Originally Posted By Blueboyracer
As for finding a direct reference - I could not find one either

There's not even an indirect reference or even an inference. The only thing that is remotely related is a rule not to make comments on prices in For Sale threads.

So - is it safe to assume that forum members can ask for valuation opinions after all?

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 15:52

Well, apologies for my Lazarus-like appearance and the accompanying can of worms! But if rules are rules then it would help if this were added, alternatively if it isn't such an issue (and judging by the responses above might be popular) then can we get clarification on that please? Glad it wasn't just me not being able to find reference to it.
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 18:22

I often post links to adverts for nice Coupes and these give an idea of current values.

On eBay you can look up a list of past sales by clicking "sold listings" on the left of the page. I use this a lot to find out the value of something I'm selling.

It's disappointing that non-turbo values are not going up like turbo values. I paid £900 for mine in 2013 but spent £3,000 on it straight away. Now it's worth about £1,500. But then I have had the pleasure of driving one for all that time, which is priceless!
Posted By: sharman

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 19:52

Dare I say this , but this forum has got quieter and quieter over the last year or so. So many people are ignoring the forum in favour of the various Facebook groups. Admittedly I'm one of them, which slightly pains me as I've always detested facebook. But you can post what you like,within reason say what you think, or juat have a rant without feeling you've someone with a rule book looking over your shoulder.
This means a lot of peoples knowledge and passion of these cars is being spread out thinly.
I know the rules are for a reason but I do think the forum needs to lighten up a little
Posted By: jonnyboy54321

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 20:50

Perhaps we should have a poll? smile
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 21:00

Originally Posted By jonnyboy54321

Could that end up with the Forum leaving the EU?

coat redcard box
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 21:02

Originally Posted By Gripped
Originally Posted By jonnyboy54321

Could that end up with the Forum leaving the EU?

coat redcard box

laugh at both
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 23:47

This would suggest you should understand what the value of the car should be then Cappo? Not being funny with you. But .....

You don't need forum members guessing a price, decide yourself. There are no fixed prices these days for older cars. Make an informed judgement yourself and put it out there for agreement to the forum. I think it is worth this ... what do you think? Or put it out there for sale at the cost you think and let the market decide..

Good luck anyway....
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Are we allowed to... - 10/10/2017 23:52

We could have a poll on whether or not to have a poll.

Re: Are we allowed to... - 11/10/2017 05:26

Originally Posted By patch234

This would suggest you should understand what the value of the car should be then Cappo? Not being funny with you. But .....

Interesting assertion to make when you haven't the first idea what the vehicle is or why I asked in the first place. And what's wrong with asking for input anyway?

Originally Posted By patch234

There are no fixed prices these days for older cars.

QED. Hence, asking a bunch of people who are are likely to have a clue than the average man in the street may just be a good idea.

Happily, someone HAS assisted me with this, and our thoughts concurred anyway. He tells me that this particular model is probably one of the more sought-after of the Coupe range, so it should be nice and easy to sell it without having to trouble you chaps again.

Arrivederci.

Re: Are we allowed to... - 11/10/2017 05:34

Always nice to see a happy ending. thumb
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Are we allowed to... - 11/10/2017 05:49

I don’t see any rule pointing out that this is not allowed so if you’d like a group opinion then please do ask.

From memory you have a rather nice 20VT that was restored a few ago by CarlT, i believe it was White or a Chrono?
Posted By: mr_tickle

Re: Are we allowed to... - 11/10/2017 07:26

If you decide to break it rather than sell it, please can I have first dibs on your front grill, cargo net and carpet extensions?

Re: Are we allowed to... - 11/10/2017 09:17

To be fair I think any restriction on "What's it worth?" threads is simply an extension of the selling rules, as there have been examples over the years of new members using a "What's it worth?" post as a blatant advert, bypassing the selling rules regarding length of forum membership and provision of contact details. If you already have selling rights I doubt anyone would object to a "What's it worth?" post.

In general, the question isn't so much "What's it worth?" as "How quickly do you want to sell it?". If you want it sold within a few weeks rather than waiting 6 months or more that can mean at least a 50% difference in price.
Posted By: MarioCirillo

Re: Are we allowed to... - 12/10/2017 17:24

What he said
Posted By: bockers

Re: Are we allowed to... - 15/10/2017 04:52

CAppo, when yours is finally painted it may be worth quite a bit. Worth bugger all still in primer though wink
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK