Fiat Coupe Club UK

Scotland low emmision zones

Posted By: Anonymous

Scotland low emmision zones - 04/12/2017 15:08

Just found out about this and it's not good news for coupe owners.

Very strict new emission standards to be introduced starting next year in Glasgow city centre and then Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen city centres. Pilot schemes at first but all to be enforced by 2020 at the latest.

To be based on Euro 4 standards for petrol cars and Euro 6 for diesel. So that's any pre-2005 petrol and pre-2014 diesel car banned from the affected areas with a "significantly more than £20" fine per day to be enforced by ANPR cameras.

And it gets worse, from 2023 it'll be extended to the following "Air Quality Management Areas" :

Quote:
Aberdeen city centre, Anderson Drive and Wellington Road
Banknock
Bearsden
Bishopbriggs
Bonnygate, Cupar
Broxburn
Chapelhall
Coatbridge
Crieff
Croy
Dundee
East Kilbride
Edinburgh city centre, Glasgow Road, St John’s Road, Great Junction Street, Inverleith Road and Salamander Street
Falkirk town centre
Glasgow city centre; Parkhead Cross and the West End
Grangemouth
Haggs, Falkirk
Inverness city centre
Johnstone
Kircaldy Appin Crescent
Lanark
Linlithgow
Motherwell
Musselburgh High Street
Newton, West Lothian
Paisley town centre
Perth
Renfrew town centre
Rutherglen

So if I've still got the coupe in 2023 I'll be living in one of the "Air Quality Management Areas" and looking at a fine every time I take it out. rolleyes

Re: Scotland low emmision zones - 04/12/2017 16:07

Makes me wonder who makes up these silly rules Graham...

my coop will still be out n bout.

Newer doesn't always mean better !
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Scotland low emmision zones - 04/12/2017 17:11

Oooof frown

I'm just outside the zone but means picking someone up at the station or similar now (then) will be a no-no.

If they stopped having vehicles blocked at junctions or tram crossings .....taxis have a nightmare over here waiting for the darn things to cross, spewing diesel fumes all around in addition.

Wouldn't you be right on the boundary Graham?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Scotland low emmision zones - 04/12/2017 18:22

Will there be any dispensation for a classic car?

Re: Scotland low emmision zones - 04/12/2017 18:53

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Wouldn't you be right on the boundary Graham?

I'm near the edge of one of the named "Air Quality Management Areas" so depends on where the cameras are placed. If they're at the edge of the zone then I'm screwed, but if they're only in the main street I'll be OK and could still take the coupe out of town into the countryside in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted By magooagain
Will there be any dispensation for a classic car?

Apparently not, although exact details are yet to be published.

In the Scottish government consultation document it actually admits that in similar emissions zones in London and in other European cities the pollution level was only reduced by a massive... 0 to 4%!

I read something similar on New scientist years ago, they tested the air quality before and after the introduction of the London congestion charge and found no improvement at all, because the pollution from the displaced vehicles moves around in the air and reaches the "clean" zone anyway. So unless the low emission zone is made absolutely huge they tend to not make much if any difference.
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: Scotland low emmision zones - 05/12/2017 02:42

I really do wonder how they are going to implement this without having strong objections. Surely there must be some form of exemptions! I'm curious to see how this pans out..
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK