Fiat Coupe Club UK

New frozen issue?

Posted By: mr_nobut

New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 10:18

Hi, with this lovely cold weather it usual that the coupe freezes up in the normal places (doors, door locks, handbrake), but this morning I had a new one...my gear stick was frozen!!
Went to take out gear but somthing didn’t feel right as it didn’t want to go into neutral!! Started car with clutch in and gears would only engage 1st and seemed to be stuck (not going into any other gears)..after 5 mins with engine running it suddenly ‘popped’ out of gear and then I could engage reverse...after 10 mins driving..all ok in all gears?
What’s going on..gear linkage frozen? Anything I can do? Ta
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 10:31

I think a few people have flagged up issues with the Nylon base plates - and that they may need tlc in the cold!:

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1613403#Post1613403

MM

Re: New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 14:48

Ta master_mariner...joe at fcss recently replaced my nylon base as it was broken so that’s why I wondered if somthing at the other end (cable ends) could freeze, a bit like the handbrake can??
If it keeps sticking i’ll have to go back as could potentially be the gearbox end sticking!! Ta
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 15:10

Could well be something else freezing up then Mr Nobut,

Be interesting if it does it again -the Italian cars aren't liking the cold!

MM
Posted By: neil_r

Re: New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 15:37

Are these nylon baseplates something unique to the 20VTs? We have had a couple of mornings at -10 deg.C. this week and mine is behaving well. New handbrake cables as part of my pre TüV preparations help smile

The gear change is very slightly notchy but I think that is down to the tracking being slightly out. The outer edges of the tyres are a bit saw toothed, so another thing to add to the list.
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 15:56

Mine is also behaving itself.
Having had new handbrake cables and a new boot seal from Joe
it no longer freezes up inside and I've had the door handles apart and given the whole lot a good clean and oiling. cool

I think all coupes have the nylon base Neil.
Posted By: neil_r

Re: New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 16:00

Originally Posted By Dazvr6
I think all coupes have the nylon base Neil.

Better add that to my check list too cos it is original smile
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 17:03

Originally Posted By mr_nobut
Hi, with this lovely cold weather it usual that the coupe freezes up in the normal places (doors, door locks, handbrake), but this morning I had a new one...my gear stick was frozen!!
Went to take out gear but somthing didn’t feel right as it didn’t want to go into neutral!! Started car with clutch in and gears would only engage 1st and seemed to be stuck (not going into any other gears)..after 5 mins with engine running it suddenly ‘popped’ out of gear and then I could engage reverse...after 10 mins driving..all ok in all gears?
What’s going on..gear linkage frozen? Anything I can do? Ta

It'll be a first if it is a frozen gear cable David.

In the mean time check your gearbox oil level, didn't that box have the start of a whine?

Re: New frozen issue? - 27/02/2018 21:28

Ta joe, i’ll double check the levels but all seems ok on trip back from work!!

There is a bit of notchyness but that’s been there a while but better since the nylon base was done.

The whine is also much better and I don’t notice it as much since you did the oil...i’ll keep an eye on it but might be related to a problem at the gearbox end.... rolleyes

Just odd it happened when it’s been the coldest few nights in ages so thought something was frozen!!

Re: New frozen issue? - 01/03/2018 17:44

Definitely somthing freezing solid preventing gear selection.
Done this 3 times now with the cold weather and every time after engine has been running for 10 mins it ‘pops’ out and all gears work and gears all fine!!
Must be water getting into somthing!! Any suggestions as to where to squirt some wd40!!! Very odd confused

Re: New frozen issue? - 13/03/2018 17:11

Update: gear selection and action all back to normal now weather has warmed up......frozen gear stick/linkage, a first??!!! At least handbrake didn’t freeze on like my old coupe did all the time!! You got to love these Italian cars! rolleyes
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK