Fiat Coupe Club UK

Road trip

Posted By: Morrison

Road trip - 14/04/2018 11:08

Set off this morning at 7am for a trip to Torquay, 125 miles away. Coupe was fab, just over 4 hours driving and 250 miles covered, including the 50 miles I'd already done, that's 300 miles with over 1/4 of tank of petrol left.

The best thing about it? I came home with a Plus interior! Thanks to Allan and Mike who kindly decided to sell the seats and door cards just as I decided to go hunting eBay for them. Must've been fate.

Happy me, now off to remove the rear cards, fit new speakers, clean the 20 years of grime, and put it all back together again.
Posted By: Possum

Re: Road trip - 14/04/2018 22:44

And with the rear card removed, check for "tin worm" and treat if required.

Spray rust inhibitor into the rear panels and ensure the Pinninfarina badges are not letting water in.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Road trip - 15/04/2018 09:00

Oh, and be careful removing the cards. I snapped one near the gap for the seat belt trying to lever it off.

Re: Road trip - 15/04/2018 12:02

Well it took a bit longer than expected, cards came off relatively easily, rear speakers were shot and I couldn't be bothered making a 6x9 frame so I popped to Halfords for a cheapo set of standard size speakers. The back side of the cards were cracked in various places but the front sides were ok, one for the backlog.

Wasn't too worried about rust as Joe inspected the area a few years ago, but, tin worm was present in the driver's side. Scraped it off and treated with rust killer paint stuff. Sealed the pinin badges and reassembled.

Front and rear seats fitted, carpet cleaned and vacuumed. New mats, handbrake and gear gaiters (with obligatory red stitching) ordered from fleabay. Didn't get round to the door cards as it was dark by the time I got everything back together.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Road trip - 15/04/2018 14:14

Sounds like a good effort put in!

Did you get any photos whilst you were working away?
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Road trip - 16/04/2018 08:52

Sounds like a productive weekend!
As Gunzi said we need pics though laugh

I have a Plus steering wheel to finish off the interior if you're interested? thumb
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Road trip - 16/04/2018 11:16

I don't suppose you have an unworn Plus gear knob by any chance?

Re: Road trip - 16/04/2018 11:34

Sorry Dave I don't.

Re: Road trip - 16/04/2018 16:20

Sadly no pics, apart from one of the nasty old speaker.

Will take one of the seats in looking nice when I'm home on weds.

Daz - got any pics of the steering wheel? Pm me if needed.

Re: Road trip - 17/04/2018 09:27

Here's a couple for you.
It has a couple of marks on it but is in good condition otherwise with all stitching intact.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK