Fiat Coupe Club UK

Wheel spacers?

Posted By: mr_nobut

Wheel spacers? - 14/05/2018 07:32

Anyone used those 20mm wheel spacers available? I remember using these on my mini to make it look meaner but didn’t think they’d be the sort of thing available for coupes?
Any pros/cons or just plain useless....might look a bit better with a slightly wider stance or does it just mess the handling up? tongue
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Wheel spacers? - 14/05/2018 08:15

There can be negative effects. A change in the position of the centre point of the tyre in relation to the steering axis inclination (scrub radius) can have undesired effects on steering. Can make it very sensitive to bumps and can cause tranlining. Not always though. Also you'll need longer wheel nuts. Think spacers can also put extra forces on hub and other components.
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Wheel spacers? - 14/05/2018 09:27

I had 20mm spacers on my 16vt with 18 x 7.5 wheels and 225/35/18 tyres.
It pushed the wheels almost flush with the arches and looked much better than standard imo.
There was a small amount of rubbing on the front but only in reverse?
Steering was the same as without spacers.

Re: Wheel spacers? - 14/05/2018 10:26

If steering issues do result then you can switch to wheels with an appropriately different et to account for the spacers, thus restoring scrub radius to the correct value.
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Wheel spacers? - 14/05/2018 12:20

Completely agree with you about maintaining the track of the car. Any changes I have noticed on a number of cars including my Coupe were always negative. OK, it can look better ...

Buying wheels to suit the spacers so that the track remains the same as factory spec is a round about and expensive way of doing absolutely nothing smile

Re: Wheel spacers? - 14/05/2018 13:49

Yeah - that occurred to me after I made above post lol.

OK, so only choice if you want to maintain scrub radius would be to change the SAI or move the suspension points. Seems like a lot of effort to widen track.

Proper way to do it would be to lengthen wishbones and driveshafts and change SAI\pickup points. OK for for BTCC I guess.
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Wheel spacers? - 14/05/2018 14:03

I think the op just wants to fill the arches a bit better without making his coupe horrible to drive thumb
Mine drove absolutely fine at all speeds.

Re: Wheel spacers? - 14/05/2018 22:10

Interesting points, I just saw them on eBay and though back to my old mini days...!’m not convinced they’re worth the effort of messing with new tyres etc but tempted to give them a spin (no pun intended) especially as them aresupplied with longer bolts too....anyone got any pics with spacers fitted? crazy
Posted By: neil_r

Re: Wheel spacers? - 15/05/2018 06:10

Mini days - we had spacers and "165" tyres on a Mini that my mum and I shared decades ago. Tyres way too wide, giving grip - no grip handling and at least one wheel bearing would have to be changed every service.

If the designers meant the track to be wider, they would have done it from the start. I'd much rather a car drove as it was designed to than looked more like a racing car but drove less well, but each to their own.

Re: Wheel spacers? - 26/05/2018 11:34

Neil, point well made. I guess the coupe is no ‘mini’ and I think my car ‘hotting up’ days are probably behind me at my age!!! laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK