Fiat Coupe Club UK

Hot weather gremlins?

Posted By: G_Man

Hot weather gremlins? - 06/07/2018 10:55

The past few weeks have seen the temp here (like elsewhere) constantly in the high 20's and more. I've started to experience when crawling in traffic a slight hiccup with the engine that will trigger the injector light but once I'm on the open road everything's fine. Could be a coincidence? I was thinking that if the hot weather is making the oil really thin, so pressure will be lower than normal, then that could be the issue? It's had new plugs and air filter but could be a host of other things mind .. confused
Posted By: szkom

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 06/07/2018 11:26

If you can, plug startrek in to see what the ECU thinks is wrong.

It could be any number of things, but I'd learn towards a coil pack or plug leads breaking down in the heat
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 06/07/2018 12:36

I wouldn't think it's the hot temps. Mine is used to running in nigh on 40 + conditions and don't have any problems apart from boiling the power steering fluid.
But then again it's not sitting in traffic on tick over very often.

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 07/07/2018 06:18

Thanks for your input. I suspect you're right re leads / coil pack. The pack looks like it's the original so I assume the pack is a fairly straight forward bolt off / on job?
Posted By: mr_nobut

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 07/07/2018 11:09

Gman, I had a similar problem last hot spell, hiccuping and injector light and it turned out to be injector 1 failing when hot!!

Turn off and let it cool down and would be fine. When hiccuping I tried unplugging each injectors and it was obvious no.1 wasn't working properly. This was also confirmed by measuring resistance with a multimeter.

A second hand injector from Joe and a few scrapped nuckles and all now ok...just need to get air con regassed!!! laugh
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 07/07/2018 20:12

Checking/changing the injectors is a serious pain on a 16; they're tucked under the plenum.

20v injectors are known to fail hot, but I haven't heard of anything similar on the 16v. The plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm all need checking - in particular the leads which can wear against some sharp bits in the cam cover.

Also worth checking the connectors on the ignition coil and amplifier are clean. The amplifier doesn't have a history of failure, though the coil can die and replacements hard to find.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 08/07/2018 05:42

Are the 16v and 20v injectors the same?

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 08/07/2018 16:36

Don't believe so, but don't have a part reference to hand.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 09/07/2018 08:13

Originally Posted By BBR

Fitment wise, yes they are, but they flow different rates.

16vt is 384cc and I believe 20vt is 330cc

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 14/07/2018 14:33

Thanks peeps for your input. Like all things 16v the coil packs are tricky to find and appear to be anything from £170 upwards !
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 16/07/2018 09:50

Eurocarparts list a Bosch one for the 16v.
Comes to £55 for a pair after discount.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 16/07/2018 10:02

Originally Posted By Begbie
Originally Posted By BBR

Thanks for that - I was interested in the non-turbo versions though wink

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 16/07/2018 18:08

Dazvr6, the 16NA uses a single coil/amplifier and a distributor. The 16VT uses two wasted spark coil/amplifier blocks.

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 17/07/2018 06:09

Neil - do have a link for one please? Tried to post one up but not sure how to do it as I'm on my wife's mobile. Does this account for the price as it includes the amplifier?
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 17/07/2018 09:35

Originally Posted By BBR
Originally Posted By Begbie
Originally Posted By BBR

Thanks for that - I was interested in the non-turbo versions though wink

It's been a while, but for some reason the number of around 280cc - 300cc seems about right for the 16v N/A

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 17/07/2018 12:31

This looks like the animal: https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=4422&sku=52483

Includes the amplifier.

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 18/07/2018 15:59

Thanks Neil. That's a decent saving over some that I've seen advertised. Probably the next item on my shopping list together with some Bosch leads :-)

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 18/07/2018 17:44

Don't forget the king lead and a new rotor and dizzy cap.

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 23/07/2018 20:53

I've found that I can induce the injector light to come on! I drove back from Silverstone yesterday and the car didn't miss a beat however today in local traffic if I'm in 4th and the revs drop to around 2500 there'll be a slight hesitation and the light will pop up. If I drop it into 3rd and lift the revs the light will go out. It all seems to happen at 2500 - not sure what this is telling me .. confused Anyhow I'll aim to get a diagnostic check done before I start buying lots of parts.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 24/07/2018 13:07

Is that not rev range where the lambda takes over from the Maf? Or is it Vice versa?

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 24/07/2018 18:37

No, that's based on throttle position.

But it could suggest that the lambda sensor is on its way out.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 26/07/2018 15:00

Did you manage to get a diagnostic check done Gman?

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 29/07/2018 09:04

Booked in this Friday. I was planning to have a go cleaning the sensor but I gather it's behind the block / CAT area so what with the current weather etc I doubt I'll be able to do so. Anyway found this thread from yesteryear and reckon the lambda must be a good starter for 10:

https://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1397915&Searchpage=2&Main=119301&Words=%2Blambda+%2Bsensor+%2B16v&Search=true#Post1397915

I'll keep you updated smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hot weather gremlins? - 07/08/2018 10:48

Interesting as I have been having some injectors problems with the light coming on and the same hesitation around 2500rpm.

Upon examination one injector had packed in, so replaced with a spare cleaned & tested set, but then it came back and diagnosed to a faulty No.2 injector, now replaced. Back to running on 5 cylinders but still the slight occasional hesitation around 2500 rpm.

Does that suggest that I should look to the lambda sensor?

Also, are new injectors still available as I have not found any through searching on Google?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK