Fiat Coupe Club UK

Side Skirt Scew Advice???

Posted By: Mark_D

Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 22/12/2018 21:15

Hi folks,

I bought a pair of Auto DS skirts a fair while ago. I want to get them fitted after Christmas, job permitting. The only thing I’m wondering about is attaching the skirts. I know you have to use the likes of Tiger Seal or Sikaflex, but as far as I’m aware you are supposed to use 2 screws each end of each skirt.

What type of screws & where do people recommend I get them from?

If you’ve fitted after market skirts & have any experience, I’d be really grateful if you could guide me.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 22/12/2018 21:38

I would have thought a self taping stainless steel screw. Maybe squirt a bit of sealer in the hole and around it first to help with the sealing.

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 22/12/2018 22:17

Thanks mate, I was thinking myself, it would need to be stainless to avoid rust & encouraging rust in the wheel arches. I just didn’t know if anyone had been down that road and could recommend where to get them. Not sure if just smallish screws from the likes of B&Q or the likes or whether an automotive specific screw would be needed.

Thanks for your reply magooagainthumb
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 23/12/2018 10:39

I would wand to use a screw with a large head and flat on the heads underside or a screw with a fixed washer.

I thought I saw more than two screws on a LE before.

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 23/12/2018 11:16

Yes, I think there should be 2 at each end of each skirt, so 8 in total. I’m just trying to make sure I choose the most suitable screws before boring holes in the arches
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 23/12/2018 11:27

Just use sikaflex, no need for any screws at all. I used some wood at 45 degrees (with weights against it) to hold the skirts in place overnight. The fit is perfect and completely secure.

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 23/12/2018 15:30

Thanks Graham, I might just do that now you’ve confirmed they’d be secure enough. - did you have to trim any material off before fitting them. I take it you got the Auto DS ones?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 23/12/2018 17:51

Yup, AutoDS and they fitted perfectly, the only modification I made was to drill some drain holes on the underside at each end. And I had them re-painted as my coupe had been re-sprayed so many times that it was no longer a good match for the Fiat steel grey.

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 23/12/2018 21:26

Mate, you’ve just answered the questions I needed answering. I opened a post a few weeks ago but didn’t really get much response. You’ve just given me exactly what I need to know. I wanted an idea of where the water collects along the skirts as I want to prevent any possible rotting. That way Id know whereabouts to drill a few holes. I will now just proceed without the 8 screws into the arches and hopefully all will be ok.
Steel grey is an awesome colour. I chose that colour for my Punto as I loved it. The coops look really nice steel grey! Thanks again for answering my concernsthumb
Posted By: szkom

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 24/12/2018 09:52

Just make sure you clean and prep properly. The glue is only as good as the surface it's fastened to.

Re: Side Skirt Scew Advice??? - 24/12/2018 10:29

Thanks for that. Yes, I’ve learnt through previous experience to make sure things are prepped well enoughthumb
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK