Fiat Coupe Club UK

1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais

Posted By: Anonymous

1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 26/07/2017 15:47

Hi NG.

On my Coupé 16VT from 1994 sometimes the cooling fan dose not come in at 87°C. I guess the relais is worne out because it sometimes (when the fan comes in) makes a kind of noise.
I has to be located somwhere near the fusebox, below the stearing wheel where I can hear it.
Can you tell the exact position and can you help me to find correct spare part (might be something with 12v and 50a)

Thnks and best regards.

re-book
Posted By: rayzer82

Re: 1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 27/07/2017 05:11

I had this problem or similar with mine and it was actually the low speed switch on the fan itself. The plug on the back of the fan had melted and the plastic had gone brittle creating a bad connection so maybe check there first ...?

Re: 1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 27/07/2017 06:10

Hi thanks for your fast response.
And you can heare it when the fan starts?
I can heare click-click-click-crack inside the car.
For me it sounds like a bad relais inside the car.

Best regards
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 27/07/2017 11:53

There are different systems depending whether you have aircon or not. There's a relay that switches across a dropper resistor to get the slow speed or high speed fan, and if you have aircon, other relays that can override this.

The main control is a three-terminal two stage thermal switch in the side of the radiator.

Probably best to check the manuals/diagrams: http://italiancarsclub.free.fr/Centre-Do...%20part%201.htm

Re: 1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 07/08/2017 19:34

Thank you barnacle.
So it seems to be more complex than I thought.
Yes it has a aircon.

We talk about this part to start analysis?
Pic
The plastic on the plugs is totally rotten, but I don't believe that it is short there.

My best.

re-book

Re: 1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 07/08/2017 20:18

Worth checking the wires that go into that resistor. Beyond that, it's a question of chasing the wires...

Sadly it'll most likely be christmastime before I'm in Berlin next - granddaughter is coming from Berlin to the UK this week smile

Re: 1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 02/10/2017 18:59

Originally Posted By barnacle

Sadly it'll most likely be christmastime before I'm in Berlin next - granddaughter is coming from Berlin to the UK this week smile

So if you are in Berlin, when ever, contact me. I would be glad to meet you! I'm nearly the last daily Coupe dirver in Berlin smile
Meanwhile I have got some more serios problems.
I had to go to the TÜV and Ups, my breaks are not working correct. It is 160 right to 200 left in front and 70r to 120 on the rear wheels.
I found that the brake force regulator for the rear wheels is rotten. I have to replace it. The part is still availble so.... The bigger problem is that the brake pipes are rotten too and I guess they have to bee made by hand. Do you have a hint for me, where I can get the four pipes form and too the regulator? Second question is, dose it make sense to you to replace the brake caliper too?

Thanks for your time and help.
Florian
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: 1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 03/10/2017 10:41

Regulator is available from here Florian:

Compensator valve

Any half decent garage should be able to make up the brake pipes fairly easily. thumb

Re: 1 Stage Cooling Fan Relais - 03/10/2017 20:28

Calliper repair kits are available too, but most likely new pads and discs will get things working, once the proportioning valve and pipework is sorted.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK