Fiat Coupe Club UK

HID Headlight Fail

Posted By: Anonymous

HID Headlight Fail - 29/07/2017 11:42

Heya,

My coupe has a previously installed HID conversion, it looks like its been done to a good standard.

2 days ago my drivers headlight stopped working, had a quick look at the bulb and it appears to be fine.

What's it likely to be? Ballast?

If that's the case what are my options? Are these kits still available to buy?

Much trouble going back to standard headlights?

I'm in north London.

Cheers

Adam
Posted By: barnacle

Re: HID Headlight Fail - 29/07/2017 19:45

Equal chance of the bulb or the controller (ballast) - you can swap the bulbs side to side to see where the fail goes. You can't usually see any issue with the bulbs.

Any HID bulb will work with any controller *provided* they are the same wattage rating - usually either 35W or 50W. The wrong bulb can kill the controller. You may find that with the same bulbs and different controllers that the colours don't match exactly.

No problem swapping back to standard bulbs; just remove the existing controller, bulb, and wires, and connect the earth wire back to the tag on the holder in the headlight, and the live feed to the bulb base. Don't touch the bulb with your fingers; use gloves if you need to.

Edit: the bulbs and controllers are all over eBay. It's probably cheapest to get a complete kit and keep the old bulb/kit as spares. Bulbs dim over time.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HID Headlight Fail - 06/08/2017 17:57

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I ended up putting it back to standard headlights!

Cheers

Adam
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK