Fiat Coupe Club UK

Wiper linkage replacement

Posted By: Boosted7

Wiper linkage replacement - 04/08/2017 08:01

Hi all,

One of the balljoints in the wiper linkage pushrod is knackered on my 20VT. This means the rod keeps popping off the joint, resulting in no driver side wiper action. Slightly terrifying on a busy M42 in pouring rain, let me tell you.

Has anyone tried this replacement https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TY7M5O4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_yxdHzbP6GBQFV

Or are there any other alternatives? I've seen some clips on Amazon - do these work?

I must say I hate everything about the coupe wipers from the crappy and ugly screen washers/exposed hoses, poor sweeping area, the fact they do not sit perfectly flush on the scuttle panel (partly to ensure they sweep all the way across the drivers' side of the screen), the wobble at anything above 60mph, the "lift off" I experienced on the Autobahn at 130MPH., the stripped spindle that resulted in the wipers smashing into one another a few years ago, snapping a wiper arm. The list goes on! OK, rant over.. crazy
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Wiper linkage replacement - 04/08/2017 11:59

Funny you should say this, only last weekend we were wrestling with a similar issue in Ullapool with Paulie3's 20vt.
We ended up doing a temporary repair involving encasing the knackered pivot in large diameter split hosing, secured with cable ties.

That's an interesting piece of kit though - it's a question of whether you might be able to pick up a 2nd-hand wiper assembly for less .....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wiper linkage replacement - 08/08/2017 18:15

I need a driver side replacement wiper arm for my 20v Turbo and having great problems - I believe Fiat have stopped making them - do you know if there's any other that could be used instead?
Posted By: AndyL

Re: Wiper linkage replacement - 09/08/2017 08:47

Originally Posted By Boosted7

Has anyone tried this replacement https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TY7M5O4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_yxdHzbP6GBQFV

Or are there any other alternatives? I've seen some clips on Amazon - do these work?

I have the Wipex kit in the link. It works well and looks like it will last.
The clips - or at least the ones I got - don't fit, despite being listed for the Coop.
I looked at second hand linkages but they were hardly any cheaper, or more expensive, for a part which would probably fail in the same way as the original sooner or later.
I also researched cheaper and more widely available linkages for other Fiats/Alfas and suspect the Coop parts are unique to the Coop.
Cheers
Posted By: H_R

Re: Wiper linkage replacement - 09/08/2017 15:46

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Coupe-Front-Wiper-Motor-Linkage-New-Genuine-46305861-/371990801089?fits=Car+Make%3AFiat%7CModel%3ACoupe&hash=item569c612ac1:g:6UAAAOSw~rpZTSl0

Not sure if this is relevant to what you want
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Wiper linkage replacement - 09/08/2017 16:22

For 5 quid or less you can buy repair clips on the bay, they slip over the offending joints. Worth a punt at that price. Sorry can't do link.

Ah! I've just seen these mentioned already.. chinny
Posted By: Boosted7

Re: Wiper linkage replacement - 09/08/2017 19:48

Thanks guys. I've managed to source what looks like a fairly decent second hand one from Motormech (off that blue Plus they are breaking).

Will give it a go.
Posted By: SimonN

Re: Wiper linkage replacement - 09/08/2017 22:02

For what it's worth - I got the clips from ebay. They seem very sturdy. Only thing I had to install them upside down compared to the diagram. Trying for ages to clip them over, looked impossible, turned them round, hey presto!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK