Fiat Coupe Club UK

Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors

Posted By: Cappo

Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 10/08/2017 12:50

Afternoon all, a voice from the past re-surfaces wink Hope everyone is well.

MrsC's trusty 160k mile 20VT has started playing up, throwing an injector light intermittently and occasionally coughing and spluttering, esp when cold. I enlisted the services of Spock & Kirk, and they have reported back Injector 1 and Injector 5 Open Circuit. I have a few questions:

1. The Injector 1 message is in Red, and the Injector 5 message is in Amber. Accompanied by numerical codes which I'll check, I *think* they were 77 and 55? What's the difference between the two colours?

2. Does this suggest I need to replace those injectors, or is there another possible culprit? The car is currently running smoothly with no injector light on but it comes and goes so I imagine it will come back soon.

3. Where's best to get replacement injectors from? New or Used?

Looks like there is a guide to replacing the injectors which doesn't seem overly onerous?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 10/08/2017 13:29

Sounds like those injectors are failing so I'd replace them with good used ones as they're no longer available new.

Barnacle can confirm but I suspect the error colours are indicating a permanent (present) and intermittent (not currently present) error.

#1 is the left most (looking from front of engine bay)
#5 is middle (or #3 going left to right)

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 10/08/2017 13:31

Thanks Graham, I'll have to have a hunt for some then. Do you know whether they are specific to the 20VT or whether other Bosch-equipped cars use the same units?
Posted By: markopolo

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 10/08/2017 15:33

If you confirm its injectors I have some referbed ones with new seals,pintall caps etc.
PM me but be quick as I'm selling some at AGM this weekend
Posted By: phil_20VT

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 10/08/2017 18:06

If you undertake this yourself be careful not to round off the torx or ribe bolts holding the injector rail to the engine, I did so replaced them with some hex head bolts.

To comfirm the faulty injector you could swap the injectors around and see if the problems follows.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 10/08/2017 18:43

The red colour means the fault is present now or in the last 64 starts; the amber means it has been present but it's not there at the moment. The number is the number of times the engine has started since the last event.

You'll probably find that the resistance of the injectors are higher than they should be, or possibly even open circuit.

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 10/08/2017 21:26

Thanks Neil. The car does sometimes seem to run fine, smooth and no dash light, so I guess they're not fully o/c yet. I could test the resistance, although I only have a cheap meter. Any idea what it should be?

And if it's high or worse, then replacement is the only option I presume?
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 11/08/2017 19:01

Damned if I can recall, Cappo. It's been mentioned recently here though.

They'll get worse and then they'll go open circuit; unfixable.

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 11/08/2017 21:38

grr

Re: Startrek Diagnosis and fix please - Injectors - 13/08/2017 18:42

So I have 4 injectors coming in at 16.2/16.3 which I believe is in spec, and one at 27.2!

Markopolo has some for sale so I guess I'll change out the dodgy one and see where we go from there. With 2 x 20VT in the household it might be time to stockpile some!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK