Fiat Coupe Club UK

Cold start problem 2.0 16v na

Posted By: hsnlpy

Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 28/09/2017 09:11

Hi everybody.
I have serious problem with cold start only on cold weather.I can confirm that MAP sensor and ICV works well.Map sensor hose and ICV also cleaned as necessary.This morning i made some diagnostic with IAW-Scan and Startek.As i see there is big differences between water and air temps.When i was measure external thermometer air was 11*C degrees.

I think problem on water temperature sensor..Can somebody confirm it also ?

Thanks

pic
pic2
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 28/09/2017 17:44

10 degree differential between the temperature sensors is feasible, unless it's reading 21 degrees all the time.

There's nothing obvious showing why it wouldn't start, so the water temperature sensor is a good place to begin. But... one of the problems with the 16na is the distributor - check the cap has no cracks or carbon tracks inside, that the carbon brush is in place and the rotor arm is clean. Also check the HT leads and the connectors to the ignition amplifier and coil; it's worth cleaning any crud off the amplifier too; it tends to get a bit damp if rain or condensation comes through the radiator.

Re: Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 28/09/2017 17:50

Oh, and check the plugs. Set them to 0.7mm gap.
Posted By: ViktorBg

Re: Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 29/09/2017 17:08

And gap for 16vt? @barnacle

Re: Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 30/09/2017 07:02

Don't know, Viktor... the *official* gap for the 16NA is 0.9mm, but I discovered through long experimentation that this can make it difficult to start, or to misfire when cold, hence the 0.7mm I use now.

I *think* that's it's 0.9mm for the 16VT also, but I'm not sure.

Re: Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 01/10/2017 13:52

Changed spark plugs also cables.Cleaned ignition amplifier and any necessary sockets.Cleaned also distributor cap.No differences for now.Next step to change water temperature sensor and then whole distributor cap..

Engine works well when temps are get hot..No power lose.
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 08/10/2017 19:06

Could it be the head gasket maybe? I had a motorbike that ran OK but was a pig to start and that's what it was.

Re: Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 08/10/2017 19:46

Another place to look is inside the head cover; make sure the leads aren't abraded where they pass bolt heads etc in there. Though that usually leads to misfiring rather than bad starting.

Are you sure you have fuel pressure in the line when the car is cold? I've had a crack in the fuel pump that allowed the fuel line to empty overnight; worked fine when hot but took some churning cold before anything happened.

Re: Cold start problem 2.0 16v na - 09/10/2017 12:57

Changed also fuel pump.Used 2 bottle of injector cleaner.Some strange trouble.I am pretty happy with my car and only problem is this one now..Cold start takes time and till some temperature high idle around 1200-1300 rpm.Next step i will change Idle control valve also..

Thanks for kindly answers
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK