Fiat Coupe Club UK

Post service tick over issue when cold

Posted By: Blueboyracer

Post service tick over issue when cold - 04/12/2017 13:49

I recently serviced my 16vna

New plugs, leads, cap, rotor arm, oil, air and oil filters, coolant

Plus I removed thermostat from housing and replaced with inline option
Plus I installed a new induction hose just prior to the ICV as the previous one was split

Now the car doesn't idle when cold - any ideas
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Post service tick over issue when cold - 04/12/2017 14:42

Air leak around the new hose or wrong plugs?

Sometimes plugs have the same basic ID number but there are different spark gap versions within that ID and if the supplier isn't aware of that you can get a non-standard gap version supplied. Maybe try the old ones back in it if you still have them and they were still working OK?

Don't really know enough about the 16v to advise anything further.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Post service tick over issue when cold - 04/12/2017 17:54

ICV died? The coil goes open circuit, the valve stays shut. Measure the coil resistance.

Meanwhile, temporary fix is to crank up the idle speed via the bypass bleed on the throttle body (big brass screw).

Re: Post service tick over issue when cold - 04/12/2017 19:03

Originally Posted By GrahamL
Air leak around the new hose or wrong plugs?

Sometimes plugs have the same basic ID number but there are different spark gap versions within that ID and if the supplier isn't aware of that you can get a non-standard gap version supplied. Maybe try the old ones back in it if you still have them and they were still working OK?

Don't really know enough about the 16v to advise anything further.

I will check the plugs Graham, just in case

Re: Post service tick over issue when cold - 04/12/2017 19:05

Originally Posted By barnacle
ICV died? The coil goes open circuit, the valve stays shut. Measure the coil resistance.

Meanwhile, temporary fix is to crank up the idle speed via the bypass bleed on the throttle body (big brass screw).

Hmmm that would be a pain for the ICV to die during a service, how could that happen?
I will measure the resistance for sure... would anything show up in startrek?
Big brass screw will be found in meantime then, thanks Neil
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Post service tick over issue when cold - 04/12/2017 19:24

I think the ECU knows what the mark/space ratio driving the ICV is, but doesn't measure the thing. It seems to measure only input things, not outputs.

You will have had to take it off to get to the thermostat, I think, which might have caused an issue - but also, it might be something else entirely.

You know about making sure the tube from the manifold to the pressure sensor is neither blocked nor split? Doesn't usually stop it idling but can cause all sorts of woe...

Re: Post service tick over issue when cold - 04/12/2017 19:32

I can’t wait to get back in the garage again now, so much to do...
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Post service tick over issue when cold - 05/12/2017 10:56

"leads, cap, rotor arm,"

Hi BBR - old school hat on here...try swapping out the new rotor arm for the old-Or new cap for the old- or variations of both- just to eliminate them as causing the issue?

And fairly quick items to check..

Regards

MM
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK