Fiat Coupe Club UK

Standard car alarm

Posted By: pvig73

Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 08:46

Morning all,

I am in a bit of a dilemma as I have lost the keyfob for the standard alarm, which at the moment is fine as I don't use the alarm but in case I have to disconnect the battery for any reason then the hazards will start flashing but luckily with no noise.

Where would the alarm usually be located so I can turn it off/disconnect it completely?

Thanks in advance all,
Paolo.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 08:57

Alarm control box is usually tucked up above the fuse box in driver's footwell, siren usually behind passenger side wing or in engine bay around intercooler/airbox.

If it's a meta alarm you can disconnect it by unplugging the light blue connector hanging at right side of fuse box.

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 10:08

Thanks Graham,

The thing I can recall is the fob had the thinnest rubber button known to humankind so not really sure if it's a Meta alarm.

Again, many thanks,
Paolo.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 10:32

Was it a circular fob with one button? If so, likely to be the Meta one, I had to replace a fob due to deterioration of the rubber button.

Do you have the alarm code card (a little red plastic card, slightly smaller than a credit card) because if you do you can buy a new fob and get it programmed using the code on the card.

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 10:37

Hi Dave,

It was a square fob with a diagonal button if memory serves me correctly. It may have had two other smaller rubber buttons on either side if the main button?! No, unfortunately I don't have the plastic card.

I'm hoping the fob is around the house somewhere, not lost in the street!

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 10:59

Doesn't sound like the normal Meta fob I am used to, but does it look like any of these? (H or J perhaps?) Being a 1999 model it would't be Scorpion (rectangular fob with 2 buttons, red LED, slider switch on one side, and usually a FIAT logo on).

Perhaps an aftermarket system?

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 11:04

Hi Dave,

Goes to show how long ago I saw it or how often I take notice of it because it is the M100 (A) in the link you've provided. I don't know why I thought it was square?!

Thanks again for this as it is really much appreciated.

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 11:06

Sounds like the fob I got with the Meta alarm in my first (1999) coupe, picture "A" in Dave's link. In which case unplugging the light blue connector at the side of the fuse box should disconnect it.

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 11:08

Thanks Graham,

My mate is doing some work on it this week so I'll ask him to do that.

Cheers guys smile

Re: Standard car alarm - 18/12/2017 14:19

The Meta alarm code card looks like the one in this picture click to enlarge

Re: Standard car alarm - 05/03/2018 19:01

Hi all,

It’s been a while regarding this issue and had to disconnect the battery hence the thread bump.

I have followed the instructions from previous posts as well a getting guidance from a mate and from Sam from Abacus alarms and.........I just can’t find the control unit. There’s no box above/beside the fuse box or behind the carpet around the area. I’m at a loss and just so frustrated.

Don’t know what to do next to be honest.

Re: Standard car alarm - 05/03/2018 19:27

What year is your coupe?

Did you find and unplug the light blue connector at side of fuse box in driver's footwell?

Re: Standard car alarm - 05/03/2018 19:33

I honestly couldn’t see the that blue connector Graham. That’s the first thing I looked for. I’ll need to have another go tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes.

It’s a 99 S plate.

Re: Standard car alarm - 06/03/2018 12:06

I never mentioned due to my forgetfulness that the car is a German import (UK spec) car so the alarm could be absolutely anywhere.

May have to take the rear seats out to get the rear quarter panels off as the unit may be in that area. The sensors are on the panels next to the rear shelf but don't know if that has any bearing or not!

Re: Standard car alarm - 06/03/2018 14:49

Have a look at the other end of the dash, above the glovebox, or even in the engine compartment (ahead of the air box, under the rubber "flap". If you have interior movement sensors and/or a tell-tale LED, trace the wiring back from those to find the alarm ECU, you may need to remove the A pillar trim, door seals, etc.

Re: Standard car alarm - 06/03/2018 22:13

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. My mate was having a look and when we opened the bonnet the indicators flashed and we could hear the relay clicking on the passenger side. Opened the glovebox and the cut off switch was right at the top of the glovebox.

Now fully disconnected.

Re: Standard car alarm - 06/03/2018 23:29

That could be a factory-fit alarm then, as shown in the Owner's Handbook. In the UK we mostly have alarms fitted at point of import to the UK. Or yours might just have been fitted with a key switch in the same place as the Handbook shows. You are lucky to have the key, and that it turns the alarm off, on the Scorpion alarm it just switches the siren off.

Re: Standard car alarm - 07/03/2018 08:32

Even my mate said I was lucky to have that key and not to have binned it. Unfortunately, I don't have an owners manual so may have to find one.

The interior LED switched of and no indicators flashed so I'm happy for that at the moment.

Re: Standard car alarm - 31/03/2018 05:47

Originally Posted By DaveG

Do you have the alarm code card (a little red plastic card, slightly smaller than a credit card) because if you do you can buy a new fob and get it programmed using the code on the card.

So that's what that was...'chucked it out years ago rolleyes
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK