Fiat Coupe Club UK

Central locking not working with either fob

Posted By: JKD

Central locking not working with either fob - 28/12/2017 21:59

When I press the unlock/lock button on either fob (the one that's always been used as well as the spare one that's never been used until now), the red lights on both fobs flash but the car doesn't unlock.

Both doors do unlock together when I open the driver's door with the key, but of course the red dashboard light stays on.

This is after fully charging the battery again from flat after a long time, if that could be causing a problem? I'm starting to think doing this causes a different electrical problem each time? I remember now that at one point after charging it up, the car wouldn't start with any key, then the next time I charged it up, it seemed to work ok! confused crazy

Could a battery in this condition cause problems with the link between the fob and the car?

Or is this something totally different?

Thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 28/12/2017 23:52

Alarm ECU or the services ECU under driver's seat might have crashed with the low power, so disconnect the battery for a minute to reset everything and try again.

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 29/12/2017 17:29

Tried it, nothing. frown

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 29/12/2017 21:34

Probably dead alarm box then, bin it and fit one of the cheap remote locking units from ebay.

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 30/12/2017 19:13

Just some quick clarification please.

According to the owner handbook, in the glove compartment, there is a pawl with a protective rubber cap that you raise and you then turn the emergency key to the off position, in order to turn the alarm off.

In my glove compartment there appears to be a round plastic cover in the middle but I can't seem to take it off. Pulling it only seems to move it a bit and it easily rotates but that of course doesn't make it looser? Is this what the manual is referring to, or at least some variation of it?

Or was this feature only on some Coops? confused

The handbook picture makes it look as if raising the rubber cap still has it partially connected to the pawl, whereas this looks like something that if I pulled it too hard it would totally come off! I don't want to unnecessarily break something.

Thanks.

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 31/12/2017 09:57

Never seen an alarm switch in the glove box, only the passenger airbag switch on later coupes.
Posted By: Possum

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 31/12/2017 21:15

Originally Posted By GrahamL
Never seen an alarm switch in the glove box, only the passenger airbag switch on later coupes.

I have one in the glove box of my 1996 16VT, it is on the underside of the dash, in the middle. One has to bend down to see it. My cap has a "peak" on the cover which just lifts up to expose the key hole for the small round key that I have.

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 06/01/2018 16:25

Originally Posted By GrahamL

How can I temporarily disable the alarm/immobiliser if my Coop doesn't have this alarm switch as per the manual?

I just want to charge up the battery, put in some petrol, start the engine, get it towed to a garage, get an MOT done and then sort any faults out after that if it is worth it.

The car has been SORN for a while and I'm expecting it to have a massive list of problems. So I'm trying to if I can, pay just for petrol, the MOT and towing. Just enough so that I can see how many problems it has got.

Of course deep down I'm hoping that it only has a few problems to sort out. laugh
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 06/01/2018 16:29

Originally Posted By JKD

Of course deep down I'm hoping that it only has a few problems to sort out. laugh

That's more like it laugh

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 06/01/2018 19:55

Actually, can't just unlocking the door with a key and putting it in the ignition to whatever required position just turn the alarm off? As long as the system recognises that its a correct key and the CODE light doesn't stay on? confused

Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, can't you just somehow turn the alarm off (in the same way you normally do with the fob) without the fob as long as you have a correct key? confused

Thanks.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 07/01/2018 09:03

Your profile doesn't reveal which model you have, but if your alarm fob has a small red LED then I'm guessing it's a Scorpion 918U as fitted up to around 1998 UK cars. Do you have a rectangular fob with two buttons at the top, a slider switch on one side and a little connection socket on the other side? If you do, then you should have an alarm siren in the space behind the n/s side/indicator/fog lamp unit, which can be turned off, but only if you have the key of course. Or you could disconnect it, and/or disconnect the alarm ECU which is normally buried behind the dash, remove the end panels and have a look.

The alarm is separate from the CODE immobiliser, it just sounds the alarm when activated, but won't prevent you starting the engine.

Can you start the engine? If it only starts intermittently, does the injector light or CODE light come on?

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 07/01/2018 16:11

Will have to put in some petrol and then try starting the engine.

Yeah, its a Scorpion.

If the red LED on the fob stays lit for the same amount of time you are holding the fob button, does that even mean the fob battery is ok?

Because I've never actually changed the battery on either fob and I've had the car for many years! So could it also be a low fob battery as well?

How do you even open the fob?

Thanks.

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 07/01/2018 16:35

On mine (although a Toad fob) you prise open the two halves like a clam shell

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 07/01/2018 17:03

That's what I thought, but it just doesn't open! It feels like my fingernails are going to come off! laugh

Crowbar? laugh

Re: Central locking not working with either fob - 07/01/2018 17:48

Originally Posted By JKD

Crowbar? laugh

Yes, but very very very tiny....

There maybe a small indentation around the perimeter to start you off.

If all else fails, keep taking the tablets, post a pic laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK