Fiat Coupe Club UK

New TüV (MOT) but ...

Posted By: neil_r

New TüV (MOT) but ... - 07/03/2018 09:14

Hi,

The friendly tester at the TüV test centre let my Coupe pass this morning which is a relief after doing a long list of small taks in the cold recently:

5x coils (Bremi 20336)
Thermostat (Gates TH19588G1 )
Temp Sensor (Facet 73147)
Rear discs (Brembo 08.5085.11)
Handbrake cables (Textar 44020100 / -200)
Clutch Slave Cylinder (TRW PJL159)
H1 Bulbs (Philips X-treme Vision 130%)
ABR drop links (Febi Bilstein 12096)
Radiator Plug 4478544 (IPRA)
Washer valve 7667888
Washer nozzle Bosch 3 398 699 138 (FIAT 5895408)
Washer nozzle Bosch 3 398 699 136 (FIAT 5895504)
Repair switches and paint console
Console Bulb
Check Brake balance valve
Oil and filter change
Air filter
Pollen filter (Champion N109)
Brake fluid (ATE SL6)

The car is mechanically in pretty good condition but three new problems were pointed out to me:

1. Needs as new cat because the inner part is rattling inside the outer one but it is still working. Are there any cats to avoid or will any that fit do? I just need a standard one?

2. The gaitors on the wishbones are cracking so I will need new wishbones I guess. Again, any ones better than others? I can get Lemförder, Ruville, Meyle, etc.

Last point was not so unexpected as the car is slowly rusting away. The sills are not in the best of shape and need some work. The degree of repair is down to me I guess and I have to think about before committing to a plan.

Oh well, I think my wallet is going o empty a little more still smile
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: New TüV (MOT) but ... - 07/03/2018 09:56

That is a lot of work done Neil - deep pockets for these cars sometimes hey.

I was told Lemförder were the best wishbones to get - I assume you mean bushes on the wishbones not gaitors though.

My sills need work to - going to test my MIG skills underneath first though smile

Re: New TüV (MOT) but ... - 07/03/2018 10:00

The guy said one gaitor is cracked around the outer ball joint and so will let dirt in and then it will wear out frown But they are original so can't complain too much. Lemforder are available here so that is OK smile They are the most expensive though.

The car drives really well still but is showing its age now.
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: New TüV (MOT) but ... - 10/03/2018 19:55

Originally Posted By neil_r

1. Needs as new cat because the inner part is rattling inside the outer one but it is still working. Are there any cats to avoid or will any that fit do? I just need a standard one?

Neil,

From my project thread as I had the same issue :

""Replaced the Cat Converter from BM Exhaust Systems ( Part Number BM90379 )""

An easy straight swap. Its smaller than original in width, so easy install. Length perfect. Came with 2 year guarantee.

Re: New TüV (MOT) but ... - 12/03/2018 06:58

Hi SC,

I bought the cheapest (but not that cheap) homologated cat I could find over here - "house supplier". I was wondering if it was the BM because they said it came with the K90379 mountiing kit. And when it arrived, it had BM90379H on the label smile

We are not allowed to use the non-certified cats so have to pay more for the H version.

It included the K90379 mounting parts which omitted to include a flange gasket or the plug/cap for the threaded pipe that sticks out of the side of the inlet pipe frown I had a suitable gasket but the cap is proving hard to track down.

Fitting was easy enough but getting the original nuts and bolts off after 21 years was not and needed cutting off. They had bonded themselves to each other smile

The new little cat sounds a bit crap though!
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: New TüV (MOT) but ... - 12/03/2018 21:40

Originally Posted By neil_r
Hi SC,

I bought the cheapest (but not that cheap) homologated cat I could find over here - "house supplier". I was wondering if it was the BM because they said it came with the K90379 mountiing kit. And when it arrived, it had BM90379H on the label smile

We are not allowed to use the non-certified cats so have to pay more for the H version.

It included the K90379 mounting parts which omitted to include a flange gasket or the plug/cap for the threaded pipe that sticks out of the side of the inlet pipe frown I had a suitable gasket but the cap is proving hard to track down.

Fitting was easy enough but getting the original nuts and bolts off after 21 years was not and needed cutting off. They had bonded themselves to each other smile

The new little cat sounds a bit crap though!

So you have the same other than a H version. Mine came with the fitting kit and was all there, but I chose to purchase separate stainless clamps as was fitting a stainless steel exhaust without a mid silencer, I cannot comment on the sound of the cat, as I have a straight through SS pipe from the cat to the rear SS silencer, my sound ten times better than stock.

Re: New TüV (MOT) but ... - 13/03/2018 07:32

I expect the cat is identical apart for the welded on plate with the R103-xxx number on it smile

I will check the mountings, joints and the heat shields again at the weekend just to make sure nothing has come loose or is touching where it shouldn't.

The sound is higher pitched than before but the car seems to run better. Maybe the old one was a bit blocked up.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: New TüV (MOT) but ... - 18/03/2018 18:36

Your Coupe will feel better with new wishbones. If you’ve got the time it’s worth doing the track rod ends (end of steering rack) and anti roll bar drop links. It will feel a lot more ‘pointy’ thumb

Re: New TüV (MOT) but ... - 19/03/2018 07:04

Track rods and track rod ends are not that old actually. It did make a difference when they were changed but not dramatic. I only had to change them because they had rusted together!

The drop links are new. They seem to need replacing every 2 or three years and they really do make a difference but they are cheap and easy to change smile

I'm sure new wishbones can't be a bad thing as they are original but they have only seen 57k miles on reasonable German roads without being too abused either smile The car drives surprisingly well still. It is very tight "new-like", direct, stable, brakes well, etc. Shame about all the rust frown We have much newer cars too and compared to them, it does not feel baggy at all. Quite surprised!

The other obvious parts that will give way at some point are things like the shocks and the wheel bearings but everything seems OK for now.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK