Fiat Coupe Club UK

Fuel gauge and rev counter not working

Posted By: X19_pilot

Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 18/04/2018 11:06

In the throws of getting the car back on the road, MOT passed fine... But just taken it round the block and the fuel gauge and rev counter dont seem to be working. I have put a couple of gallons of fuel in the car to see if that helped things but the orange light is still on and the needle is resting on the empty pin.

The rev counter did stop working and then started operating fine after its last period of no usage, but now stopped again.

Since the two are next to each other on the dash, could it be a fault with the dials or at the sender unit end?

Thanks in advance

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 18/04/2018 11:29

Quick update, the fuel gauge is now working, I took both plugs off the sender unit and sprayed them with contact cleaner.

Just the rev counter to try and sort now...
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 18/04/2018 11:58

As well as the contacts on the cables, check the bolts that locate the dials to the circuit film are intact and tight enough (but no so tight they tear the circuit!)

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 18/04/2018 12:35

Thanks Neil, I will have a look at the how to's to get to the circuit board behind the instrument panel, as it doesnt look like the easiest of jobs.

I am hoping that with a bit of use, it will start working again like last time, although if its moisture related it might need some surgery, as thats what cooked my ECU last year.

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 18/04/2018 15:25

Once you get the binnacle out, it's all visible.
Posted By: Jay1984

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 19/04/2018 09:50

I've got the same issue with my Plus Dials. I've already ruled out the bolts being loose so it appears a replacement Rev Counter is in order.

I've managed to acquire a standard set of dials so I am hoping to swap the internals of the Rev Counter so that I can keep my plus dials. Will be doing it in a couple of weeks. I'll take lots of photos and try to type up a "How 2".... you know, if I'm successful!

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 19/04/2018 14:25

You can do that, Jay. When you get the cover off, the needles will pull off the spindles and then there are a couple of tiny bolts that hold the face to the works.

The only thing I'd bear in mind is that - from memory - the normal dials go to 160mph and the plus dials to 180mph; I'm not sure how the calibration matches.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 19/04/2018 16:25

It's the rev counter, not the speedo, so a straight swap. IIRC I had to do the same on the Plus dials in my Porto 20vt (replace the gubbins from a clearly more reliable "regular" 20vt instrument panel)

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 19/04/2018 18:30

Originally Posted By DaveG
clearly more reliable "regular" 20vt instrument panel)

Ahem wave mine is the so called “reliable” model! I would have had reliability out of mine if it had been built by BMC during the strike days! biglaugh

Not had chance to mess about with it today, I was going to run an errand in it but in typical fashion, the battery was flat... started first time after a week of standing yesterday! Volt meter shows normal charge, so I have put her on a battery reconditioner and hopefully get chance next week.
Posted By: Jay1984

Re: Fuel gauge and rev counter not working - 17/05/2018 07:48

Just to update, I managed to swap my rev counter out for a replacement however still no joy. I couldn't be 100% confident that the replacement Rev Counter was in good working order so there was always the chance that I'd replaced a broken rev counter for another broken rev counter!

I managed to source another set of standard dials from eBay. I plugged them in and made sure everything worked - All good, rev counter working as it should (this ruled out an issue with the signal being sent to the dials).

I then swapped the rev counter AGAIN with the known working counter. BINGO! It works! I've now managed to keep my plus dials and have a working Rev counter!!

Took photos from start to finish so I'll get to work on a "How 2" over the next couple of days for anyone with a similar issue.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK