Fiat Coupe Club UK

Sudden loud clunking o/s/f

Posted By: Edinburgh

Sudden loud clunking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 17:45

Last Sunday coop had a spin for about 25 mins, all fine.

Today after a week's immobility, pulling away from the kerb resulted in several (3 or 4) loud metal-on-metal clunking noises, and continued to do so every time the lock was alternated.

The top mounts were done about 3/4 years ago but that was more of a creaking - this is rather more alarming.

Haven't got pics just yet but initial photos show an apparent equality of set up between o/s and n/s, no obvious kinks in TRE's.

Also odd it passed the MOT a fortnight ago....

Will try and get a video....

Posted By: wink

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 17:54

Broken spring? Had very similar symptoms on my van recently - spring broke whilst standing overnight. Apparently they often die in their sleep shocked

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 18:08

That sounds interesting, hadn't thought of that.

If this is the case is it advisable to have both sides replaced at the same time?

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 18:15

Also the noise wasn't evident while driving in a straight line.

Although speeds were no more than 20 mph, if that....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 18:19

Loose wheel bolts, broken spring, dodgy CV joint or drop link?
Posted By: wink

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 18:27

If it is the spring, change both. Otherwise it'll be a couple of inches lower on one side - they do compress with age.

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 18:59

Underarch o/s

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Pictures courtesy of dante giacosa thumb
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 19:07

Was looking at the first pic thinking "something really isn't right here" until I realised it was upside down. smile

Nothing looks amiss other than that the little cover for the wishbone balljoint at the brake disc is missing, but that's not a major issue. And brake disc doesn't look great on the inside.

Can't see the spring though , so could be that or the CV joint is dodgy inside. Did you check the wheel bolts were tight?

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 20:05

Originally Posted By GrahamL
Was looking at the first pic thinking "something really isn't right here" until I realised it was upside down. smile

Did you check the wheel bolts were tight?

Sorry, forgot to mention the upside-down bit!

Will check bolts tomorrow although I would find it hard to imagine why they would come loose all of a sudden.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 20:13

Easy to check your springs while your there also. It's normally the bottom coil or so that breaks on a spring. It won't be obvious, initially, until you feel where the bottom coil of the spring ends. If it's broken it won't butt against the notch on the spring seat.

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 29/04/2018 20:18

Originally Posted By szkom
Easy to check your springs while your there also. It's normally the bottom coil or so that breaks on a spring. It won't be obvious, initially, until you feel where the bottom coil of the spring ends. If it's broken it won't butt against the notch on the spring seat.

Thanks szkom thumb
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 30/04/2018 04:32

Simon, If its not broken springs then your symptoms sound alot like binding springs when the top mount bearings aren't rotating smoothly. This usually happens at full lock and the clunking sound is when the coil springs back into position.

I know you mentioned that they were replaced 3-4 years ago but worth checking them again. The top mount plates could be ok but the bearings are the ones that are seized. The bearings are easy enough to refurb (clean and regrease).

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 30/04/2018 07:11

Cheers Kelv, on the list to check... smile

My only trusted garage is 25 miles away but there is an "emergency" place only a half-mile down the road.

How wise/dangerous would it be to attempt to drive it this relatively short distance if it were a broken spring....could something really drastic happen?

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 30/04/2018 07:30

Perhaps you could check if its the springs that are indeed broken by jacking up the car first?

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 30/04/2018 07:40

Fair comment....I've just had an op for kidney removal so I'm not really even on light duties yet but I'll see if I can enlist the help of a trusty colleague smile

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 30/04/2018 07:45

Oh dear, not a good idea to be doing any form of laborious work then! Get well soon Simon.

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 01/05/2018 11:54

Update -

The spring is definitely u/s and what's more has damaged the top mount frown

4x Bilsteins and 1x top mount +coil bearing kit later...... frown
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 01/05/2018 12:17

Do let others graft so you're not risking the wound, get well soon thumb

Btw did you mean Eibachs by chance chinny

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 01/05/2018 12:20

Originally Posted By Countrycruising

Btw did you mean Eibachs by chance chinny

yes

It's the bloody meds.....(that's my story) laugh

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 01/05/2018 15:54

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Update -

4x Bilsteins and 1x top mount +coil bearing kit later...... frown

Might I suggest you do both top mount kits while the springs are off. It'll help the car sit even once rebuilt

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 01/05/2018 16:02

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Update -

4x Bilsteins Eibachs and 1x top mount +coil bearing kit later...... frown

Might I suggest you do both top mount kits while the springs are off. It'll help the car sit even once rebuilt

chinny......

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 12/05/2018 10:56

At last the Eibachs came through from Germany, so with the 2 new front 30mm lowering springs to match the rears along with two new top mounts (thank you szkom) it's running nice and tight again, firm but not crashy.

I'm also just back into driving again yesterday after the op so along with today's sunshine it's great to be flying the Bee again even if just for the weekly shop laugh driving

It means I have two spare rear springs.....

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 12/05/2018 16:15

Get the new rear springs on if you can. I think you'll be amazed at the difference in ride.

Re: Sudden loud creaking o/s/f - 12/05/2018 16:23

Get the new rear springs on if you can. I think you'll be amazed at the difference in ride.

chinny !
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK