Fiat Coupe Club UK

HELP!!!

Posted By: Guzbod

HELP!!! - 31/12/2018 12:23

Recently I have had trouble starting the coupe. It fires when I turn the key but I hear what sounds like a belt slipping. Then the engine only partially fires and stops. I turn the key again, the engine fires and good revs then it starts spluttering and stops. I have just changed the spark plugs and nothing has changed. Anyone got any suggestions as what I might try nrxt please?
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: HELP!!! - 31/12/2018 14:01

Hi Guzbod,

First thing first - with the ignition off and keys out, you need to check the tension of the aux belts.

Next thing would be to put the old spark plugs back in-presuming the engine was running ok with them in.

Perhaps you have a wrongly graded/wrongly gapped spark plug. Presuming you have not put something back together the wrong way around?

Any warning lights coming on and staying on the dashboard?

If the engine was running properly before you changed the spark plugs - this should be easy to resolve.
Regards

MM

Re: HELP!!! - 31/12/2018 14:10

Thanks for that but the engine was not running properly before that is why I changed the plugs. The auxilliary belt seems tight enough, it was fitted by Motormech.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: HELP!!! - 31/12/2018 16:48

Spluttering and cutting out on cold start up usually the idle control valve is the first place people look at.
Removal and a clean and check the gasket is the easiest port of call.

Re: HELP!!! - 31/12/2018 17:52

Thanks I'll have a look at the ICV
Posted By: szkom

Re: HELP!!! - 31/12/2018 19:14

Sounds like a vac leak to me. You'll want to go around and check that all the pipes are in good order and sealed correctly. That's a nice easy job for an afternoon. You can remove each pipe in turn, clean and reseat. And unless you're absolutely sure on the condition, I'd swap out the clips for good quality jubilee on the 'boost' section of the inlet tract. If that does not work, and it might not (but it's a cheap first step) you'll want to consider the MAF sensor. Mine would barely start with a duff sensor.

You also want to investigate the squeal fairly urgently. It might be nothing as some belts just make a noise but equally it could be a bearing as there's quite a few down there. Again mine spat it's power steering support bearing, which killed my engine...

Once you've got you engine running right, you just need to get someone to listen as you start the car. It should be obvious where the noise is coming from.
Posted By: Rob40

Re: HELP!!! - 31/12/2018 21:39

Also might be worth checking the insulation on the injector wires for cracking and possible arcing. Those and the coilpack wires suffer from degradation due to heat and age.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: HELP!!! - 02/01/2019 09:00

Sounds like a fuel starvation issue, check the yellow connector of death and listen to see if the fuel pump primes when you turn the key to MAR.

Re: HELP!!! - 26/01/2019 12:30

Issue eventually tracked to water in the petrol tank. Fuel filler cap damaged and water getting into the fuel tank. Now just have to get 50litres of water and petrol out of the petrol tank!!
Posted By: Possum

Re: HELP!!! - 27/01/2019 05:07

Would tipping some metho into the tank help to disperse the water?

Re: HELP!!! - 28/01/2019 17:01

I have pumped out all the water and petrol and am now going to remove the swirl pot and mopp up the rest with a sponge!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: HELP!!! - 28/01/2019 19:52

Originally Posted By Guzbod
I have pumped out all the water and petrol and am now going to remove the swirl pot and mopp up the rest with a sponge!

Be super careful when removing the two fuel lines, it's very easy for the plastic spigots they fit on to fracture. Apply some lubricant or warm them slightly - no not with a candle laugh

Re: HELP!!! - 29/01/2019 08:25

Thanks for that. It is raining at the mo so I'll leave it for a nice sunny day lol
Posted By: godders

Re: HELP!!! - 09/02/2019 12:36

Would also suggest replacing fuel filter, if you’ve had water in tank the filter will below par anyways (it’s behind OS Wheel arch under car) apart from probably a rusted bolt on the clamp it’s easy to get to - though you will need to get right under car, remove the plastic cover to access

Re: HELP!!! - 12/02/2019 18:40

Latest progress!!
I have removed the electrical connections and the fuel lines from the swirl pot. The nut and bolt holding the last pipe are rusted., I have soaked them inWD 40 but the nut doesn't seem to be 8 or 7mm! Joe has suggested I be careful as the bolt is likely to shear off. My question is - if the bolt does shear off is it possible to easily replace it or is the unit fubarred?

Re: HELP!!! - 13/02/2019 09:14

Two ways to release the soaked nut Ned, mole grips, or if it feels like it's going to shear use a Dremel with Tungsten Carbide tip to nibble either side of the nut until it splits.

If it does shear drill and tap a 3mm into the old stud, it just needs to secure the breather pipe.

Re: HELP!!! - 13/02/2019 10:44

Thanks Joe. will give it a go!

Re: HELP!!! - 28/02/2019 15:42

THE COUPE FLIES AGAIN!!
Many thanks to Joe of FCSS for the parts, assistance and patience in sorting out this problem.
40 litres of water in the tank does not improve the performance!
Thanks again Joe!:
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: HELP!!! - 01/03/2019 14:00

Good news Ned!
How did so much water get past the filler cap???
Hope you are all sorted now.

Re: HELP!!! - 01/03/2019 15:51

Originally Posted by Guzbod
THE COUPE FLIES AGAIN!!
Many thanks to Joe of FCSS for the parts, assistance and patience in sorting out this problem.
40 litres of water in the tank does not improve the performance!
Thanks again Joe!:

Great to know you're back up and running Ned thumb

Re: HELP!!! - 02/03/2019 10:07

The plastic upstand was chipped and the drain hole was blocked so when it rained water ran around the upstand and when it was above the level of the chipped hole it entered the petrol tank. It rains occasionally in Brittany so over time it built up until one day it would go no more. Thanks to a neighbour and Joe I finally got it sorted and now everything is fine again :))
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: HELP!!! - 02/03/2019 21:55

Must go and check my own Ned!
Glad you are sorted now.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK