Fiat Coupe Club UK

Source for 20v Air con drier?

Posted By: Anonymous

Source for 20v Air con drier? - 31/08/2013 10:24

Anyone know a source for a 3rd party air con receiver/drier for a 20vt?

I bought the one listed by Eurocarparts as compatible with the 20v Coupe but it was far too big and had the wrong connections.

All the 3rd party ones I can see on ebay look like the one I got from Eurocarparts, eg. item # 390584022334 :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-155...-/390584022334?

which is listed as fitting a coupe but clearly won't.
Posted By: mattB

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 31/08/2013 11:16

Are you after a new one specifically Graham? I've got aircon bits come off my car lying about somewhere in the garage if you want that bit?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 31/08/2013 11:32

Google for "drier 31-0035" that's what I've got, it's shorter than OE but the right diameter with the right connections on. I can't remember where I bought it from, it says "Cool zone automotive" on the box if that helps?

Even this one on ebay looks like it should fit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELPHI-dryer-air-conditioning-a-c-ac-air-con-receiver-FIAT-TSP0175004-/370878544652?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFiat&hash=item565a157b0c

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 01/09/2013 20:26

Matt - Yup, was after a new one really but didn't fancy giving Fiat £150+

Dave - Thanks, that looks spot on, found the same part on ebay for £14.14 delivered so has to be worth a try.

I just replaced the condenser and o-rings (had to buy 4 packs of the halfords "random" o-rings to get 2 that fitted the condenser) so just leak testing it now, if all OK then will replace the drier and that should be it ready for new gas.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/09/2013 14:01

Got the £14 TSP0175004 drier from ebay today and it looks perfect, exactly the same size as the original one.

It's marked "31-1006" so must be slightly taller than your "31-0035" drier, but dimensions and connections look spot on.

Unfortunately I only had one o-ring that fitted it from the 4 packs of Halfords random o-rings, so ordered another 4 packs for delivery tomorrow, hopefully will get 1 more of the correct size!

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/09/2013 14:43

Well I still haven't put my A/C system back together, so I might get one of those taller driers as well. But my local mobile A/C guy seemed to have no problem supplying the O rings, why don't you see if someone will let you buy the rings from them on the assumption that you'll be getting them to regas it later?
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/09/2013 20:16

"O" rings for the Coupé A/C can be a nightmare to get hold of. I bought several of the kits but struggled to find one compatible. Fortunately I was able to sell kits on.

I fitted one seal that was slightly thicker, at the pump reducer, and the alloy part cracked. Thankfully Joe sorted me a new alloy part and threw in a second hand "O" ring.

I sourced my dryer from Euro and it was perfect. Took them a few goes to get the correct condenser though!

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 21/10/2013 12:44

In the end I just went to local Kwik Fit and got them to regas it for £49, after doing the vacuum and leak test. All worked OK and is still working fine now.

So the Delphi drier (TSP0175004, marked "31-1006") was perfect, the condenser from http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk and the various o-rings from multiple Halfords assorted boxes were all OK.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 15/04/2014 22:28

6 months on and my aircon didn't work today, with the compressor failing to engage. Checked the pressure and it's down to about 20 psi so it must have a slow leak somewhere.

I did check it a few times over the winter and it was fine but obviously it's been losing pressure all the time and now is below the minimum required by the pressure switch.

Given that I fitted a new condenser and drier I suspect the random selection of halfords o-rings I used may be the problem, though I checked with the UV torch/glasses and couldn't see trace of a leak in the usual spots.

Did anyone pay the crazy price for the proper Fiat o-ring set and did it actually do the job?

Or is there anywhere else that generally leaks? Every mention of failed aircon I can find seems to be either a failed compressor, leaking condensor or failed condensor o-rings.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 15/04/2014 23:47

I acquired a proper Fiat Coupe o-ring set along with a new condenser and set of pipes a while ago from a seller on here. The packet contained a lot of o-rings of various sizes, none of which were correct, so I thought it must have been a one-off mistake, and anyway I only really wanted the condenser. More recently I bought another set from SGT Taplow via Parts Reunited and it was the same, a random collection of too many seals, none of which were correct, so I returned it for a refund.

There's no point in buying the proper Fiat o-ring set, get your friendly A/C service/regas guy to match up the sizes.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 16/04/2014 00:29

Not leaking where the brackets are joined to the condenser perchance?
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 16/04/2014 08:48

Mine leaks from the joint between the metal pipe and rubber pipe that sits on top of the radiator. It's a small leak but the UV dye is visible. Have a look and see if yours is the same.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 16/04/2014 15:13

Interesting, thanks for the info Dave, I'll skip the Fiat o-rings then.

Down to 11 psi today, now that the engine and gas has cooled overnight, so it's lost nearly all of the refrigerant.

I've checked the visible pipes and the joins at the condenser and they look OK. Maybe a tiny trace of dye at the join of the lower condenser pipe but I'd expect something more obvious if it's dumped 3/4 of the gas from there.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 10/02/2015 16:30

An update to this...

I've been trying to source another drier filter for when I replace my leaking aircon pipe, but the Delphi TSP0175004 mentioned above now seems to be the shorter 160mm one that DaveG mentioned, despite still being listed as 188mm on the Delphi site.

Ordered a TSP0175004 from 2 different ebay sellers and both sent a 160mm tall drier, with box marked TSP0175004. The one I got before was definitely 188mm high, the same as the original Fiat part.

After some cross referencing of part numbers I found the BEHR/Hella part 8FT 351 197-151 is the correct height and fitment.

Box is marked Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Lancia , 31-1006 and 8FT351107-151 . Available on ebay , item # 281091781628 although the colour is silver not black as shown.
Posted By: H_R

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 17/07/2015 11:51

Hi Graham, could of also of been Bob? I'm sure you have made other posts regarding air con parts and issues but cannot find them!

Just wanted to know if you needed any other bits to get it working and if so where you got them from

It's not worked since I've own the car 3 years now!

The eBay item is no longer available although I think I have located the same part from an Internet supplier (saved the webpage on desktop pc at home so no link at the mo)
I'm also going to fit a new condenser (external radiator) as it has fallen apart!
Hoping to do this sometime in the summer holidays so any help or advise would be appreciated in advance
Cheers Rich

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 17/07/2015 12:03

Same drier is now listed as ebay # 281744126481 .

Most common problem is leaking condenser , so replace that + the drier filter + o-rings where appropriate and then try a re-gas to see if it holds pressure.

It it holds pressure but still doesn't work then possibly relay, pressure switch or compressor is faulty, if it doesn't even hold pressure then you need to look for further leaks.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 17/07/2015 12:07

Cheers for the quick reply!!
I will update as I go
Cheers

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 27/07/2015 16:29

One note with regard the condenser...

On our recent road trip we encountered 30 degrees through Holland and my A/C struggled, even with the system on recirculation. When I replaced my condenser I could only find a Serpentine condenser (This is one long tube which is coiled over and comes back on itself with cooling fins in between).

Systems with R134A really should have Parallel flow design condensers (This was the Original Fiat Design on my Coupé).

The Parallel flow design has numerous passages and offers a significantly larger surface area for cooling and subsequently a more efficient A/C system.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 27/07/2015 16:31

Also, a good A/C place will pressure test with Oxygen free nitrogen to MAX system pressure. This will expose even the smallest of leaks and save on numerous expensive re-gasses.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 27/07/2015 16:48

Hi Thanks for the info! i will have to have a look at my condensor i think you are correct that the old one is parallel and im sure the replacement i found was a serpentine (not ordered it yet, will in a couple of weeks time)
So i think i will have another search for one!
Was it noticeably worse? i have an intercooler in front of mine so dont know if that will make a difference too??

We shall see!

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 27/07/2015 17:09

Looks like Alfa romeo 156 may be similar but wont be able to tell until i strip the front end down and measure up! (the mounting brackets are different but i don't anticipate that being an issue)
I will update when i get around to starting!
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/08/2015 18:57

I too, am looking at A/C condensers along with radiators. I have 2 suppliers in the UK that Ibhave found, one if which is Advanced Radiators who sell the Condenser and their supplier who are AutoAir near Bristol down very south. Seem common cost circa £200 for a condenser.

Any help.?

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/08/2015 19:39

Hi I have just ordered today!

http://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/2756824

I dont know if it is any good or fits properly but i have done some cross referencing and it should do! plus all the dimensions seem to add up!

The alfa 145 model shares the same part number and the dimensions seem to check out

I contacted the seller and asked if this was definitely a parallel type as opposed to the serpentine type but the reply was "the manufacturer has not provided that info"

Im happy to let you know if it fits ok when i get it or if you fancy taking a risk go for it!
They offered refund insurance for any reason for about £3 so i can return it at no cost!

cheers smile

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/08/2015 19:39

£61 for condenser from http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/ , not the parallel type.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/08/2015 19:49

Links on EPER both show same part number

coupe

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/08/2015 19:52

Originally Posted By: GrahamL
£61 for condenser from http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/ , not the parallel type.

GrahamL the picture suggests it's a parallel type! fingers crossed

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/08/2015 20:25

The one from http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/ isn't the parallel type, the one you linked from http://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/ does look like the parallel type, yes.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/08/2015 20:59

Originally Posted By: ScouseCoupe
I too, am looking at A/C condensers along with radiators. I have 2 suppliers in the UK that Ibhave found, one if which is Advanced Radiators who sell the Condenser and their supplier who are AutoAir near Bristol down very south. Seem common cost circa £200 for a condenser.

Any help.?

ScouseCoupe, make sure what you're getting has some type of barrier washer ( between the aluminium and the steel mounting bracket - I lost two rads due to corrosion this way.
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 22/08/2015 08:24

Originally Posted By: Edinburgh
Originally Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Any help.?

ScouseCoupe, make sure what you're getting has some type of barrier washer ( between the aluminium and the steel mounting bracket - I lost two rads due to corrosion this way.

Thanks. I will bear that in mind when I commit to do it. First though got to do the belts.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 05/09/2015 12:37

Just to let you know it was a serpentine type that turned up so it's going back!
Posted By: Possum

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 06/09/2015 07:27

Earlier this year had my air-con fixed by a local and long term Air-Con "doctor" as it had an electrical problem. Following treatment, it was the best ever in over 10 years of ownership.

Now back at the "doctors" as it had 'dropped' its gas. Yes, we have a serious leak which is a corroded pipe from the firewall to the filter. The pipe appears to be steel, not alloy, so after 20 years it has leaked. Speaking to the shop on Friday, they were leaving penetrating oil on the nut over the weekend, so, hopefully tomorrow, it will undo and can then be replaced.

Got to fix it as it is now Spring and the weather is certainly starting to warm up with days already in the mid 20s.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 06/09/2015 17:12

Makes me laugh the differences between countries! Mines never worked since I have owned it and i have only had a few days where it's been unbearable in 3 years but for you guys it's essential!
Hope you get it sorted!

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 06/09/2015 20:03

Air con is permanently on in all my cars, all year round.

Doesn't have to be hot to be useful.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 07/09/2015 09:27

Originally Posted By: 124coupe
Air con is permanently on in all my cars, all year round.

Doesn't have to be hot to be useful.

Ahh but you location is "down south" it's always hotter down south! biglaugh

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 06/10/2015 16:25

Ok correct condenser turned up today that's assuming the dimensions are correct not compared next to old unit yet, but I'm sure it's correct!

Parallel type part number NRF 35185
Comes with a fiat group sticker on the top don't know if this is to identify it in the factory or if NRF made these for fiat/Alfa Romeo! So possibly an original item?

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Hope the info is of some use to someone smile

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 09/10/2015 15:20

Great find. Where did you buy that from. I have tried to find the parallel type and gave up.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 09/10/2015 16:21

Hi this is where i got it from buycarparts.co.uk

This was the logo of the company

click to enlarge
this is what i ordered NRF 35185 but its not coming up when searching for the part for a Fiat coupe but does for an Alfa romeo 145, although if you look in suitable Vehicles it does list a Fiat Coupe 20vt!

This i think may be the place to order it from for France but please double check French site linked from co.uk but check its correct
May be cheaper places for french delivery so check first was also available on ebay uk

The part came from Germany and they would ring to confirm the order! which seemed a bit strange but it is all legit!
cheers

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 10/10/2015 08:03

Thanks for the link. I will give them a try.
Posted By: Deano

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 28/10/2015 13:02

Just to confirm the drier Graham linked to is the correct part, identical to the original.
I also found another source for the illusive parallel type condenser although when searching by reg for a 20VT it brings up the earlier 16V type with the tails. Searching by OE number 60630383 brings up the correct part:
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/condenser/bolk-bol-c0217025_g448_a999BOL-C0217025.html

Although it was out of stock so they sent me this:
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/condenser/frigair-0813-2002_g448_a3130813.2002.html

Which now happens to be out of stock too but who knows it might become available again.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 28/10/2015 14:29

Hi have a read above the last condenser you linked to may be the same one I originally purchased which was wrong nothing like the picture
first incorrect purchase

My second attempt was this, but no longer made any more

My third and successful attempt is in previous post and the thing they all had in common apart from being the dearer ones is the depth is around 16mm where the old serpentine type were all around 25mm
Hope that may save you some hassle and time

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 28/10/2015 17:40

Hi, sorry I wasn't being very clear (too busy trying to copy and paste on a smart phone)!

I ordered the Frigair Condenser in the second link from mister-auto.co.uk and the exact part pictured arrived which is identical to the OE part and went on a treat.

click to enlarge

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 28/10/2015 18:14

Oh Cool wink

I ordered one with that picture and that part number and it was an old serpentine type! wonder if they made a mistake? it was cheap too about £50 as opposed to the £110 i paid for the correct one
glad it worked out ok, i hate the hassle of returning stuff!
thumb

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 28/10/2015 19:58

Yea me too, luckily it was right, mister auto are based in France or Belgium!

Hopefully this helps someone in the future even if mister auto don't get any more in stock.

click to enlarge

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 09/10/2017 12:12

Has anyone ordered a 20vt parallel type aircon condenser lately and can confirm a supplier or part number?

Tested my aircon today and almost zero pressure. Checked the usual leak spots and couldn't see anything so had a look at the condenser itself and found this through the front grille with the UV light:

click to enlarge

and it's only a few years old and car has only done about 5K miles since it was fitted.

The serpentine style condenser didn't seem as good as the original parallel type anyway so hoping to source a parallel one this time if one can be found for under £100.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 09/10/2017 12:21

Originally Posted By H_R
Ok correct condenser turned up today that's assuming the dimensions are correct not compared next to old unit yet, but I'm sure it's correct!

Parallel type part number NRF 35185
Comes with a fiat group sticker on the top don't know if this is to identify it in the factory or if NRF made these for fiat/Alfa Romeo! So possibly an original item?

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Hope the info is of some use to someone smile

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 09/10/2017 12:23

Originally Posted By H_R
Hi this is where i got it from buycarparts.co.uk

This was the logo of the company

click to enlarge
this is what i ordered NRF 35185 but its not coming up when searching for the part for a Fiat coupe but does for an Alfa romeo 145, although if you look in suitable Vehicles it does list a Fiat Coupe 20vt!

This i think may be the place to order it from for France but please double check French site linked from co.uk but check its correct
May be cheaper places for french delivery so check first was also available on ebay uk

The part came from Germany and they would ring to confirm the order! which seemed a bit strange but it is all legit!
cheers

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 09/10/2017 12:23

A couple of years ago and I cannot remember the price sorry!

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 09/10/2017 15:09

Thanks, managed to find one on ebay (shipped direct from NRF in the Netherlands) at £121 , seems the NRF 35185 is the only option for the parallel pass type other than the geniune Fiat part which is showing as £579 on Eper!

As you said, the secret seems to be checking the depth is 16mm for the parallel type rather than 24/25mm for the serpentine design.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 09/10/2017 15:47

And just to confirm the original point of the thread since I ordered another one when re-gassing the aircon a few weeks back, the Hella "8FT 351 197-151" dryer is perfect for the 20vt and only about £13 on ebay.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 27/10/2017 12:13

Originally Posted By H_R
A couple of years ago and I cannot remember the price sorry!

Did you find that NRF condenser worked OK in the coupe?

I fitted the NRF condenser last night and just took car for a re-gas at Kwik Fit. Leak test was fine and it took the full charge of gas OK.

The compressor engages OK with the button but the air temp isn't really dropping at all. The Kwik Fit guy tested it with a thermometer and agreed it wasn't working so didn't charge me anything at least.

The gas is definitely still in the system as the compressor is engaging and I checked the pressure with a manual gauge and it was perfect.

It was all working fine until the leak in the old condenser caused the compressor not to engage due to low pressure, so not sure what to make of it.

Has anyone else fitted this NRF condenser with good results? If it physically fits OK and doesn't leak can there be anything "wrong" with it?

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 27/10/2017 15:51

Hi Graham, difficult to say really, when it was first gassed it was september 2017 and if i remember right not that warm
It did feel cold and make the cabin cooler, i also eventually got condensation on the outside of the windshield when on windshield setting
I also fitted a brand new drier the day before it was filled (said Toyota on the box dont know if thats who made it or if it was for a toyota)

Since then the compressor still engages and it does feel cold, but i have only done a few miles in it since, so not really properly tested it like on a long journey

Do you know the amount of gas they used? as i do remember reading lots of conflicting weights and seem to recall JBT saying it was a bit more than what Fiat state in the manual (don't know what was put in mine)

On the whole i would say, yes its fine, it does lower the temperature ok, i guess the hotter it is the more noticeable it is and the pipes to the condenser were very hot suggesting a good heat exchange?

I used a company called Bee Cool air conditioning services (not sure if they were a chain) price was £35+vat and that was their core business so probably know a bit more about them than Kwick fit! not knocking Kwikfit as they do my MOT but they may not be as familiar with AC in general

I know thats probably not answered your question but hopefully it helps
Best of luck sorting it

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 27/10/2017 20:47

Interesting, thanks.

I'm pretty sure it was gassed correctly as I watched them select "Fiat coupe 2.0 20v Turbo" on their air-con system when it was connected up to the car, as I always do. Checking the pressure with the manual gauge on the low pressure side it's showing just the same good charge level that it always does when it's been re-charged and worked OK before.

So it seems there's either something wrong internally with this condenser or some other problem has coincidentally appeared in the last month since it was last working OK.

I'll try changing the pressure sensor with a spare, I think that's about all I can do without de-pressuring the system.

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 28/10/2017 04:35

Do you know what gas they used?
I think there is a New NEW gas on the market that's even less efficient than the previous replacement!

For what its worth my company vehicle is a Mitsubishi Outlander 2013 model and the air con on that is useless, (the 2008 model i had was brilliant!), sent it back a few times and they keep saying its fine!
I also believe they stop doing anything below 16 degrees internal temp so possibly wont notice much difference (not sure if our Coupes are the same)
Posted By: Richie007

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 10/05/2018 16:55

Hi just about to buy some parts can I confirm that this part https://m.buycarparts.co.uk/nrf/2388545 is the correct condenser and Hella 8ft 351 197-151 dryer on eBay at £16.70 is the correct Dryer? eBay says it doesn’t fit but others say it does!

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 10/05/2018 17:31

Yes, the NRF 35185 is the correct condenser and the Hella 8ft 351 197-151 is the correct dryer.

The link for the condenser seems very cheap so may be worth confirming with them that it's definitely a genuine NRF 35185 they'll be sending and not an "equivalent" part.

Also, to finish the tale above the problem with my system after the re-gas at Kwik Fit was that not enough gas had been accepted into the system due to the engine + compressor being switched off while trying to re-gas it.

Over the years Kwik Fit have always carried out the re-gas with the engine/compressor switched off and it's always been fine, but for some reason on that occasion even though it was showing the correct pressure with the compressor off as soon as it was turned on the pressure dropped a lot and was below the minimum required to cool correctly.

I topped it up a bit with a DIY re-gas bottle from Halfords while the compressor was running and it's been fine ever since and still has good pressure now, 6 months later.

Strangely even the instructions on the DIY bottle have now changed... for years it always said to top up while the compressor was switched off, but on that latest one it says to top up while the compressor is running.
Posted By: Richie007

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 10/05/2018 18:02

I thought you paid £120 for the condenser this is discounted but I will email them. I’ll order this evening and email them to confirm it is a genuine part and not a copy they will be sending! Where did you get yours?

Re: Source for 20v Air con drier? - 11/05/2018 09:16

Yes, it was just over £120 I paid from an ebay seller when all other suppliers were at least £180 for the same part and so I confirmed it was the genuine NRF condenser with the supplier before ordering too. This one is only £91 which is down at the price of the inferior serpentine style, so it's worth checking just to be sure.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK