Fiat Coupe Club UK

Oil breather hose alternative parts

Posted By: Anonymous

Oil breather hose alternative parts - 25/09/2014 18:20

I'll put this here just in case anyone has the same problem and is searching for an alternative part in future, as the original part is no longer available from Fiat.

This is for hose #4 in the pic:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sinister/coupe/crankcase_breather.jpg

Got this sorted now, went with the fluoro lined silicone hose from www.autosiliconehoses.com

1 x Silicone Fuel & Oil Fluoro 90 Degree Elbow Hose - 19mm
1 x Silicone Fuel & Oil Fluoro Straight Hose - 1 Metre - 19mm
1 x 19mm - Custom Alloy Straight Hose Joiner - 50mm with Beaded Ends

With discount code "ASHHOSE" came to under £40 inc. next day delivery.

They only have the fluoro lined hose in blue, but otherwise it's perfect.

The 90 degree elbow goes from the output of the oil separator tank around the back of the block and ends under the thermostat, where you use the joiner piece and then less than half of the 1m hose to bring it down to the intake before the turbo.

At least this will stop the flexy intake hose before the turbo getting covered in oil vapour (as it has been on every 20vt I've ever looked at) due to the original hard plastic Fiat pipe not sealing 100% against the plastic joiner. The silicone hose tightens down properly and seals 100%.
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 12/11/2016 02:27

Wow wish I had searched for this sooner. My car has been laid up for weeks as I had given up on finding a suitable solution blush

Parts ordered smile
Posted By: skeandubh

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 12/11/2016 06:12

I can't seem to get the photo to load.

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 12/11/2016 10:21

click to enlarge
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 12/11/2016 10:44

Graham, is it worth replacing item 6 whilst I am at it?

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 12/11/2016 17:10

#6, the separator box itself? It's just a metal box, I don't see any advantage in changing it.

If you're *really* fussy you could remove and clean it out I guess, but with access being quite limited back there it probably won't be an easy job.
Posted By: liam_gill

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 08/01/2018 12:39

i know i'm bringing this thread back from the dead but the breather system is different on my 20vt6 i don't have no 5 or 6 . i'm just trying to find out how the bottom of the engine vents because i believe i have breather problems

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 08/01/2018 14:24

On the last coupes they did away with the oil separator and just dumped everything back into the intake, rather than splitting any liquid oil back to the sump directly.

So you should still have a breather hose exiting the cam cover at #2 and connecting down to the intake at #3 , with the non-return valve #7 coming off that hose with small bore hose #8 connecting back to the rear of the intake manifold.
Posted By: liam_gill

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 08/01/2018 15:10

thanks for that graham. johnny (jbt) thinks that i have a na block fitted and thats why my breather system is different
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 08/01/2018 20:08

This is a timely thread. Does the 1m hose allow some slack for pipe routing?

I bought a replacement OEM pipe and split it trying to get it to fit. I've been running pipe 4 cut at the oil tank end and bunged at the intake end, but want to get it plumbed in correctly.

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 08/01/2018 21:10

The 1m pipe is more than long enough and will need cut to fit, but there's not really anywhere else for it to go other than between the thermostat and gearbox and then down to the intake at the turbo.

If you've cut pipe #4 at the oil tank end and left it open you'll be sucking in un-metered air through the oil tank at idle when valve #7 opens, which won't be helping with your idling issue.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Oil breather hose alternative parts - 09/01/2018 07:19

I've ordered the 2 pipes and beaded metal section, came to £34 delivered.

I've been running this way since 2009 and not had an issue with idling, but have had enough with the oil deposits in the engine. Also take the point re: unmetered air I hadn't considered that before. Thanks for the help Graham.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK