Fiat Coupe Club UK

Dip stick

Posted By: Gripped

Dip stick - 10/08/2017 14:19

Does anyone else struggle with checking the oil?

I find it difficult to tell whether I'm at the right level as the dipstick is not particularly clear. At the moment, is seems "full" on the one side and half full on the other side of the stick. [yes, the car is on the level]

Any advice?
Posted By: ceg

Re: Dip stick - 10/08/2017 15:34

Google is your friend they say -- http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1470979
Posted By: markopolo

Re: Dip stick - 10/08/2017 15:36

I spin it round a few times so it's even both sides then pull it out an check it.
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Dip stick - 10/08/2017 16:24

Originally Posted By markopolo
I spin it round a few times so it's even both sides then pull it out an check it.

Yes but how do you read your dipstick! crazy laugh

Re: Dip stick - 10/08/2017 17:15

Brilliant. The guy described the exact same issue.

Sorted. Thanks
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: Dip stick - 11/08/2017 10:05

Yeah- i get that a lot Toby,

I think if you don't have anything halfway up one side of the dipstick; then that is the level.

You can't have it full 'on one side' but not the other.

I've taken to drying it fastidiously, before dipping it quickly back in to see the result. Plus I use a really good head torch...
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Dip stick - 12/08/2017 13:23

There is a photo somewhere showing the odd angle the dipstick enters the sump...leading to your issues.

Re: Dip stick - 13/08/2017 06:00

I must add that I have been checking my oil all these years.I just wanted to see who else had the same issues.

smile
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Dip stick - 13/08/2017 08:37

I've been checking my oil now on the Coop for nearly ten years & this is the really the first thing I learned. Not really too difficult but not straight forward either. Dark oil is easy to read, with fresh oil I have a clean cloth or paper towel at hand & lay the dip stick on top, the oil shows up exactly where it is.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dip stick - 13/08/2017 09:48

Originally Posted By Submariner
There is a photo somewhere showing the odd angle the dipstick enters the sump...leading to your issues.

click to enlarge
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Dip stick - 13/08/2017 12:23

Originally Posted By GrahamL

click to enlarge

Bingo!

bow

Re: Dip stick - 13/08/2017 21:10

Nice one. That really is a serious angle!
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: Dip stick - 22/08/2017 11:14

Good heaven's

I must eat my words

At that angle, you certainly could have more oil on one side than the other.

Thanks Graham...
Posted By: srm6

Re: Dip stick - 22/08/2017 11:34

On both threads (this one and the linked one) people have been advising spinning the dipstick round - but that just "inflates" both sides to the the level on the underside of the dipstick.

Isn't the point that you need the lowest reading (the one on the top) to show full to be at the right level?
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Dip stick - 22/08/2017 12:50

Originally Posted By srm6
On both threads (this one and the linked one) people have been advising spinning the dipstick round - but that just "inflates" both sides to the the level on the underside of the dipstick.

Isn't the point that you need the lowest reading (the one on the top) to show full to be at the right level?

That is a very good point. I've always twizzed it three times but as you say if the oil is not level twizzing the dip stick will equalise the reading from the fullest side! shocked I guess the only answer is to make sure it's level! (i used to have a spirit level on the slam panel of my old coop laugh )
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Dip stick - 22/08/2017 13:59

Originally Posted By GrahamL

click to enlarge

Not an awful lot of difference between "min and Max" when you see it from that angle...just shows how important it is to make sure they are topped up ...I'll be checking mine tonight!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK