Fiat Coupe Club UK

Engine Stabiliser Bar

Posted By: Lee_k

Engine Stabiliser Bar - 01/01/2018 20:41

Hi all,

So i can moved my engine around myself... movement appears to be the usual stabiliser bar.

I've seen the guide on here for putting powerflex bushings in which sounds great, but i'm a little put off by the cutting/drilling of the PU.

Are there any bushings i can buy that are a direct fit?

Lee
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 01/01/2018 21:17

I'm pretty sure I've seen the actual bars on eBay including the bushes
Posted By: sharman

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 06/01/2018 09:06

It depends which type you have. One type has the bushes in both ends of the stabilizer bar, they come with the bushes pre installed and are simple to fit.
The other type has one bush in the bar and the other in the alloy casing bolted to the engine. That's the hard one. Even if you can get the bush you'd have to remove that casing ( which is a huge job) to press the bush in.
When I did this I'd say that drilling the of the new PU bush was the easiest part of job
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 06/01/2018 09:52

just buy a good secondhand one off the forum -

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1612110#Post1612110

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 06/01/2018 10:34

The bushes everyone recommends are narrower than the original Fiat part but I found by grinding a few mm off each one I could fit two side by side in the bracket and that should work even better as it's contacting more fresh rubber in the outer part.

And only about £4 each, eg. ebay # 391160070361 or 362045851825 , or search for "Febi Bilstein 12062". The Quinton Hazell EMB2684 bush is identical but a bit more expensive.

Note that the very last coupes had a different stabiliser bar design so check if this applies to your 20v/t before ordering the above parts.

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 06/01/2018 10:36

Originally Posted By nismo
just buy a good secondhand one off the forum

They only look to include the built in bush at the top which doesn't wear, it's the bush at the engine support bracket side that wears and needs replaced.

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 09/01/2018 16:51

Yeah i was thinking of just replacing both bushes cause it seems pointless to only replace one

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 09/01/2018 17:02

The top bush isn't replaceable like the lower one, it would need to be drilled or cut out and a new one moulded in place manually.

On the few I've looked at the top bush was showing little to no wear at all while the bottom bush was showing high wear or actually falling apart, so it's definitely not "pointless" to replace only the lower bush.
Posted By: RedHotCoupePeppers

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 10/01/2018 20:23

So it's a no to powerflex? They are about £26 for the bushes
Posted By: ioksotot

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 10/01/2018 22:34

Been waiting for these to turn up before posting anything, but they arrived today and the quality is good:

click to enlarge

These are both bushes for the stabiliser bar in polyurethane, I came across the company by accident, they do a few Coupe bits including the front engine mount, they are called StrongFlex, coupe bits are here.

They are made to measure, unlike the Powerflex ones that you have to adapt (and I was told were not very good anyway once done). Not a bad price, cost was 29,19 Euro for both bushes and shipping to the UK.

I'll let you know what they are like once fitted laugh
Posted By: RedHotCoupePeppers

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 11/01/2018 21:43

Great news

Let us know if easy to fit etc.

I know I was quoted 3 hours Labour for both engine mounts to be fitted

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 22/01/2018 18:51

interested to know how they go!

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 26/01/2018 14:44

ioksotsot - did you get these fitted?
Posted By: ioksotot

Re: Engine Stabiliser Bar - 20/02/2018 22:29

Ok, quick update to this. The uprated poly bushes fitted really well to the stabiliser bar, and has made such a huge difference to my car. Had these done along with timing belt to make fitting the engine side a little easier but really easy to fit, could have probably done it in situ. No more clutch judder or problems getting into first gear while stationary. I would never have thought something so simple could make such a difference, drives like a new Coupe now!

Can't see much apart from a small amount of red of the poly bush:

click to enlarge

Hardest part was cutting the old bushes out! smash
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK