Fiat Coupe Club UK

Battery Maintenance

Posted By: Lee_k

Battery Maintenance - 03/01/2018 19:38

Hi all,

So for other cars like mine that are likely sit for months now (other than garage trips for odd jobs) what do you use to keep your battery alive during storage.

I'm under the impression the CTEk MXS charger is widely known as a good option - many people on here use it?

I saw halfords do a trick > maintenance charger for just £22 - anyone have this one?

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/g...tenance-charger

Thanks
Lee
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Battery Maintenance - 04/01/2018 08:46

I run mine for 30 minutes every week/10 days also try to operate the a/c for same time as well.

Touch wood - I've never had her not fire up on the button and don't seem to ever have the battery drain.

I've got a v old charger (via Halfords I think- that "maintains") but so far not needed it on TRS

I'll fire her up this weekend on the strength of this post.

Regards
MM
Posted By: bockers

Re: Battery Maintenance - 04/01/2018 08:58

How about a solar panel on the dash?
Posted By: Lee_k

Re: Battery Maintenance - 04/01/2018 19:31

Originally Posted By bockers
How about a solar panel on the dash?

Its in a garage - and apparently constant charging it what damages the battery.

Lee
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Battery Maintenance - 05/01/2018 05:54

Indeed. Your best bet, if possible, is to fire it up every now and then and let it run long enough to warm the engine up and recharge the battery - note that if you don't let it run you'll empty the battery since starting takes a huge chunk of charge from it.

Second best bet: a dedicated maintenance charger which will wait until the battery discharges sufficiently and then top it up.

Third - and cheapest! - is simply to disconnect the battery. Self discharge is tiny compared to the leakage via the permanently powered circuits: the central locking system, the alarm system, and (possibly, depending on head unit) the radio.

But those latter two don't get the fluids moving. Best of all is to take the car out of the garage every now and then and drive the damn thing laugh

That's my approach...
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Battery Maintenance - 05/01/2018 07:59

Also better to run it a short while (if you choose to start it up occasionally) otherwise you risk flooding the engine making it difficult to start next time.
Posted By: dicksog

Re: Battery Maintenance - 05/01/2018 15:39

I use one of these
https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/optimate-5-voltmatic

It recovers batteries, charges them and tests them periodically. I have a local sheep farmer friend, who has a collection of batteries that are left in fields, in all weathers, to power electric fences. He has a collection of chargers to maintain them, however every now and then he brings me some that his chargers won’t touch, I plug it in and within 24hrs they’re fully charged and ready to rock and roll.

Search on amazon and fleabay for discounted ones, but they are worth every penny
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK