Fiat Coupe Club UK

Rear pads and sliders?

Posted By: mr_nobut

Rear pads and sliders? - 11/05/2018 07:24

Decided to change rear pads and discs in advance of upcoming mot.

The discs were looking a bit pitted and rusty where they did't get a lot of use over winter.

The pads and discs I ordered were Delphi and seemed great quality given how cheap they were!! Not even worth trying to rescue the old ones at these prices!!

However the inner pad didn't fit into the carrier arm properly and needed a trim with an angle grinder!! (just the metal backplate bit) The outer one was fine and they were identical to the ones I removed but without the lower chamfer? Box clearly noted them as for Fiat Coupes 93 onwards and made sure supplier new what car it was for!!! Are there different types of rear pads for different Coupes as assumed they were all the same?

Also noted that the slider pins are different top and bottom? The top one has grooves down the sides so wasn't completely round, bottom ones had what looked like tiny 'shelfs' around it? Is this normal as again I though these would be the same and round? They would only fit back in in to the holes they came out of so not changeable.

Anyway....all on and rock solid...handbrake adjusted and seems to work a treat...bring on the mot!!!
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Rear pads and sliders? - 11/05/2018 08:09

According to ePer there are two part numbers 77365542 up until Lucas calipers were fitted "with warm stuck sheet metal on friction gasket" (which I assume means the anti-squeal backing material) and 77362087 after that. However ePer also shows the "classic line" pads 71770989 which are the same for all calipers, so I assume this means all pads should fit all calipers.

I've never seen this problem with ill-fitting pads, but have noticed the difference in chamfers between different (aftermarket) suppliers. Did you measure all the pads to see if they were identical, was the problem with the caliper itself?

The difference in slider pins has been noted before, I've seen the grooves and "shelfs" (you mean there's a bit missing a bit like a letter "D"?) I've never tried to deliberately swap them, and perhaps I've been lucky putting them back in the same position, but again eEper gives identical part numbers for both.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Rear pads and sliders? - 11/05/2018 08:26

My trusted garage usually use Delphi pads but after a while they would begin to squeal. Eventually bunged in Pagid instead which have been fine.
Posted By: mr_nobut

Re: Rear pads and sliders? - 11/05/2018 12:34

DaveG, Mines a 98 20vt so perhaps its got the later rear callipers and I accidentally bought the earlier ones which did have the metal anti-squeek plates!!...just assumed they were all the same...mental note to look more closely when ordering as there must be differences.

The only difference I could see is that the inner pad's metal backplate has to be chamfered off at the lower edges to fit within the support arm, the outer pad fitted fine as the support arm is thinner on the outside....Pad material etc is all the same size. rolleyes
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK