Fiat Coupe Club UK

Ongoing temperature issues

Posted By: X19_pilot

Ongoing temperature issues - 17/05/2018 07:30

I changed the thermostat on Tuesday as the car wasnt getting up to 90 degrees unless in heavy traffic. I have just come the scenic route to work, a good 10 mile run and until I hit traffic, the temperature didnt get close to 90 degrees. When it did hit 90 in traffic, it subsided again once moving.

What temperature should the car run at once warmed up? I am wondering if the thermostat is faulty (unlikely?), but I dont want to start replacing it again if I am just being paranoid.

If I have messed up the coolant mix ratio (dont think I did), would that affect the running temperature?
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Ongoing temperature issues - 17/05/2018 07:37

That sounds like normal behaviour
Posted By: mr_nobut

Re: Ongoing temperature issues - 17/05/2018 08:33

Hi, not sure exactly what the ‘normal’ temp performance should be. Mine is quite weather and speed dependand.
When cold it sits around 80 or lower when on a run only getting near 90 when stuck in traffic.
In summer, it’s nearky always around 90 and generally stays there except in traffic when it goes up a bit and fans come on!
Used to be really low all the time until I changed the thermostat.
Guessing as long as it between 75-90 then it’s ok and engine won’t run rich?
Anyone know what it is meant to do? smile

Re: Ongoing temperature issues - 17/05/2018 09:00

In that case, I changed the thermostat for no reason then as its running the same as it did before biglaugh Hey ho, its one less job to do in future!

Thanks guys, I am just having to remember all the quirks after 2 years not driving it, and my paranoia is still running high! thumb
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Ongoing temperature issues - 17/05/2018 09:13

Sounds ok to me.
Both my 20vt's ran around 75-80 in normal running and both had new thermostats fitted.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Ongoing temperature issues - 17/05/2018 11:26

Originally Posted By X19_pilot

Thanks guys, I am just having to remember all the quirks after 2 years not driving it, and my paranoia is still running high! thumb

Check the oil, check the oil, check the oil :-)

MM

Re: Ongoing temperature issues - 17/05/2018 14:17

Originally Posted By Master_Mariner
Check the oil, check the oil, check the oil :-)

MM

biglaugh I can remember that much! How could I forget? thumb
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Ongoing temperature issues - 17/05/2018 15:14

Have a look at this excellent howto with comprehensive info on running temps and gauge fluctuations
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK