Fiat Coupe Club UK

need new brake pads

Posted By: Henklia

need new brake pads - 28/07/2018 13:54

Hi,

My coupe sailed through the Dutch MOT for the fifth time without any problems. However the back brake pads are wearing thin and need replacing soon, before they start making the metallic noises typical of worn pads.

there is so much to choose from with a price ranging from a tenner to 50 Euros.

Any recommendations/ do's and dont's?

Henk
Posted By: mr_nobut

Re: need new brake pads - 28/07/2018 15:45

Hi recently did mine and used Delphi discs and pads (less than £30 all in)...however it is worth noting not all rear pads are the same as there were slight differences in the later rear calliper I believe...I had to trim a bit of my pads even thought they said they were for ALL coupes!!! Daveg posted:

According to ePer there are two part numbers 77365542 up until Lucas calipers were fitted "with warm stuck sheet metal on friction gasket" (which I assume means the anti-squeal backing material) and 77362087 after that. However ePer also shows the "classic line" pads 71770989 which are the same for all calipers, so I assume this means all pads should fit all calipers.

"I've never seen this problem with ill-fitting pads, but have noticed the difference in chamfers between different (aftermarket) suppliers. Did you measure all the pads to see if they were identical, was the problem with the caliper itself?."

I think the later calliper needs the more 'shaped' pads with double stepped sides rather than the more squarish 'classic ones' which I think also fit some Alfas.
The stepped ones should fit all coupes I think.....anyone one know which pads correspond to which calliper!! ooo
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: need new brake pads - 28/07/2018 16:34

My place used to fit Delphi's but after a while they squeaked when the surface wore off.

Turned to Ferodos instead, no problem.
Posted By: neil_r

Re: need new brake pads - 30/07/2018 07:38

Mine is (probably) a Feb/March 1997 build and has the Lucas cast iron calipers and takes the simpler profile pads, if that helps.

ATE says:

13.0460-2826.2 from VIN '47168 with aluminium calipers (stepped backing plate)
13.0460-2951.2 to VIN '47167 with cast iron calipers (not stepped backing plate)

I have had good experience with Ferodo pads, especially at the front. ATE pads are also fine if you are just looking for road pads.

Edit: The ATE pads are the only ones I have found with the comparatively high compound friction (edge) code FF. The rest are lower or unmarked.

Re: need new brake pads - 30/07/2018 18:04

I was advised to take bosch ones, because many car makers use bosch parts and because my mechanic has good experience with them. But does not drive a coupe. Mine is mid 1999 vis with the minor facelift
Henl
Posted By: neil_r

Re: need new brake pads - 31/07/2018 06:17

Bosch will be OK, as would ATE, TRW, Ferodo, Brembo, Textar/Pagid, Jurid, Zimmermann, etc., as these are also OEMs. The differences are very small.

Ferodo used to be OEM but I believe FIAT changed to a different supplier somewhere along the line or have a couple of suppliers.
Posted By: dicksog

Re: need new brake pads - 03/08/2018 16:05

I use the Ferodo ds2500 they are cheaper than the Pagids I had (were called Blue) and the performance is about the same and better than the originals

Re: need new brake pads - 21/08/2018 13:09

Replacing the rear pads requires a wind back set.
Is there a difference in winding the pistons back? Are they clock wise or anti clockwise? Can it be done without a wind back set?

Henk
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: need new brake pads - 22/08/2018 08:32

Both sides wind back clockwise. It can be done without a wind back tool but takes time and is not so easy. You have to turn and push in at the same time. A cheap tool will do the job easily.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: need new brake pads - 22/08/2018 10:01

I have (blush) done it with a g-cramp to maintain the pressure and a big screwdriver to provide the turning. As mentioned, it's not so easy.
Posted By: andyps

Re: need new brake pads - 22/08/2018 10:06

I've used the tool from an angle grinder to wind mine back in - not ideal but it works! I've got a proper tool now which was pretty cheap so will use that next time.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: need new brake pads - 22/08/2018 13:53

I fashioned up a tool from an old size socket which works pretty well
Posted By: dicksog

Re: need new brake pads - 25/08/2018 21:53

I have also used the tool, from an angle grinder!!

Re: need new brake pads - 10/09/2018 18:07

All done and dusted, bought a wind back tool and this made it very easy to change the pads. Definitely worth the money, about 18 quid.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK