Fiat Coupe Club UK

Fuel tank cleaning

Posted By: Edinburgh

Fuel tank cleaning - 30/07/2018 07:24

Any do's or dont's for cleaning out 15-year old fuel without damaging internal elements of this cumbersome mis-shapen entity?

Now off our project car.....
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Fuel tank cleaning - 30/07/2018 11:17

Hi Simon, being plastic I can't see being any rot inside, perhaps some sediment or gummed up. A good swish around with some fresh fuel may suffice, even some thinners if you suspect stubborn crap, then swiftly with fresh fuel. Have you access to one of those cameras that look inside small spaces? That would be handy.

Re: Fuel tank cleaning - 30/07/2018 11:44

Cheers Jim, yes I've got one of those cameras, good idea...

The fuel which came out was full of dirt so think there may still be some lurking around.

I'm slightly cautious about using a jet wash for the inside .....
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Fuel tank cleaning - 30/07/2018 13:27

Another thought would be a radiator shop, they would make it squeaky clean or DIY steam clean it .
Posted By: mikndo69

Re: Fuel tank cleaning - 03/08/2018 10:55

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Any do's or dont's for cleaning out 15-year old fuel

Don't smoke laugh
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Fuel tank cleaning - 05/08/2018 17:43

Originally Posted By mikndo69
Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Any do's or dont's for cleaning out 15-year old fuel

Don't smoke laugh

Well, you *say* that, but a couple of colleagues and I once got short-listed for Scrapheap Challenge largely because we couldn't ignite some old petrol...

Re: Fuel tank cleaning - 05/08/2018 17:56

All spruce now thanks to two musketeers' jetwash labour...

..an apparently common casualty occurred in the form of a broken union on top of the swirlpot, but Nigel to the rescue thumb

"Thinks".....If the headlights were designed as Mr Bangle has said, what was he imagining with the fuel tank .....
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK