Fiat Coupe Club UK

Advice on Brakes please

Posted By: GaryW

Advice on Brakes please - 31/12/2018 12:07

Hi. The MOT on my 1999 20VTP is coming up soon. It got an advisory last year on the brakes not being up to scratch. It currently has plain discs front and rear, but would have had vented, cross-drilled when new. No idea what pads but guessing budget branded. I’m thinking of investing in new discs therefore and pads to match. Any suggestions on what make dross-drilled discs to go for and what pads? More interested is stopping than being ultra faithful to what would have been on the car when new. All help gratefully received! Gary
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Advice on Brakes please - 31/12/2018 12:34

Hi Gary, Mtec discs are deemed pretty good without blowing the budget married up with known pad brands will do the job. Worth looking at the calipers to see if they are working as they should, changing the brake fluid & a general service that is connected to the braking system like the rear compensator, handbrake function/cables/pipes while you are at it. Has to be done, the Coop system is well known to seize up if ignored.

Best of luck... smile
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Advice on Brakes please - 31/12/2018 19:23

I must say that I wouldn't have waited until the next MOT was almost due. However Jim's advice is sound.
Posted By: acc67

Re: Advice on Brakes please - 01/01/2019 14:41

The front calipers corrode underneath where the pads slide causing them to bind
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Advice on Brakes please - 01/01/2019 14:45

Originally Posted By acc67
The front calipers corrode underneath where the pads slide causing them to bind

Especially the lower of the 4 shims
Posted By: dicksog

Re: Advice on Brakes please - 02/01/2019 15:53

I’m on my second set of mtecs, grooved ones, can really recommend them. I started with pagid blue pads but have switched to ferodo ds2500 same performance less money
Posted By: GaryW

Re: Advice on Brakes please - 02/01/2019 18:12

This has been very helpful. Thank you. I agree that leaving wasn’t my best plan, but they aren’t sticking, just seem a bit slow to warm up and I can really notice the difference between them and those in a more modern car.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK