Fiat Coupe Club UK

Brake Master Cylinder variants

Posted By: Kelv27

Brake Master Cylinder variants - 03/01/2019 03:52

There seems to be variants of the brake master cylinder for the coupe. The one on most 20vt I see are the short stubby ones like these..

click to enlarge

However, most pictures on the internet are showing them to be the longer type like these...
click to enlarge

I've always assumed that the longer ones are for the NA and 16VT models..however, some sites are listing the long ones for the 20vt too.

Can anyone confirm what the differences are and if the long ones are also compatible with the 20vt?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Brake Master Cylinder variants - 03/01/2019 09:06

The long brake master is 16v n/a and turbo only, they don't fit the 20v vacuum assist unit Kelvin.

Re: Brake Master Cylinder variants - 03/01/2019 10:45

I thought as much. Thanks for clearing that up Joe. Don’t see anybody listing the 20vt one for sale with the correct image though. Are they hard to come by?

I’m actually just needing the the 2 L-shaped plastic connectors and its rubber seals but had no luck. The size of the connectors on those long master cylinders are more common it seems.
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: Brake Master Cylinder variants - 03/01/2019 13:56

I've got one of these on a coupe I'm breaking

Pm me if you're interested
Posted By: avtokrator

Re: Brake Master Cylinder variants - 12/05/2019 21:20

And now the question I have is are these fully interchangeable? I don’t have any record of which type my first 20vt had, but my actual one, late 20vt6, has the longer type and almost sure from new. One thing I’m sure 110% is the first one had better braking power than the newer one with the longer cylinder.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Brake Master Cylinder variants - 13/05/2019 05:21

Kinda a bit offtopic,but is 16vt cylinder interchangable on 16v?

Re: Brake Master Cylinder variants - 13/05/2019 06:41

Originally Posted by avtokrator
And now the question I have is are these fully interchangeable? I don’t have any record of which type my first 20vt had, but my actual one, late 20vt6, has the longer type and almost sure from new. One thing I’m sure 110% is the first one had better braking power than the newer one with the longer cylinder.

As Countrycruising mentioned, the long cylinder only fits on the 16v vacuum unit only. If your 20VT6 had the longer cylinder then I can only assume that a different vacuum unit was fitted with it as well. I think what dictates the braking power feel is the amount of servo assist the vacuum housing is providing..rather than the master cylinder itself.

Re: Brake Master Cylinder variants - 13/05/2019 06:41

Originally Posted by Dorian
Kinda a bit offtopic,but is 16vt cylinder interchangable on 16v?

I think they are the same.
Posted By: avtokrator

Re: Brake Master Cylinder variants - 13/05/2019 14:07

Good to know thumb Think I read somewhere there is difference in the piston/pedal travel so some sort of adaptor had to be put in between to correct the issue, otherwise interchangeable. Don’t know of any other 20vt nearby to compare visually the vacuum assist units, because you’re right - it’s mainly the vacuum unit diameter and the relation between master/brake cylinders pistons diameters. I’m thinking to change the master cylinder soon and was just few days ago when I discovered I have the longer type, which, by the way, is notably cheaper and easier to find.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK