Fiat Coupe Club UK

Detailed

Posted By: Trappy

Detailed - 07/11/2017 14:51

A few months ago, I asked a pal of mine if he knew anyone who could do a good machine polish on my coop. He gave me a name on the spot so I called and booked it up. This weekend, he came over and spent a good 6hrs correcting the paintwork on the old girl.

here's his account

As it turned out, not having a clear coat applied back in 2014 was a bad thing. The paint was also very thin too, only 70 microns apparently. As he explains, this meant he couldn't get rid of all of the marks from bid lime / baked in water marks, but it don't half look good anyway!

smile
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Detailed - 07/11/2017 15:19

No clearcoat? Why ever did they not apply it?

It looks good!
Posted By: Serg1

Re: Detailed - 07/11/2017 16:12

Excellent job.
Posted By: robcal

Re: Detailed - 07/11/2017 18:24

Looks great. Did they come to bas vegas or did you go to them?
Posted By: H_R

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 06:34

Looks Really nice Trappy!

Im currently at this position but deciding to have a go myself or pay someone?

I like doing stuff like this so will probably do it myself and hopefully not ruin it!
It only has some swirl marks to remove, i will still be cacking myself though

Luckily i have my daughters car then wifes car to practice on first laugh
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 07:58

Could it be clear-coated now to preserve the paint?

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 09:17

Originally Posted By Submariner
No clearcoat? Why ever did they not apply it?

It looks good!

He painted it with 2k / 2 pack. He's a bit old school in hindsight. I was a bit ignorant rolleyes

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 09:17

Originally Posted By robcal
Looks great. Did they come to bas vegas or did you go to them?

He came down from Braintree thumb

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 09:19

Originally Posted By H_R
Looks Really nice Trappy!

Im currently at this position but deciding to have a go myself or pay someone?

I like doing stuff like this so will probably do it myself and hopefully not ruin it!
It only has some swirl marks to remove, i will still be cacking myself though

Luckily i have my daughters car then wifes car to practice on first laugh

We spoke at length about his first few attempts practicing on any old panel he could get his hands on. If you have the room, that seems a sensible idea to me rather than potentially ruin otherwise decent paint.

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 09:27

Originally Posted By Mark_S
Could it be clear-coated now to preserve the paint?

As it is, no. But he did say he knows a guy that could possibly take a bit off and then respray and lacquer it. As the car is otherwise straight (it has two chips and no scratches / dings at all) there would be very little prep so would save a few bob on a full respray.

It's the only way it'd be perfect again I feel. I'm just going to keep it clean and always waxed for now.

Here's a link to his website if anyone is interested.

www.detailedessex.com

He's a good lad. Real car nut (we spoke for over an hour before he even started!) and really does care about the cars like they're his own thumb
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 11:49

Looks great that Trappy and your mans website looks good. cool Very reasonable i'd say. Might give him a go next year after I've had a bit of touching up done! if he'll travel of course.

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 13:40

Originally Posted By came2dance
Looks great that Trappy and your mans website looks good. cool Very reasonable i'd say. Might give him a go next year after I've had a bit of touching up done! if he'll travel of course.

He said he's booked up until January next year now. Hasn't had a day off work since March! When your hobby is your job and all that smile

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 13:42

I don't know if anyone read the comments on the FB page but some bloke who knows him posted up saying he had a coop many moons ago. Used to go by the name of Shabba if anyone remembers? hehe

SENlord
Ridden 4 pots
Z4 that sounded like a Nascar
Once went in an F40 etc.

Small world!
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Detailed - 08/11/2017 21:13

The SENNY. Shabbas a blast from the past!

The Coupe looks stunning by the way!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK