Fiat Coupe Club UK

16vt with b/a gearbox

Posted By: petio333

16vt with b/a gearbox - 05/08/2017 11:13

Hello there, I drive a 16v n/a which recently blew up. I took the oppurtunity to buy a 16vt engine with a stage 1 remap (makes about 240-250). Sadly I wasnt able to find a gearbox for it. My question is if the stock 16v n/a gearbox will be able to handle that power or I should spend some more time searching for a 16vt one.
Posted By: Scuderia

Re: 16vt with b/a gearbox - 07/08/2017 10:27

The gearbox is not as strong but it will handle the power. It's not a direct replacement however so its not a practical solution IMO.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 16vt with b/a gearbox - 07/08/2017 15:52

You will also need to consider the front suspension, brakes, steering rack etc...
Posted By: Honza

Re: 16vt with b/a gearbox - 08/08/2017 04:08

there was few cars here runnign 16VT (or 8VT engine on Atmo gearbox...) the atmo gerabox is the same as was used in Punto GT instead of bellhousing, and GT has sometimes more power and Nm than 2ltr NA... so it can survive..

the cars were pretty quick because of shorter, NA, final drive... (my friend had Tipo 16V with modified 8VT engine from dedra -after death of stock 16V and instead of swapped engine, rest was stock.. -brakes, gearbox, steering..)

as the 16VT has same brakes and only difference is front suspension (shock absorber, spring..) you can use stock 16V.. but improvement to "better" material would be vital..
Posted By: petio333

Re: 16vt with b/a gearbox - 08/08/2017 07:31

Yeah, everything from the front suspension turned out to be different, but sadly I couldn't find a parts car and I need the car ASAP so I have no choice.

However, I don't know if the 16v clutch will work as it seems to be way different
Posted By: kj16v

Re: 16vt with b/a gearbox - 08/08/2017 09:00

The 16vt clutch is a pull clutch. Whereas the na clutch is a conventional push clutch. I recently converted an Alfa GTV TS (same box as coupe na) to a Coupe 16vt engine and gearbox. The parts that needed changing were:

16vt Clutch slave cylinder
16vt Driveshafts
16vt Hubs
16vt shocks and springs
16vt gear tunnel with gear stick and cables.

Whereas if you use the na box I think it will bolt straight to the engine. I don't know if you'll need to change the flywheel though. The na box isn't as strong as the turbo one (though probably okay for a low power turbo engine?) And obviously has no Visco!
Posted By: Honza

Re: 16vt with b/a gearbox - 08/08/2017 16:25

coupe 16VT has push clutch 215diameter..

if you have 16VT engine with bigger FLywheel (bigger clutch disk area), then you need Lancia dedra Turbo push type pressure plate... which will fit to doweling pins pattern and which has suitable diameter for 230mm clutch disk.

I have in my modified 16V NA delta integrale steel flywheel (235mm dia surface) 228mm dia clutch disk from OMP, and dedra turbo pressure plate...fits perfectly.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK