Fiat Coupe Club UK

4 inch MAF

Posted By: Anonymous

4 inch MAF - 06/08/2017 20:26

Hello guys, I wanna make a 4 inch side intake, and I was wondering if the maf sensor will work without a honeycomb in front of it, or it will affect the idle? The car will be mapped after that to suit the bigger housing. Has anyone done this mode? Any advices?
Posted By: knight7660

Re: 4 inch MAF - 06/08/2017 20:33

FC Performance have a 4 inch MAF conversion so drop him a PM mate
Posted By: deannn_20VT

Re: 4 inch MAF - 08/08/2017 17:56

Why don't you ditch MAF and use MAP? That is if you are using a stand alone ecu.

Re: 4 inch MAF - 10/08/2017 21:18

I'm on stock ecu!
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: 4 inch MAF - 11/08/2017 06:13

Contact Flea on here or email him.

http://www.fcperformance.co.uk/
Posted By: Honza

Re: 4 inch MAF - 11/08/2017 16:10

honeycomb before sensor has function - it make the airflow more even (velocity profile) across the pipe diameter, so you have more precise data from sensor... without it you get the data somehow distorted based on the shape of current velocity profile.. but it will somehow work.
Posted By: RedHotCoupePeppers

Re: 4 inch MAF - 21/10/2017 18:12

What is standard maf size

What does increasing the diameter do and would you need to modify anything via remap or using avcr?

Re: 4 inch MAF - 24/10/2017 15:01

Standard maf size is 76mm and it maxes out at around 400hp. If you increase the size of the housing you need to remap the ecu.

Re: 4 inch MAF - 24/10/2017 18:23

I tried to solve bigger MAF properly rescaled in bosch ecu. But this 2.10.4 ecu has some limiter and when new maf reads higher hex value than maximum value from oem calibration curve, its throw MAF DTC error. I bandaid it by disable this DTC message, but still have problems with stability around idle(very big injectors, ethanol fuel...)
Only way without DTC error is to not touch scale curve, just roughtly adjust maf axis to suit real condition. But still will be weird condition for example decel fuel cut will not be engaged correctly, ect.
So i decided to convert to "normal" standalone ecu.

Btw stock maf maxes at cca 300bhp and my tested 3.5" housing(bmw OEM maf housing incl. honey mesh) maxes at cca 400bhp. Confirmed by measuring, not repeating info from internet;)
Posted By: kj16v

Re: 4 inch MAF - 24/10/2017 21:58

Originally Posted By PhoB
I tried to solve bigger MAF properly rescaled in bosch ecu. But this 2.10.4 ecu has some limiter and when new maf reads higher hex value than maximum value from oem calibration curve, its throw MAF DTC error...

...Btw stock maf maxes at cca 300bhp and my tested 3.5" housing(bmw OEM maf housing incl. honey mesh) maxes at cca 400bhp. Confirmed by measuring, not repeating info from internet;)

You can definitely get 400 bhp with the stock MAF and housing. I've done this myself.

Also there are two 10x1 MAF limit tables, one at CE3F and one at CE55. These allow you to raise the MAF limit - or you can just disable that nonsense by filling them with 255s laugh

Re: 4 inch MAF - 25/10/2017 10:04

Originally Posted By kj16v
You can definitely get 400 bhp with the stock MAF and housing. I've done this myself.

Also there are two 10x1 MAF limit tables, one at CE3F and one at CE55. These allow you to raise the MAF limit - or you can just disable that nonsense by filling them with 255s laugh

Im not talk about physical restriction, i was about voltage signal to ecu. I done 400bhp on stock maf also, but there is start to be lack of resolution for multiple boost levels or parthrottle accel at high rpm.

Two limiters tables, and others limiters i try to find not have influence on problem i noted, i think its must be somewhere some single value limiter of max kg/h value (MLMAX called in newer motronics) or something like that. I tested, last value on stock MAF curve is 1C95 hex at 5volt, which calculate is cca 914kg/h, i rescaled curve for 3.5" housing to read up to 1250kg/h at 5volt and every time maf signal passed 1C95 (which was in my curve little after 4volt) i recieved MAF error (incl.Injector light on dash). If you have different experience let us know.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK