Fiat Coupe Club UK

High power coils on 16vt?

Posted By: Anonymous

High power coils on 16vt? - 30/11/2017 12:57

I've been looking for high power coils for the 16vt, thinking that better sparks should give better combustion, better power and cleaner emissions (which is good, considering my planned "fake catalytic converter" exhaust system... We're forced to have cat's in Norway...). I've found this site: http://www.torquemaster.it/mainuk.htm
but found no price list. They do, however, look a bit like MSD coils, so I'm wondering if anyone has used MSD coils before, or has any idea which coils to use? Or any other options on high power coils?

Considering the oe ones: they are the same as Uno/Punto FIRE engines, so I think the 16vt would be better off with some that can really ignite the sparks better...

Atle
Norway
Posted By: Begbie

Re: High power coils on 16vt? - 01/12/2017 08:06

See thread below this one wink
Posted By: kj16v

Re: High power coils on 16vt? - 01/12/2017 09:52

There's no more power to be had by changing igntion system; spark plugs either ignite the fuel or they don't - and if they don't you'll know because the engine will misfire.

It may be possible to gain a very marginal improvement in low speed emissions by widening the spark plug gap, but then you'd just be making it harder for the plugs to spark at high engine loads.

The stock wasted spark ignition works fine. for well over 400 bhp.
If you want to improve emissions and power significantly, have the cylinder head gas flowed and also buy a tubular exhaust manifold to make the engine breath better.
Posted By: Honza

Re: High power coils on 16vt? - 01/12/2017 17:39

and istead of fake CAT use proper high flow cat with ECE approval.. eg. some 100CPSI core from HJS/EMITEC which has high amount of precious metal on the coreand allows best exhaust gas clean with reasonable lifetime.... Biggest size you can fit - approx. 130mm OD...(there is some recomendation what size and cpsi sutis to certain bhp..)

bevare of 200CPSIor higher density - on engines with high amount of exhaust gases/big overlap and high TDC lift cams they can make troubles with too much of backpressure which can cause loss of power, or in worse cae misfire at higher load/rpm.. its my experience with 200CPSI/104mm OD diameter cat on highly mofified 2l NA engine.. now, with 130mm 100CPSI everything is OK..

Re: High power coils on 16vt? - 02/12/2017 16:23

Originally Posted By Begbie

I'm not going to fiddle around with coil on plug, as long as I'm not converting to standalone ignition system... smile Thought is to achieve as much flow as possible through the exhaust; hence throwing away the cat. But then, I'll have problems with Norwegian MOT... Firstly, they require all cars after a certain production year to have cat's, so I was planning to use a dummy one to fool them. Second, I'll need to make sure the emissions won't be a problem. That's why I'm thinking of achieving better combustion...

Re: High power coils on 16vt? - 02/12/2017 19:43

Originally Posted By Honza
and istead of fake CAT use proper high flow cat with ECE approval.. eg. some 100CPSI core from HJS/EMITEC which has high amount of precious metal on the coreand allows best exhaust gas clean with reasonable lifetime.... Biggest size you can fit - approx. 130mm OD...(there is some recomendation what size and cpsi sutis to certain bhp..)

bevare of 200CPSIor higher density - on engines with high amount of exhaust gases/big overlap and high TDC lift cams they can make troubles with too much of backpressure which can cause loss of power, or in worse cae misfire at higher load/rpm.. its my experience with 200CPSI/104mm OD diameter cat on highly mofified 2l NA engine.. now, with 130mm 100CPSI everything is OK..

I've beenCurious about sports cat's, but not knowing what is good or not... Thanks for explaining about differences between 100 and 200 cells versions. ECE approval is a must...
Posted By: Honza

Re: High power coils on 16vt? - 03/12/2017 06:21

guy at MOT can recognise if the cat is working or not (dummy), as the emmision results are much higher than should be.. (acc to manual concent of HC with cat should be less than 90ppm whereas without cat the amount of ppm is almost ten times higher... the same for carbon monooxide..)

on cars with electronic injection/ignition there should be something very wrong (worn engine-valve seats, piston rings, leaking injectors, misfiring ignition), or should be highly modified to exceed emmision levels...which aerts the guy at mot station

in czech you should have complete exhaust system, and exhaust gases are analyzed "online"... so there is almost no way how to fake it smile thats why I dealt with the cat

here is rought guide what size of body and density of substrate suits to certain bhp levels:

click to enlarge

but in case of high amount of exhaust gases and big cams I would preffer 100CPSI substrate only - those engines are higly sensitiveto small increase of backpressure..

here is also some reading (exhasut manufacturer for Porsche) :

http://europipe.be/exhausts.html
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK