Fiat Coupe Club UK

Can you recommend me some sound proofing material

Posted By: HiraethHuw

Can you recommend me some sound proofing material - 12/08/2018 17:11

The gutless Scenic has been replaced by a 1.6 petrol Suzuki s cross.
Chosen for it's size, relatively low tax, it's a petrol that loves to rev, and its in my budget.
It drives well, but alot of motorway driving recently has recently highlighted it's lack of refinement as it's bloody noisy. Road noise.
It has carpet (wow) and sound proofing material under that so I'm thinking of two things:-

1) Applying the self adhesive pads to the metal work to the bulkhead and around all four arches inside the car, and
2) Undersealing the metal behind the arch guards under the car to reduce resonance.

Has anyone done this to any car, and can they recommend products which work, as there's quite a choice on e- bay?

Thanks

Ps swapping the car for a quieter one is not an option for five years
smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Can you recommend me some sound proofing material - 12/08/2018 18:19

Be interesting to see how you achieve this bud,
Good shout all the same, with road noise also wouldn't a better quality tire lower the noise travelled too?

Re: Can you recommend me some sound proofing material - 12/08/2018 20:13

Hi Dan
Tyres were my first thought too, but it's riding on Continental ecocontact 5's which seem to have a good noise rating.
They are factory fit and just three years old so shouldn't have 'gone off' yet.
There's not much in the way of sound proofing once the trim is off.
Hence why the car is so cheap, only weighs 1050kg and is bloody noisy at speed.
Didn't notice on the test drive as the kids made so much noise argue
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Can you recommend me some sound proofing material - 13/08/2018 06:31

Boot floor area is the area where most road noise eminates from, followed by floorpan, then doors, arches and pillars. Roof area is the least. I did my coupe earlier in the year and used peacemat sound deadening for the boot, wheel arches and doors. You don't have to cover every single centimetre of the area when applying this for the required deadening effect. I then put waterproof hydroweld sound insulation over this, covering the entire area, and reduced noise in the cabin by about 70%. I didn't do the floorpan as the old fiat stuff still seemed in good condition.

try a company like www.carinsulation.co.uk
there is lots of good info on their website and they do kits for different vehicles

Re: Can you recommend me some sound proofing material - 13/08/2018 20:18

Thanks Pete, that info was just what I was looking for.
As a result, I've ordered some self adhesive sound proofing mat, and enough to do the boot floor as well as the other bits.

I've also thickly undersealed the wheel arches behind the liners, as I've read that can help.

You achieved a good reduction with your Coupe. I hope to achieve a similar result.

Cheers
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK